Gout and type 2

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@forge . Ive looked up purines and mushrooms, caulflower and beef are high in purines. Ive been eating a lt of these. Thanks for your help. :)

C

catherinecherub

Hi MO,

This leaflet from the UK Gout Society may be of help.
http://www.ukgoutsociety.org/docs/goutsociety-allaboutgoutanddiet-0113.pdf

What is gout?

Gout is a type of arthritis. It is caused by having too much of the chemical, uric acid, in your bloodstream. Uric acid is the waste product created when the body breaks down purines (a type of protein found in many foods and all of your cells). Increased levels of uric acid in your blood may occur if, for example, your kidneys cannot efficiently remove it, you have a rare genetic abnormality, or because your diet and lifestyle increase the amount of uric acid that you produce. If levels of uric acid are high for prolonged periods, needle-like crystals can start to form in your tissues, resulting in swollen, painful joints.

Your diet plays an important role in both causing gout and reducing the likelihood of suffering further painful attacks of gout. If you already suffer from gout, eating a diet that is rich in purines can result in a five-fold increase in gout attacks.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Catherine. I dont tend to- eat the 'high in purines' foods and dont drink alcohol. I will need to be careful about the amount of meat I eat. I do like eating the cherries though. :)

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
An interesting article @phoenix and not a cherry in sight.

All the "remedies" are nonsense of course and a lot of punters think any acid is bad but it is all about purines.

The three things to remember is
A) Uric acid is necessary
B) Excess purines will in our system will cause gout
C) It is cumulative so too much purines over a few days can cause gout.

Last edited by a moderator:

Linda Barrans

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep, that's the standard. Diclofenic used to be prescribed in place of Ibuprofen and now that they have changed their minds about that, they prescribe naproxin. He should have told you to drink seven large glasses of water throughout the day. The tablets get the inflamation down, thee water washes those nastly needle like crystals away.

And reduce the protein intake.

But the photo shows clearly why it is so painful. They are very sharp.

Have a read of this NHS dietary management of Gout leaflet
Hi Yorksman I started with gout in my foot about 10yrs ago and was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about 2yrs ago I was taking the Naproxin tablets But I was taken in hospital before Christmas last year with severe pain in my side and told NOT to take them anymore as they can damage your liver??

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Yorksman I started with gout in my foot about 10yrs ago and was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes about 2yrs ago I was taking the Naproxin tablets But I was taken in hospital before Christmas last year with severe pain in my side and told NOT to take them anymore as they can damage your liver??

I don't know about the drugs. I just notice that people who were on ibuprofen were moved onto diclofinac and then onto Naproxin, including my wife who has some joint pains but not diabetes. I haven't heard about the liver thing but it may be a possible side effect for some patients. It's one of the reasons why we all seem to end up with so many blood tests - to make sure the medications we take are not hurting us more than the problem they are treating.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the information Linda. Yes Yorksman you are absolutely right. The medicines are causing new problems.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@forge. all the remedies may be nonsense but with pain like this I am happy to try eating cherries.:)

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
I have had severe gout attacks that have completely immobilized me but none in the last 20 years. I have not used anti-inflammatory meds. for 20 years but the one I did use was Indocid or something like that, and it made me feel quite ill

I keep off the offal, pork and limit shellfish to a few prawns occasionally. Sardines were never a fav. so I do not miss them. I was surprised to see chicken soup on the USA list but I don't eat that anyway. The trap was when I got away with a few prawns, or pork and then thought I was OK so have some more leftovers the next day and then I was goooooone

The other thing I found was initially I tried to soldier on, I was not going to let it beat me but eventually I woke up to the fact that walking on a joint with crystal in it was just doing more damage to have to recover from.

I have heard all the magic remedies and they all work if I eat Celery/Cherries/etc instead of offal, pork etc. I read somewhere that there is a link with alcohol and caffeine that does not cause gout but makes it worse. Seeing as alc and caf. are basic nasties it is probably worth flicking them when I am having a touch of gout.

So gout is not an issue for me anymore, And back on subject. I was getting gout many years before I was diagnosed T2 and attacks have not increased with the need for more T2 meds.

My only problem is my diet gets more restrictive, with no major purines as above, then I had a pacemaker and all the dietary warnings re build up of plaque in my arteries, and now on no major carbs diet.for T2. Eating at home is easy but eating out is more difficult.

I am always wary of eating too much of any one thing because I do not want another dietary issue to bob up, so I like to vary what I eat.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is interesting the triggers you mention, prawns and pork. I have lookedat the list of high and moderate purine foods and the only food I have eaten more of is beef. It is frustrating not beibg able to work out what triggered this attack. Thank you for all of tge information. :)

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
In my experience humble sausages can be culprits even if they are not pork they can contain offal.

That is the only "hidden" purine I know - but you can probably add all the smoked and processed meaty deli delicacies.

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I only eat a few slices of thinly cut and packaged ham a couple of days per week (with salads). I would be reluctant to eat much more.

I reckon the purines are cumulative up to a week and have I often thought it is "the last straw the breaks the camels back" so if you have pushed your limit all week then it does not take much to cause an "attack".

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I hadnt thought of them as being accumulative but I suppose that is logical. You really are being very helpful with this problem. Thank you

....I was diagnosed with gout 2 years ago...didn't want to take the tablets offered on prescription have / have been taking the cherry capsules and celery seed capsules since and have only had a couple of minor flareups ! Diagnosed with T2 in April this year and had my gallbladder out in July...this has been a real "journey" .....At any rate , I would not be without the cherry and celery seed capsules...all natural and none of the poss side effects from Dr prescribed medications . My name is Emily and I would love to hear from others with this issue .

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Emily. The cherry and delery seed capsues are new to me. Where do you buy them? :)

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
This link http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=george&dbid=51 provided by @phoenix above tells it better than I can.

I have no need for cherries or celery I am good if I watch my diet (10 years without a serious attack. There is a lot of support for cherries and celery but I find it is easy enough cutting back on offal, pork and prawns.

When I read the link above (from the USA) it does not seem to me that cherries and celery would make a difference, but other swear celery and cherries are good.

The anti inflam was (when I last went to the Doc with it) only used when I had an attack, Others I have known, take daily tabs and I always thought they were on anti inflam too but I do not know the latest and greatest gout control. Preventing attacks by a not high purine diet is probably the first thing to try.

My Doc used to ask how my gout was going then he used to say don't answer that, gout is better if you don't talk about it.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello. Tomorrow I have the blood test to confirm this is gout but the Doctor said she wanted the attack to be over and it woukd be then. I just hope it has gone sufficiently to show up .