GlucoRx Nexus Glucose meter

Kenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I got my meter, GlucoRx Nexus a couple of weeks ago from the shop on this site. I have learned to use it and have PC connectivity but there are a couple of caveats. I went onto the Gluco website to download the software. I happened to notice the self same machine as mine was on sale for £5:99. Compared to the Diabetes shop price of £16:94 Postage would , of course be added making it around £19:70 or so. (paid already) Now there was no obligation on the Diabetes shop to tell me, if indeed they knew. However, that is a serious mark up. Especially if the Diabetes shop got their meter from Gluco. One last point about Gluco. On their site they were selling USB/Micro leads for connecting the meter to a pc and implying theirs was the only really suitable one. at £8:50 plus possible postage I said no to that. I got one which worked perfectly; in a Glasgow PC shop for just £5:00. Rant over, lesson learned

Kenny

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Kenny 3

To be honest, I feel it's up to the individual buyer to shop around to find the item at the best price. At least, on the internet, you don't literally have to walk around all the different shops to do this.

I go to Google, type in the item I'm thinking of buying and then look at the different links to see what each price is, taking into account the cost of postage.

So, I feel it's down to you as to where you chose to buy your meter. Sorry to disappoint you

As for mark-up, it's up to the seller to decide what price to charge for an item. Some may well price their goods even higher than the Recommended Retail Price and some can chose to be lower than the RRP. The cost of postage could well be higher on the item with the lowest price tag, meaning the more expensive of the two could actually work out cheaper when postage is taken into account.

Over the months/years I seem to accumulate lots of connecting cables so I don't think I'll have a problem needing to buy a cable to connect to PC. I'll just be able to choose a suitable one from my 'box of tricks' :) Besides, it's often worth checking out ebay for such a cable but be sure to buy from a well-rated seller.

Sorry not to sound more supportive but it seems you may have a bit to learn re shopping for the best bargain. ;)

Kenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi @Kenny 3

To be honest, I feel it's up to the individual buyer to shop around to find the item at the best price. At least, on the internet, you don't literally have to walk around all the different shops to do this.

I go to Google, type in the item I'm thinking of buying and then look at the different links to see what each price is, taking into account the cost of postage.

So, I feel it's down to you as to where you chose to buy your meter. Sorry to disappoint you

As for mark-up, it's up to the seller to decide what price to charge for an item. Some may well price their goods even higher than the Recommended Retail Price and some can chose to be lower than the RRP. The cost of postage could well be higher on the item with the lowest price tag, meaning the more expensive of the two could actually work out cheaper when postage is taken into account.

Over the months/years I seem to accumulate lots of connecting cables so I don't think I'll have a problem needing to buy a cable to connect to PC. I'll just be able to choose a suitable one from my 'box of tricks' :) Besides, it's often worth checking out ebay for such a cable but be sure to buy from a well-rated seller.

Sorry not to sound more supportive but it seems you may have a bit to learn re shopping for the best bargain. ;)

========================================================================================
Yes, you are correct about the shopping around. I normally do this,I did it for the USB cable and got it from a reliable well rated dealer. Well, I have bitten the proverbial bullet. I know the people who run this site need some sort of financial support to help out though I will probably shop elsewhere for any diabetes related items. Having said that, I have just about all I need in that line, except to purchase new test strips

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
========================================================================================
Yes, you are correct about the shopping around. I normally do this,I did it for the USB cable and got it from a reliable well rated dealer. Well, I have bitten the proverbial bullet. I know the people who run this site need some sort of financial support to help out though I will probably shop elsewhere for any diabetes related items. Having said that, I have just about all I need in that line, except to purchase new test strips
Sounds great
Hope you don't find the test strips too expensive. If you do, consider the SDCodeFree as the test strips are the cheapest available and the testing is reasonably reliable, as far as I know. If you do decide to go for CodeFree, contact the manufacturers, tell them you are considering getting this one but not sure re the £££ outlay etc and you may get sent a free meter ;) Worth a try, ey? :) Nothing to loose :)

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I bought some test trips for my GlucoRx this weekend at my local chemists vat free they were £15 for fifty strips.