Glucose meters

Jc3131

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What meters does everyone use?

I have been sent a Contour next one meter and it has more options than my current meter. Well I can download an app for it so it may be better to keep track of my levels.

Im currently using Accu-Chek performa nano and it does what its asked.

The lancets for the Accu Check meter is a lot easier to to use as it has a barrel with 6 lancets in. The Contour one needs changing after every use

Does anyone have any experience with either of these meters? And am I better off sticking with my current meter or trying this Contour one?

Last edited:

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I use an SD Codefree mainly because of the cost of the strips - although my GP is now prescribing 50 per month so that's become less of an issue. I record my readings in an excel spreadsheet and plot them on a graph. The lancets are really cheap, £4.99 for 100 I think.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I only change lancets every week or two if it makes any difference. So the 6 gun lancet revolver thing wouldn't influence me at all.

D

Deleted Account

Finger pickers are interchangeable. There should be no reason why you can not continue with your 6 lancet barrels.

Kazza63

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I use an Accu check expert monitor which is brilliant as you put all of your carb to insulin ratios into it and it works out your insulin requirements based on BG and carb intake and what insulin should still be in your system from your last injection + a few other extra functions My doctor gives me 150 strips a month and a box of barrel lancets so I am lucky. Rang accu check Friday as my old expert was playing up and they sent me a new one out free of charge, arrived today. That’s what I call customer service. It was out of warranty too. I’d be lost without this meter.

Big_Col

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Accu-Chek Mobile for me. Having everything in one piece of kit makes it so easy on the go.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Accu-Chek Mobile for me. Having everything in one piece of kit makes it so easy on the go.

I've got the Accu-chek Expert and really like it. Just wondering whether the Accu-Chek mobile would be even better? I do carry round quite a lot of stuff, and, believe it or not, I still write my results down (!) old school, despite having the excellent analysis on MySugr as well. Overkill maybe.

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other

I have been sent a Contour next one meter and it has more options than my current meter. Well I can download an app for it so it may be better to keep track of my levels.

The lancets for the Accu Check meter is a lot easier to to use as it has a barrel with 6 lancets in. The Contour one needs changing after every use

Does anyone have any experience with either of these meters? And am I better off sticking with my current meter or trying this Contour one?

I've been using the Next Contour meter for the last couple of years.

There have been times in the winter where it gives me an error but we heat our place using wood and sometimes it's 10 C in the morning - I have to keep the meter in my pocket for about 10 minutes to warm it up but most people don't live like I do so I suspect it would not be a problem.

Other than cold temperature issues I seldom get an error ... with the Contour Next One (kind of looks like a memory stick) - I tried that one too - liked the app but I discovered it seem to go thru batteries much faster, it would give me more errors resulting in a replacement which gave me the same issue so I went back to the standard Contour Next.

I may have had just plain bad luck as this didn't seem to be an issue for anyone else at the time. But I don't mind the Contour Next

For me personally, I don't think I'll go back to the Contour Next One

Big_Col

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've got the Accu-chek Expert and really like it. Just wondering whether the Accu-Chek mobile would be even better? I do carry round quite a lot of stuff, and, believe it or not, I still write my results down (!) old school, despite having the excellent analysis on MySugr as well. Overkill maybe.

It's not something I bother with but you can connect it to a PC and view results and trends. Also, my local hospital can download the information off it whenever I've been.

It's just the convenience. No mucking about with strips and lancets; they are all contained within.

Reactions: lizdeluz

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use the Dario kit sometimes. The meter, the strips (25), and the lancet device are all in this kit. The meter thingy plugs into my Samsung phone (or iPhone). Pretty slick, I always have something with me to check with. Just open the app on the phone. Whole kit with 50 strips was only like $40. Strips are 100 for $40. Cheap. I use cheaper strips at home and work, but this thing is great for the other occasions.
Sorry I can't upload it the file's too big it says. The kit is 10x3x1.5cm

Last edited:

Bertyboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Currently have an SD Code free which I self-fund because it's cheap enough to do so. My prescription is for a Glucomen Aero 2k. This is supposedly more accurate and comes with a few ketone strips as well. The best thing about it is the ease with which I can get the data onto my phone via NFC - no need to take the meter out of its case; instant chart updates. The downside is that it does require a reasonable amount of blood - I've wasted about 6 or 7 strips so far by not getting a big enough blob. And the lancet that comes with it is pants so I used the SD one.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Currently have an SD Code free which I self-fund because it's cheap enough to do so. My prescription is for a Glucomen Aero 2k. This is supposedly more accurate and comes with a few ketone strips as well. The best thing about it is the ease with which I can get the data onto my phone via NFC - no need to take the meter out of its case; instant chart updates. The downside is that it does require a reasonable amount of blood - I've wasted about 6 or 7 strips so far by not getting a big enough blob. And the lancet that comes with it is pants so I used the SD one.

Why are you self-funding blood glucose monitoring as a type 1? NICE provides that you should be provided with as many test strips as you need. If the SD code free monitor is your monitor of choice, just ask for the strips to be put on your repeat prescription, they are available on prescription, although apparently some pharmacies struggle with finding them, if so this thread might help - http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/sd-biosensor-codefree-on-nhs-prescription.94922/

If you don't like what you've been prescribed discuss alternative monitors with your DSN or if you decide codefree is what you want get the strips for that on prescription. There's really no need to be self funding.

Gabrielle_Tai

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Currently using Accu-Chek Active (provided by my gp including 150 strips monthly) and One Touch Select Simple( self funded). Both are great meter but cannot wait for my Dexcom G4 to arrival (but will still love both my meter since i still need to poke twice a day to calibrate my CGM).

emmawhit32

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullying if you have nothing nice to say don’t say anything!

I’ve always used the accu check meters find them very reliable! I use the accu check Aviva expert which counts carb to insulin very good machine

Bertyboy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Why are you self-funding blood glucose monitoring as a type 1? NICE provides that you should be provided with as many test strips as you need. If the SD code free monitor is your monitor of choice, just ask for the strips to be put on your repeat prescription, they are available on prescription, although apparently some pharmacies struggle with finding them, if so this thread might help - http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/sd-biosensor-codefree-on-nhs-prescription.94922/

If you don't like what you've been prescribed discuss alternative monitors with your DSN or if you decide codefree is what you want get the strips for that on prescription. There's really no need to be self funding.
I use the SD as a secondary monitor and a buffer in case I forget to put in an order for another 50 Glucomen strips (btw, I'm not sure if there's a limit I can put on a single prescription request?). The strips are dirt cheap so I don't mind.