GPs asked to mass-screen all patients aged 40 years or older

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
GPs have been urged to screen all patients aged over 40 years and offer annual checks to those at high risk of diabetes in a major drive to reduce the numbers of patients developing the disease.

Practices will be expected to go through their lists and carry out a risk assessment in everyone aged 40 years or over without diabetes, and anyone 25 years or older in a high-risk group, under the NICE guidelines.

NICE recommends anyone identified as high risk should have a blood test, and those with HbA1c levels that put them at high risk of developing diabetes should be offered an ‘intensive lifestyle change programme' and annual checks from practices.

In those whose blood glucose levels continue to rise, putting them at risk of diabetes, the guidelines also recommend GPs consider prescribing metformin off-label for the first time to ‘support lifestyle change'.

Professor Kamlesh Khunti, professor of primary care diabetes at the University of Leicester and chair of the programme development group at NICE, said: ‘Evidence has showed that an intensive lifestyle programme, where patients make simple changes, like changing their diet, can help prevent the onset of diabetes. This is really welcome guidance.'

Although GP leaders said it would have huge financial implications for all GP practices and they would need additional investment to implement it.

http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/main-conten ... r-diabetes

To compliment this initiative Diabetes UK have today launched an on line diabetes risk assessment test. You can try it here http://www.diabetes.org.uk/Riskscore/

Perhaps advise friends and relatives to try it as well :thumbup:

Personally I think its good news that NICE are trying to do something about the rising amount of diabetes cases and I hope that GP's are able to implement this. What do you think?

iggy-lil

Dislikes
rude people
Re: GPs asked to mass-screen all patients aged 40 years or o

As someone who is 42 this year and have not long been diagnosed wished this had been offered to me, it would have been picked up much earlier. So hope that all GP's do follow these guidelines :D

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Given that my experience of the Health Advice and Dietary Advice given by my surgery has not helped my blood glucose levels, and would, in fact, have pushed them higher, I do not see the benefit of this.

Just knowing x amount of people are Diabetic or pre-diabetic, without effective ways to treat it, is not going to help with the problem, in my view :(

sterling

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I wish that I had been tested previously.

The problem here is that only people at risk will be tested.

I went to Lloyds Pharmacy for a test. I completed a form. Against their assessment criteria I was not at risk and could not be tested.

So for me,

Is the patient very fat? NO
Does the patient does sufficient exercise? YES
Does the patient smoke? NO
Does the patient have a family history of diabetes? NO
Is the patient healthy? YES

It seems that the testing will only apply to stereotypical diabetes patients.

sterling

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I have got to write an Open University assignment for my diabetes course in this subject area based upon a paper prepared by the health service in Finland. I will be interested in following this thread.

Scardoc

sterling said:
The problem here is that only people at risk will be tested.
IIt seems that the testing will only apply to stereotypical diabetes patients.

The testing will apply to those in a "high risk" group. Where else would you start? It's a positive move which will hopefully prove a success and get rolled out furtherin the future.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

It can only be seen as a step in the right direction :thumbup:

sterling

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Could it be that a GP will test people who are visibly obese but not otherwise?

iHs

I too agree with everything that Sid has posted in his link. It should have been put into place a few years ago........... However, Lucylocket has got a point too in that the dietary guidance for dealing with weight gain needs to change. Eat less fat and do more exercise is not going to make people lose weight... exercise speeds up metabalism but it's eating less food containing carbohydrate that will enable the weight loss. At least the prescribing of Metformin for those thought to be at risk, will enable people to lose weight as it puts people off of eating so much.

As a slight chuckle ....... a lot of GPs, hospital Dr's and nurses could be equally at risk as some of them are above their ideal weight...... It will be a case of 'do as I say and not do as I do' :roll: :lol:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

those are the US risk factors.

the NHS has slightly different views on it: http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Diabetes/Pages/Avoiddiabetes.aspx

with obesity as a primary cause, and a lots of the emphasis is on reducing weight and maintaining healthy weight.

I agree that the emphasis is skewed to obese people, but that seems to be the main thrust of their diagnostic criteria at the moment.

C

catherinecherub

I think another risk factor should be added.
People on long term medications that are known to raise blood sugars. Examples, antidepressants, steroids, statins, diuretics to name a few.