Grapefruit

e.mcgovern1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have recently been advised not to eat or drink grapefruit/juice. Nobody has been able to explain why and I can't find anything relating diabetes to grapefruit. Can anyone please enlighten me?
Mike.

Grazer

Yes, robert72 has it. Grapefruit is fine with diabetes (unless someone says different) but you can't eat it if you're on statins, it stops the statins from working. Grapefruit is low in carbs and low GI, so quite good in that respect. Not grapefruit JUICE though; all the juices have quite a lot of sugars

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
All fruit juices are just a big carton of sugar. I don't think that they are healthy for anyone, especially diabetics.

I used to drink loads, but I don't think I could stomach a glass of orange or grapefruit juice anymore. Certainly I don't find the idea appealing.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Grapefruit contains a substance that interacts with enzymes in the body that would normally metabolise one of the active ingredients of some statins. This results in too much of the active ingredient, which increases the risk of toxicity and side effects.

It isn't a problem with all statins, (see link) but there are other drugs that have the same interaction.
Here are is a list of drugs affected
http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/2474.aspx?C ... goryID=103
( It may not be an exhaustive list so as always it's best to check the leaflet of any medicines you take)

e.mcgovern1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
phoenix said:
Grapefruit contains a substance that interacts with enzymes in the body that would normally metabolise one of the active ingredients of some statins. This results in too much of the active ingredient, which increases the risk of toxicity and side effects.

It isn't a problem with all statins, (see link) but there are other drugs that have the same interaction.
Here are is a list of drugs affected
http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/2474.aspx?CategoryID=73&SubCategoryID=103
( It may not be an exhaustive list so as always it's best to check the leaflet of any medicines you take)

Thanks phoenix. I've read the link you have attached. It's very informative.
Thanks everybody for the posts. All has been taken onboard.

Mike