Getting upset

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm getting upset, annoyed and increasingly frustrated by lots of the posts I read on here.

GPs that will throw one medication after another at a diabetic who is getting worse results at every check up, and not even a hint of suggesting that lowering carb intake will help the patient. :banghead:

On a positive note, I love reading the success stories and the people who have great results after even a few months !

clanders

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm getting upset, annoyed and increasingly frustrated by lots of the posts I read on here.

GPs that will throw one medication after another at a diabetic who is getting worse results at every check up, and not even a hint of suggesting that lowering carb intake will help the patient. :banghead:

On a positive note, I love reading the success stories and the people who have great results after even a few months !

Hi Daisyduck!

Well done you! Great blood sugar results

Last edited by a moderator:

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes frustrating maybe... but I think the important thing to remember though is one diabetic is not the same as the next. It's great to say ok what works for me should work for everyone, but it's not always achievable for everyone for various reasons. Although yes looking at your carb intake makes sense. I think I stated elsewhere on this forum that I now eat foods that cause me the least pain.... and for me that means carbs most of the time. I'm trying to eat vegetables more but I wind up in pain. I can't eat most fruit. I can't eat a steak or roast meat without being in pain for days. I can't eat bacon or cured meats.... the list goes on. So yeh one can only do their best to try and please all their ailments. I've concluded that pretty much all food is bad for me.

coleyd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes, we know that, but most GP's won't even prescribe a meter :(
Mine wouldn't n thr nurse gave me 2nd hand one because it's the only strips she could prescribe me and they restricting me to 1 strip a day it seeks do stuff them I will just buy my own. In fact I juat told the gp I'd be happy to be left alone and juSt get my hba1c done once or twice a year or whatever the nhs have let me down so badly over the years that it's no surprise. I'm vit d deficient and I had to practically beg for a check up vit d after my last request was refused . I want to know if my treatment is working !

Reactions: daisyduck

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Blame the food and pharma industry for controlling all the government and other bodies dietary advice. The new Eatwell Guide is a case in point as it was produced and approved by the food industry big names who make fat profits out of carbs. They also deliberately fund much of the university research to help influence the outcome. Those in the NHS are told to follow this (bad) advice. Have a look at the British Dietetic Association website advice for diabetes as just one example or even DUK. This is one of the professional bodies for dieticians who work in the NHS. All of this is referred to as 'evidence-based' and you have to dig quite deep to find the truth and lack of evidence behind it all.

Reactions: clanders

clanders

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes frustrating maybe... but I think the important thing to remember though is one diabetic is not the same as the next. It's great to say ok what works for me should work for everyone, but it's not always achievable for everyone for various reasons. Although yes looking at your carb intake makes sense. I think I stated elsewhere on this forum that I now eat foods that cause me the least pain.... and for me that means carbs most of the time. I'm trying to eat vegetables more but I wind up in pain. I can't eat most fruit. I can't eat a steak or roast meat without being in pain for days. I can't eat bacon or cured meats.... the list goes on. So yeh one can only do their best to try and please all their ailments. I've concluded that pretty much all food is bad for me.

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
That all sounds just awful - is your tummy fairly bloated too?

Yes, I'm always bloated... been that way for years. I have chronic burping as one of my symptoms too. All the usual remedies don't work on the gas either because it's actually created because my GI tract doesn't move properly and traps air. I have severe dysmotility of my GI tract which causes hypersensitivity and severe spasms. I have the same problem with my throat, but it's called different names. My doc explained basically my autonomic nervous system isn't functioning properly, so the muscles don't move properly.

clanders

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Autoimmune GI dysmotility: A new direction
Mayo Clinic has a distinguished history of investigating neural autoimmune disorders. An important aspect of this work concerns the occurrence of autonomic disease in an immune setting and the discovery that immunotherapy can be beneficial for patients with autonomic disease.

In the September 2014 issue of Neurogastroenterology & Motility, Mayo Clinic researchers report the first objective evidence that immunotherapy may reverse autoimmune GI dysmotility. The study illustrates the importance of considering an autoimmune basis for acquired idiopathic GI motility disorders.

"The concept that you can have predominantly GI dysmotility — without necessarily having a lot of symptoms in other areas — and the conclusion that it is due to an immune mechanism affecting the nervous system of the gut is rather novel," says Sean J. Pittock, M.D., a consultant in the Department of Neurology at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, and founder of the autoimmune neurology clinic there. "But if the immune system can cause inflammation of the optic nerve, spinal cord or cerebral cortex, then why can't it cause a problem with the gut? After all, the gut contains 100 million neurons — more than the spinal cord or the peripheral nervous system."

AGID appears to be relatively uncommon; most GI symptoms are caused by other diseases or have a functional basis — for example, irritable bowel syndrome. The term "dysmotility" refers to abnormal movement of food, nutrients and waste through the digestive tract. With AGID, the presumption is that the nerves controlling the GI tract are being targeted by immune cells, resulting in altered neural function and thus, altered GI transit.

AGID can be disabling. "Patients who have these problems are miserable. They have no appetite. They have terrible abdominal pains and constipation. Often these patients undergo lots of diagnostic testing and multiple consultations," says Lawrence A. Szarka, M.D., a consultant in the Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota.

The Mayo Clinic research was a retrospective case study of 23 patients seen at Mayo Clinic for suspected AGID, in whom an immunotherapy trial was undertaken. Seventeen of the patients improved after the six- to 12-week immunotherapy trial. Autoimmune serological evaluation revealed a neural-specific antibody in 12 of the 17 responders (71 percent). Symptomatic improvements were generally accompanied by objective evidence of improved GI motility and autonomic function on repeated scintigraphic, manometric and autonomic function tests.

"The observation that the immune system may be attacking parts of the nervous system and causing disorders that we might have explained away as a functional problem opens up possibilities for new, directed therapies to help the patient's GI symptoms," says Joseph A. Murray, M.D., a consultant in the Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota.

"Treatment options for gastroparesis — a condition where the stomach does not empty food — are extremely limited, and the ones that exist merely facilitate gastric emptying or treat the symptoms. The idea that there may be a treatment that targets the underlying cause of gastroparesis is exciting," says Yuri A. Saito Loftus, M.D., a consultant in the Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota.

AGID diagnostic panel
Mayo Clinic's standardized approach to autoimmune neurological conditions is based on three M's: determine the maximum reversibility of signs and symptoms, which also serves as a diagnostic test; maintain that maximal reversibility; and do so with minimal therapeutic dosage, thus reducing the likelihood of side effects.

When AGID is suspected, patients are given a 12-week "diagnostic" trial of intravenous immune globulin or methylprednisolone. A response to immunotherapy in the acute treatment phase of suspected AGID has diagnostic as well as therape

Reactions: Mep

clanders

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, I'm always bloated... been that way for years. I have chronic burping as one of my symptoms too. All the usual remedies don't work on the gas either because it's actually created because my GI tract doesn't move properly and traps air. I have severe dysmotility of my GI tract which causes hypersensitivity and severe spasms. I have the same problem with my throat, but it's called different names. My doc explained basically my autonomic nervous system isn't functioning properly, so the muscles don't move properly.
Hi Mep - Mayo clinic has a body of research - I couldn't get it all on here but it's worth a google. Hope it helps. Clanders

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Mep - Mayo clinic has a body of research - I couldn't get it all on here but it's worth a google. Hope it helps. Clanders

@clanders - that looks very interesting. Thank you. :) My docs are saying what I have is severe. They apparently have never seen anyone present as severe as I do. For this reason my gastroenterologist wanted me to be checked for dystonia which is a neurological disorder. But this info from Mayo if correct is probably more likely my problem.