1. Find out how you can help us spread the word about the Diabetes Forum. Click HERE
  2. Hi there, Guest. Welcome to the forum!
    Need some guidance? Check out our Forum Video Guides

Grapefruit

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by e.mcgovern1, May 18, 2012.

1. e.mcgovern1

e.mcgovern1 Member

I have recently been advised not to eat or drink grapefruit/juice. Nobody has been able to explain why and I can't find anything relating diabetes to grapefruit. Can anyone please enlighten me?
    Mike.
  2. robert72

robert72 Well-Known Member

Are you taking a statin?
  3. Grazer

Grazer Well-Known Member

Yes, robert72 has it. Grapefruit is fine with diabetes (unless someone says different) but you can't eat it if you're on statins, it stops the statins from working. Grapefruit is low in carbs and low GI, so quite good in that respect. Not grapefruit JUICE though; all the juices have quite a lot of sugars
  4. borofergie

borofergie Well-Known Member

All fruit juices are just a big carton of sugar. I don't think that they are healthy for anyone, especially diabetics.

I used to drink loads, but I don't think I could stomach a glass of orange or grapefruit juice anymore. Certainly I don't find the idea appealing.
  5. phoenix

phoenix Well-Known Member

Grapefruit contains a substance that interacts with enzymes in the body that would normally metabolise one of the active ingredients of some statins. This results in too much of the active ingredient, which increases the risk of toxicity and side effects.

It isn't a problem with all statins, (see link) but there are other drugs that have the same interaction.
    Here are is a list of drugs affected
    http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/2474.aspx?C ... goryID=103
    ( It may not be an exhaustive list so as always it's best to check the leaflet of any medicines you take)
  6. e.mcgovern1

e.mcgovern1 Member

Thanks Robert. I'm taking atorvastatin.

Mike
  7. e.mcgovern1

e.mcgovern1 Member

Thanks phoenix. I've read the link you have attached. It's very informative.
    Thanks everybody for the posts. All has been taken onboard.

Mike