Going on to Insulin

Scubastu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed type2 about 9 years ago and gradually the oral meds stopped working until 4 months ago had a really bad chest infection and couldn't throw it off, turned out I had a HbA1c of 120 and my imune system was struggling. It was sugested that the meds weren't working and would i consider insulin. Spoke to a couple of type 1 friends and they said it would be the best thing to happen to me.
So I was put on Insumen comb25 twice a day morning and evening and told to just keep upping the dose till my blood glucose was in the right range. Which i did until I was taking 42 units a day ( the more you eat the more insulin you need etc. vicious circle) I put 5kg in weight on in less than 2 weeks. I thought this isn't right and talked to my diabetic nurse who then said yes you will put weight on if you don't watch what you eat. Thanks could have told me that at the start!
So I started calorie counting (2500 cals per day) and excercising (I ride for 45 mins 11.5 miles) (2 great apps Nutracheck and Probike fit) 3 months later my HbA1c is 39 and my insulin is down to 28 units 14 in the morning and 14 in the evening. I've lost nearly a stone and a half and achieved my ideal BMI.
I didn't know if I could inject myself but once I tried it and had to look if the needle had actually gone in I found it a breeze.
I'm still on metformin twice a day but luckily I dont have any of the side effects that some do.
Would I recomend someone to go onto insulin a resounding YES.

Reactions: 8 people