Glucose down already

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
Good morning all - my level was 11.7 this morning which is the lowest it's been for 2 weeks ( only officially diagnosed T2 yesterday) early days yet I know - glad I've got the monitor despite my GP saying not to get one . It's made me feel less stressed already

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
Good morning all - my level was 11.7 this morning which is the lowest it's been for 2 weeks ( only officially diagnosed T2 yesterday) early days yet I know - glad I've got the monitor despite my GP saying not to get one . It's made me feel less stressed already
Well done - its all about being in control - you controlling the T2 not the other way round! A good idea is to get a diary and plot your levels when you test. It makes satisfying reading when you look back and see the levels going down.

GPs really need to rearrange their ideas as to whether we should test or not - how else could we manage our diet otherwise?!

Reactions: dbr10 and Debzz_

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
Well done - its all about being in control - you controlling the T2 not the other way round! A good idea is to get a diary and plot your levels when you test. It makes satisfying reading when you look back and see the levels going down.

GPs really need to rearrange their ideas as to whether we should test or not - how else could we manage our diet otherwise?!
Thankyou- certainly don't get much positivity from the GP - I'm really quite shocked about how little they tell you - awful

Reactions: dbr10

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done, and keep going. Make sure you record everything, including your food, and look out for trends and patterns.
:)

Reactions: Debzz_

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
Thankyou- certainly don't get much positivity from the GP - I'm really quite shocked about how little they tell you - awful
I must admit it's appalling - I had to push them to get my test strips and lancets on prescription - I bought my own monitor after seeing how much of a battle it was to get one free. I have yet to see a dietician at my GP's practice - a friend of mine recommended that I ask to be referred to my local diabetic clinic - which is more helpful for me because it is near where I work in the centre of Manchester. None of them is perfect but at least I got to see a consultant - and they do proper blood work. They always try to push statins on you - I've been prescribed them but I'll be damned if I'll take them - way too many risks. One step at a time I think is the mantra - and don't beat yourself up! I was unfortunately predisposed to develop T2 on 5 counts, white, over 40, overweight, immune problems (and on steroids because of it) and underactive thyroid. Rude shock to find it out but be philosophical and don't get stressed (I know easier said than done!). Exercise is the key - I walk roughly 40 mins a day approximately 5/6 days a week. This makes a huge difference with my levels. On the days when my levels are slightly higher than I would like - if I can I'll go for a walk before breakfast and put the higher BS level to use. Just some (metaphorical!) food for thought.

Positive thoughts coming your way!:)

Reactions: Debzz_ and dbr10

Jay-Marc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For reasons that are beyond me, the accepted healthcare 'wisdom' is that regular testing increases anxiety particularly if there is a particularly high reading or two.

This could be translated into 'ignorance is bliss'. It isn't. Ignorance is ignorance.

When on the way down a series of readings provides continual encouragement, as well as information on what an individual can eat or might best avoid.

After that much of the time an individual high reading can be traced to something, maybe a food item or a moment of stress. A prolonged slightly elevated level might be result of some kind of infection. Discovering a persistent significant rise though can set off alarm bells before other symptoms.

In summary, it empowers you.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ignore that advice. Testing will allow you to modify your diet.

Reactions: Debzz_