Good News/Bad News.

Cranfield

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Early last Summer I was diagnosed with Diabetes 2 my HbA1c was 63 and I was prescribed Metformin 500g twice a day.
I decided to cut out sugars/sweets/cakes, etc., and try to go as low carb as possible, with no bread, pasta, rice, etc.
12 weeks later (August) I had lost one and a half stone and my HbA1c was down to 52.

In November I started to get burning pain on my right side below the rib and toward the back.
As I have a history of being a "stoner" I immediately thought it could be an active stone, but I also had a dull ache in my left kidney area, which I had never produced stones from.
I saw the Doctor and quickly got an ultrasound which showed a small stone (not unusual for me), but not enough to give me the symptoms I had.
I was then referred to a Urologist and I am awaiting an appointment.

The symptoms eased a bit, but still came and went.
At the end of December I decided to stop the Metformin, within a week my symptoms all but disappeared, just an occasional ache remained.I went back to the Doctor told him the story and asked for an alternative to the Metformin, he prescribed 30gm Ziclaseg once a day.
He also made me an appointment with the Diabetes Nurse and arranged a Blood Test.

I saw the Nurse today, the good news is that my HbA1c is now 42.
However, she said that if I wanted to continue with the Ziclaseg I would have to self test at least four times a week.
When I asked why, she said it was "the law" because of the type of drug it was, it could lower my sugar level such that I might not be safe to drive.
I said that if that was the case I didn't want to take it and at the moment the only choice I have is to go back on the Metformin and see if the symptoms return, or if any link to Metformin was just a coincidence.

I have little confidence in my Diabetes Nurse and this long story is just to ask if anyone had heard of this requirement for Ziclaseg and what alternatives to Metformin are there (if this trial doesn't work) that I can ask to try.
My view that as my HbA1c is so low (and my meds dose is so low) I don't need to be taking any "aggressive" drugs with potential side effects.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I stopped (with the approval of my DSN) the Metformin, but only after I had good control of my bs with the LCHF way of eating. I am in remission now so no need for meds. You must talk to your DBN about wanting to stop your meds, If your self testing and low carb this should be achievable

Energize

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Cranfield

Ziclaseg is a prolonged action Gliclazide, which is one of the sulphonamides, ie they increase the amount of insulin being produced by the pancreas. On this group of meds, it is highly likely that, unless very well controlled, you may experience hypo's and therefore does require testing before driving and approx 2-hourly while driving etc. It's a requirement of DVLA You must be '5' to drive etc.

There is a slow release Metformin which many find more tolerable than the 'plain' Metformin and may be worth you trying to see if you don't get the same side effects

Well done with getting your HbA1c down. If you can sustain this level, your nurse may be happier for you to reduce meds, of course.

Reactions: dbr10

Cranfield

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for the responses, as she was not over exaggerating the self testing requirement, if going back to Metformin brings back the discomfort, I will ask about the slow release version rather than take the Ziclaseg.
I have found that adapting my lifestyle (diet) to Diabetes 2 has been not horrendously difficult , but I do not want to do self testing if I can avoid it.

lowedb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes far from exagerating the self testing, she was underplaying it. Four times a week would be nowhere near enough. I was told I have to test every time before I drive, and again after two hours of driving. In a normal day for me thats minimum three times a DAY.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The only way you will get complete control of your blood sugars is by self testing .. then you will safely know whats spiking your sugars, once you have your safe foods the testing can be reduced. Why are you against self testing ?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, she was underestimating about testing. On that drug you have to test before you drive and regularly during long drives. Under 5 and you are breaking the law. If you have an accident, whether diabetes related or not, your insurance company would be attempting to wriggle out of paying up and wold want to see your meter to see what your levels were.. (You also should tell your insurers by the way as well as the DVLA)

I also agree that self testing is essential if you want complete control, especially if you go med-free.

Cranfield

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The only way you will get complete control of your blood sugars is by self testing .. then you will safely know whats spiking your sugars, once you have your safe foods the testing can be reduced. Why are you against self testing ?

Its hard to explain , but I don't feel ill and am treating my Diabetes as an inconvenience and don't want to be thinking about it all day, which testing before and after meals would make me do (2 hours after breakfast I will probably be in the middle of a field).
I take my morning and evening tablet , eat within the regime and forget about it the rest of the time.
A bit like my hair, I comb it in the morning and then forget about it until the next day.

If my numbers were high, then I would probably have to, but as my lifestyle change (and the tablets) have brought it down to 42, if "normal" is 36, thats not too bad.

Nidge247

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are on DVLA Aware medication, then you will have to self-test. It's the law if you want to keep driving.

What may seem a 'nuisance' to you, could ultimately determine the safety and survival not only of yourself but those around you.

Even though I'm not currently needing insulin, I'm still classed as an insulin-dependant diabetic in the eyes of the law. That means regular testing before driving and every 2 hours while driving. I also test first thing, before meals, and before bed. If doing strenuous exercise, I will also test before and after that.

I don't find it excessive or obstructive, and it's peace of mind that my BG's remain stable and I am safe to those around me. Any unusual readings are double-checked, then if true corrected as required. Because I've now been doing it over 2 years, it's 2nd nature and is done on 'autopilot' these days. I don't test 2 hours after meals, as my BG's are so stable on LCHF.

Cranfield

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If you are on DVLA Aware medication, then you will have to self-test. It's the law if you want to keep driving.

What may seem a 'nuisance' to you, could ultimately determine the safety and survival not only of yourself but those around you.

Even though I'm not currently needing insulin, I'm still classed as an insulin-dependant diabetic in the eyes of the law. That means regular testing before driving and every 2 hours while driving. I also test first thing, before meals, and before bed. If doing strenuous exercise, I will also test before and after that.

I don't find it excessive or obstructive, and it's peace of mind that my BG's remain stable and I am safe to those around me. Any unusual readings are double-checked, then if true corrected as required. Because I've now been doing it over 2 years, it's 2nd nature and is done on 'autopilot' these days. I don't test 2 hours after meals, as my BG's are so stable on LCHF.

If you read my posts carefully, I was not informed by the Doctor who changed my medication that there were any testing/driving "issues".
I was only informed by the Diabetes Nurse at an appointment 2 weeks later.
I immediately stopped taking Ziclaseg and reverted to Metformin.

I have no intention of risking the "safety and survival of those around me" and I have also never stated that I consider self testing a "nuisance".

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It's not DVLA aware medication , but you do need to self test with it.