muckinfunkie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Metformin 750mg x 2
Glicazide 80mg x 2
44yrs
280lb
5`-7`

After doing loads of research on LCHF,Keto and IF lifestyle, I`m now 25g of carbs and under most days including 2 weekly gym weight training sessions and two HT MTB rides per week to which i wasnt losing any weight...I might of lost a few inches but for the amount of training i`m doing weight should be falling off...And yes i know i`m weight training but not for mass its strength training and only twice weekly.
I asked the doctor for a review in coming off my meds she looked at my results to which she told me i`m not in the type 2 range anymore.....So the big break through is the Glicazide has been dropped but i have to carry on with the Metformin for now until the 8 week blood results.
Why dont doctors check patients like us to see if we can reduce or taken off our meds other than us having to force them into making this decision.
Keto with intermittent fasting looks to be the best for us Type 2 for weight loss and well being.
I`d like to hear if anyone else has dropped their meds and what path they taking on diet.

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Why dont doctors check patients like us to see if we can reduce or taken off our meds other than us having to force them into making this decision.
You're probably not going to like my answer, but it's the truth.

From a doctors' perspective, if a patient didn't make the necessary lifestyle changes prior to their diagnosis, why would they suddenly make those necessary changes after their diagnosis? If it were truly as simple as diet and exercise (no medication) what's different now rather than before aside from an official diagnosis?

I realize that's a bit harsh but not everyone takes their diabetes diagnosis as a wake-up call to make the necessary lifestyle changes which is why the situation is what it is.

spendercat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty. I am kind.
Because human nature is such that we don't believe bad things can happen to us until they do!
Who wakes up before they get the wake up call? Not me. I thought I was normal until I found I wasn't.
Besides that the bad news is exercise does not make you lose weight. It makes you healthier.
Low carbing does not make you lose weight unless you are eating fewer calories than you body needs to sustain itself. You just can't gain weight very easily, so every pound you lose stays off.
You are experiencing the typical plateau of LCHF dieters, after the initial fast weight loss. Keep going, weight loss will be slow but sure.

Reactions: Serena51

Davecummins

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Metformin 750mg x 2
Glicazide 80mg x 2
44yrs
280lb
5`-7`

After doing loads of research on LCHF,Keto and IF lifestyle, I`m now 25g of carbs and under most days including 2 weekly gym weight training sessions and two HT MTB rides per week to which i wasnt losing any weight...I might of lost a few inches but for the amount of training i`m doing weight should be falling off...And yes i know i`m weight training but not for mass its strength training and only twice weekly.
I asked the doctor for a review in coming off my meds she looked at my results to which she told me i`m not in the type 2 range anymore.....So the big break through is the Glicazide has been dropped but i have to carry on with the Metformin for now until the 8 week blood results.
Keto with intermittent fasting looks to be the best for us Type 2 for weight loss and well being.
I`d like to hear if anyone else has dropped their meds and what path they taking on diet.

Similarly I have been suggesting reducing my meds for about a year as research indicates T3c Diabetes is not affected by gliclizide. Any way last week I suggested once more to stop it and see what happens. Since stopping it my glucose readings have been lower. Of course I am being more careful with my diet so that has helped but reducing the meds has forced me to be careful. I see my nurse on Wednesday and will suggest cutting the metformin by half and seeing what happens with that. I am sticking to a low carb diet and after an initial weight loss of about 10kilos I am stable, mainly because I was eating more. I am now back being careful hence the improvement. Hopefully it will continue.

Reactions: Serena51

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was on 2x500Mg Metformin daily at diagnosis when my HbA1C was 99 and blood glucose 13.1. A few months later my HbA1C dropped to 59 and I then only took one Metformin tablet a day. My blood glucose was typically 6.0-6.5 at that time. Three months after that when my HbA1C dropped to 44 I stopped taking Metformin.

I have gradually cut out all high carb foods and started intermittent fasting, e.g. 16:8 fasting where you eat only within a 8 hour window per day e.g. 12:00-20:00. I didn't notice any rise in blood glucose after I stopped Metform. My blood glucose levels have continued to drop over time and are now around 5.0-5.5. The low carb diet I haver been on has allowed me to lose a lot of weight, about 13 Kg in the last year. My blood pressure is also better. Other benefits include more energy and better concentration. I did agree my reduction in Metformin with my diabetes nurse.

Reactions: Davecummins

Davecummins

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Sound like you are managing your diabetes very well. I’m T3c so meds just do not work for me and given I am quite thin anyway cutting carbs and fasting has a negative effect. Keep up the good work.