Type 2 Grazed & cut lower leg

lotuslight

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello this morning I fell down steps and grazed my lower leg.
I rinsed it with water and sterile water.
Then out a gauze on it.
After advice on how best to deal with this please?
Obviously aware of risks

• Hug
Reactions: jjraak

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If your BGs are in a good range then you should heal as well as anyone else, high sugars can cause slow healing and infection. Keep it clean and dry, not medical advice but me personally I wouldn’t cover it unless your clothes are on it or you have a chance of getting dirt in it. Gauze on a wound that is just staring to heal over can stick to the wound and cause more problems

Keep an eye on it and if you are at all worried maybe get advice from your local pharmacist (I find them very knowledgeable and much quicker than trying to get to see a doctor or nurse)

Reactions: jjraak

lotuslight

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Loving Life Thank you so much that’s what I am doing , I’m even nervous to cover when clothes are on it.

My cat sleeps in my bed so I’m fretting about that and it causing infection & wondering if to use antiseptic cream on it.

Blummin diabetes ‍♀️

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If your BGs are in a good range then you should heal as well as anyone else, high sugars can cause slow healing and infection. Keep it clean and dry, not medical advice but me personally I wouldn’t cover it unless your clothes are on it or you have a chance of getting dirt in it. Gauze on a wound that is just staring to heal over can stick to the wound and cause more problems

Keep an eye on it and if you are at all worried maybe get advice from your local pharmacist (I find them very knowledgeable and much quicker than trying to get to see a doctor or nurse)
In my nursing studies (2011/2) I was told that this “dry” advice has been superseded by keeping wounds moist (not wet) as this speeds healing and improves scarring. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3842869/. Obviously freshly dressed daily. More recently is this https://www.nursinginpractice.com/clinical/mythbuster-i-need-to-let-the-air-get-to-this-wound/

Last edited: