GlucoRx Nexus time setting and beep

iharding

Today I picked up a new GlucoRx Nexus meter, as my GP's surgery is switching all patients over. I have no problem with this, but have run into a couple of annoyances not covered by the manufacturer's FAQ:

1. The meter already came set with date and time, but the clock is an hour fast. The instructions on setting up the meter say to press the button with no strip inserted then press the button again when the year is flashing. Trouble is, the year doesn't flash. The M (for memory I assume) symbol flashes for a few seconds, then the strip port light starts flashing to prompt me to insert a strip. Pressing or holding down the button during this doesn't start the date or time flashing.

2. The meter beeps at power on, then when a sample is taken. I have an abhorrence of electronic devices that beep, and anyway I don't want to be sitting in a restaurant or concert hall unable to test my blood without annoying those around me. There's nothing in the manual about disabling the beep. Does anyone know how?

Thanks,
Ian

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To change the time you need to use the "set" button which is found to the side of the batteries. Lift the battery cover and you should see the button. It's a bit fiddly but I managed it ok.

As for the beeping - I'm not sure you can turn it off but I'll have a look through the handbook and let you know. :)

iharding

Brilliant, thank you! Didn't even see the "set" button next to the batteries. I just thought the instructions meant the button on the front.

The beeping is a deal-breaker for me. If there's no way to turn it off I'll need to persuade my GP to allow me to continue with my OneTouch Verio and it's more expensive strips. Alternatively, there are a couple of screws next to the batteries on the GlucoRx - maybe there's a wire I can cut inside :D

iharding

An impressively quick out of hours reply from GlucoRx customer service.

They confirm there is no way to disable the beeping :(

iharding

Just in case anyone else finds it useful:

Taking the meter apart involves undoing two screws, one either side of the batteries. These will fall out when loosened. The back of the meter comes apart but it's still clipped at the front - a little pressure pops it open into two separate pieces. At this point the strip eject button, a spring, and the USB port cover fall out so it's a good idea to do what I did and work over a tray!

On the main circuit board, the beeper is a round item with a red and black wire leading to it. I snipped one of the wires and folded both ends back then taped to avoid any possibility of making contact with anything else in the meter. It's easy to re-locate the USB cover, and the spring goes back between the clip ejector switch and a small plastic post inside the meter. Clip the front of the meter gently together, do up the screws, and you're done. No more beeping :D

Needless to say, do this at your own risk, but it's really easy and you have the option of rejoining the wire if you change your mind in future.

Ian