GP telling me nothing is wrong, leading to bad infection

SandyT

Hi all, just an open question really. I want to know how many of you (suffering from any type) have had really bad problems due to care and treatment etc as a result from your Diabetes?

For example I have been to my GP many times over the last summer stating that I was really stressed and my health was not brilliant, following on from this I kept having problems with going to the toilet and felt I may have a water infection. They advised several times that I just needed to watch my blood sugars and to drink water but that nothing was really wrong. Come the end of summer I was in complete agony and went to the GP again with pains in my side, he rushed me straight to hospital. Whilst in hospital I had a scan and had a severely bad water infection that had spread to my kidneys and had to go on IV antibiotics, was been given Oramorph and Tramadol for the pain and stayed in there several days as apparently it was really dangerous. It really annoyed me as I had been saying for weeks that something didn't feel right.

Has anyone else had complications like this? :)

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, SandyT

This does not sound good. I have never experienced bad service like this.

You have probably gone through complaint procedures.

As you are aware all these issues are different which makes it difficult to know exactly who or what should take the blame for delay in your water infection.

Not sure what gain can be made if someone had a similar experience, unless with the same GP.

Roy.

Superchip

Dislikes
GP's, Diabetes Nurses.Crazy NHS guidelines on diet for Diabetics, they are seeing off millions.
Cheap Whisky !
Sorry to hear of your problems SandyT....

I'm afraid that in my experience gp's can spot a broken leg from a mile away but anything up close seems to elude them. My own gp ignored my complaints of chest pains and numbness in arms etc for 2 years just saying ' lose weight, stop smoking,stop drinking,exercise more and you will be fine ' All these things were done and it just got worse. 5 heart attacks,5 bypasses and a total heart transplant later ( 1994 ) things improved. Personally I wouldn't trust my gp with a box of plasters. I have been ignoring his advice and prescriptions ever since and now, apart from the diabetes ( brought on by statin medication, in my view ) I feel great. I drink like a fish, VLCHF diet and virtually no exercise, I've told him that I will be at his funeral.

Good luck SandyT, listen to your own body, it will tell you far more than any quack can.

Superchip