glucograf III

Summermum

Is there anywhere in the UK to get the Bernstein Glucograf charts?
Trying to low carb and from reading his book these charts look quite useful. Anyone have any experiance of them?
Thanks x

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi Summermum theres a home made version of Dr B's Glucograf that you can download in PDF format available from the link below

http://www.dsolve.com/additional-resour ... -glucograf

I also found a resource where anyone who is interested in Dr B's book The Diabetes Solution can read it free on line, link below

(Advertising link removed. Google as above for more information)

I read this book after I was first diagnosed and actually thought it was quite interesting but definitely NOT for me but its worth a read especially if you dont have to pay for it like I did :(

Summermum

Thanks Sid :D
I'm trying to read lots ( I'm a bookworm) and take the positive and dump the negative. I'm trying to use what I feel will work for me or adjust it until it does. The Bernstein book appealed because he's a diabetic who's taken control of his own body and that appeals to me.

I've now lost a stone low-carbing and actually feel much better. My GP is OK with it, says the only risk is my sugars go too low so has prescribed testing stuff and encouraged me to work it out for myself :p

Not sure if the glucograf is more use than the book that came with my meter. Any thoughts?

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Summermum said:
Not sure if the glucograf is more use than the book that came with my meter. Any thoughts?

I actually used the little record books that come with the Accu Check meter and when the first one ran out I phoned Accu Check and they kindly sent me more :) They fall down because there is not enough space to record a pre and post meal reading clearly and no where to put food, exercise info, but I don't see th Glucograf being much better.

When I was testing every meal and more as I was on insulin when first diagnosed I found I had to keep the Accu Chek record books to see trends and also a food diary which was simply me writing down every meal/portion sizes etc together with bg test results. I just used a little note book from a supermarket which I found worked well although mostly I just seemed to remember what portions of what sort of foods I could eat once I had fine tuned them. New potatoes where first I believe then basmati rice then chips etc etc. Now I dont have to think about it and the only thing I weigh out is corn flakes as 20g looks very small in a breakfast bowl :lol:

I'm quite laid back about it all now but I still remember how when first diagnosed I was almost obsessed with tight control to the point of counting the chips I would eat. I still keep pretty good control but without beating myself up over it. And hopefully it will stay that way for a long time but I appreciate that my good efforts may not always be enough and when that happens I will need more medication, but having been on insulin for a year it would no horrors for me if at some point in the future I would need to use it again, just not too soon I hope :D

Due an Hb A1c this week or next and hopefully it will be under 6 again as usual (fingers crossed)