Gliclazide

mufc19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya everyone, I'm new to the forum tho I've been a diabetic since the 21st September 2012, I'm currently on 2000mg of Metformin a day but its not working properly so they have put me on a tablet called Gliclazide on top of the metformin, I must admit I'm rather worried about the new medication as I've seen a few posts about weight gain, hypos and so on, could someone please tell me what to expect who is on them as well as me, Many thanks in advance :)

B

badcat

I've been on glic for the last 17 years with no real problems - yes there is an average weight gain of a few pounds (4-5 on average I think) and you need to test more ( on the plus side the nhs are more likely to support you in doing so) to ensure you don't go too low - I've only had a few readings below 4 over the years and those were all picked up fine.
I find glic better than metformin which gave me all manner of muscle and stomach problems

pav

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been on them for a few months, I was told about the weight gain, so far touch lots of wood I don't think I have put weight on or if any very little. With gliclazide you can't skip a meal like you could with metformin, you need to eat to feed the meter or risk hypos.

Think if am not careful will end up putting weight, though my food intake and type of food I eat has changed since being on gliclazide. A meter will also tell you what foods will cause you to spike in your BS, by regularly testing .

To start with I would test first thing in the morning when waking, then 2 hours after breakfast then pre meal and 2 hours after meals and last thing before bed in case you need to have a snack. You might need to do other random tests to identify if you have any problem times when your BS goes low and experience hypo symptoms.

Always have sweats like jelly babies, fruit pastels etc on you and in the car, as a just in case.

If you don't already have a meter, you will need to get one, which you can normally get free via the suppliers like Bayer, Abbott Medisense, Life Scan, Accu Chek etc. You could always be cheeky enough (politely) and ask for 2 meters one as a main meter and one for you to carry around with you.

You will then need to get a prescription for test strips, which you should be able to get as you are now on meds that can cause hypos, plus if you drive you are required to test before driving and every 2 hours until journey has finished. That uses up quite a few test strips with me.

mufc19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for your replys :) You have made me feel a lot easier in myself, Its really appreciated :)

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Firstly - welcome to the forum. :)

Metformin and Gliclazide do two different jobs. Metformin prevents the liver from producing glucose and Gliclazide tries to trick the Pancreas in to producing insulin. So it could be that Metformin is doing it's job but your system may need a boost with Gliclazide to help control your blood sugars.

I'm on both tablets plus I'm also on Insulin and only just starting to get reasonable control.

Like pav said you need to be careful about eating when on Gliclazide as there can be a risk of hypo particularly if you skip a meal or leave a long gap between meals. This happens to me occasionally.

Start taking the Gliclazide as prescribed and see how you get on.

Good luck

mufc19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank You Scottish-jim its really appreciated, I suffer from Pancreatitis that's why I was a bit worried and after seeing that program on Channel 4 the other week I got myself in to a right panic, but after a good chat with my GP today and the help on here has really really helped me.