Good news: T2D folks live longer

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yikes, scarey as I am a pretty underweight T2 diabetic; better update my will ASAP!!!!

Reactions: 2 people

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yikes, scarey as I am a pretty underweight T2 diabetic; better update my will ASAP!!!!
Hope my post is not too scary for underweight T2 folks - that was not my intention either. It is very usual to see health articles with contradicting research results, claims and recommendations and what not. I just wanted to share this with everyone on the forum to see their reactions. Not sure if this is real. After reading this article, what I thought:

after positive diagnosis, T2D folks usually take care (calorie restriction, exercise, medication and regular checkups etc) - as opposed to non-T2D guys who may not take enough care since there is no issue with health as such. This may put T2D guys in a better league.

But your post compels me to ask a few things: since you are T2D and underweight -
1. what are your bmi and body fat percentages?
2. How you manage your T2D? with diet? or exercise? or metformin? or pricking? [weight reduction is ruled out for you as you are already underweight?]

Thanks in advance for your response

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
It is very usual to see health articles with contradicting research results, claims and recommendations and what not.
I don't agree with that bit.

Reactions: 2 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There was a recent Zoe Harcombe post about a similar study about overweight being protective in regards to dementia:
http://www.zoeharcombe.com/2015/04/being-overweight-reduces-dementia-risk/

Maybe the proposed "plausible mechanism" Zoe talked about in that article might also extend to Type 2? Namely, "Obesity-resistant persons take more glycation damage hit as their adipocytes don’t protect them by sucking up all extra glucose.”

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hope my post is not too scary for underweight T2 folks - that was not my intention either. It is very usual to see health articles with contradicting research results, claims and recommendations and what not. I just wanted to share this with everyone on the forum to see their reactions. Not sure if this is real. After reading this article, what I thought:

after positive diagnosis, T2D folks usually take care (calorie restriction, exercise, medication and regular checkups etc) - as opposed to non-T2D guys who may not take enough care since there is no issue with health as such. This may put T2D guys in a better league.

But your post compels me to ask a few things: since you are T2D and underweight -
1. what are your bmi and body fat percentages?
2. How you manage your T2D? with diet? or exercise? or metformin? or pricking? [weight reduction is ruled for you as you are already underweight?]

Thanks in advance for your response

Before I was diagnosed I weighed about 8st 10lbs but once I cut the carbs my weight went down to around 7 stone taking my BMI from a healthy 21.6ish to around 17.7 which I know is low (I am a smidgeon under 5' 3"). I have never been overweight as an adult as I regulated my weight by refusing to buy a size larger jeans! I have no idea how to calculate my body fat percentage but I would think it is low. I had a liver and pancreas scan recently and there were no abnormalities and no obvious fat but I read that a normal ultrasound would not show up a small amount of fat (which could be over my personal fat threshold) which is why I think it is worth doing the ND; it may be that after a couple of weeks I will see no change or will be so thin that I don't feel it would be OK to continue.

I am om metformin (500mg twice a day) and a very low carb diet (although I do cheat and have fruit which I know isn't good).

My previous post was "tongue- in -cheek", I had already read that article so it wasn't news to me.

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just found the calculation for height to waist measurement and mine is 0.41 and is in the OK range.

stuffedolive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Daily Mail, you know the sort

er... this is a completely unreferenced report. It could be entirely fictitious. I certainly hope so, for my sake!

mekalu2k4

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Before I was diagnosed I weighed about 8st 10lbs but once I cut the carbs my weight went down to around 7 stone taking my BMI from a healthy 21.6ish to around 17.7 which I know is low (I am a smidgeon under 5' 3"). I have never been overweight as an adult as I regulated my weight by refusing to buy a size larger jeans! I have no idea how to calculate my body fat percentage but I would think it is low. I had a liver and pancreas scan recently and there were no abnormalities and no obvious fat but I read that a normal ultrasound would not show up a small amount of fat (which could be over my personal fat threshold) which is why I think it is worth doing the ND; it may be that after a couple of weeks I will see no change or will be so thin that I don't feel it would be OK to continue.

I am om metformin (500mg twice a day) and a very low carb diet (although I do cheat and have fruit which I know isn't good).

My previous post was "tongue- in -cheek", I had already read that article so it wasn't news to me.

Thanks for responding with details. Much appreciated. My BMI is now 23.5 and body fat is 18%, both are kind of constant. Trying very hard to shed few more pounds, but seems body has its own plans to keep the fat. Last 8 months my figure has not changed, despite heavy training routine. If I lose 3 pounds, they come back in few days of time. ND may be the solution for me to reach that target. Tried once, but is difficult to make it a routine. Feeling weak during the day.

While I am bit concerned about my body's reluctance to lose weight, am happy that I am sweating daily through rigorous exercise. Struggle continues....

I have no idea how to calculate my body fat percentage

For measuring body fat, just get this scale: http://www.amazon.com/GoWISE-USA-Digital-Bathroom-Scale/dp/B00CZPF5L2/ it is pretty accurate. Batteries stay for at least one year, even with daily usage.