groundhog day

captainlynne

A few years ago I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. My weight loss was ascribed to the diabetes, not all my hard work with Weight Watchers. I tested my BS regularly, and everyone was surprised at how good all my test results were. The day of my annual review, I was told that I was possibly not, in fact, diabetic - the GTT had been performed incorrectly. So they repeated the GTT which showed I was not diabetic. To say I was angry is an understatement!

I have now moved to a different area and the blood tests for the new patient routine show that I now DO have Type 2! Two fasting blood test have shown 7.7 and 7.1. Because they are aware of the orevious situation, they have handled it really well.

But, I've been told I don't need to do any testing myself. This confuses me, as I did have to self-test last time. When I queried this, I was told there was little point at this stage - they only recommend self-testing "in later stages". Is this something you think I should push, or do I just accept what they say?

mullaneder

Dislikes
bullies, bad drivers ,recession,
hi captainlynne and welcome to the forum. i would push it.testing is the best way to see what way certain foods affect you.best of luck

dermot

wallycorker

Hi captainlynne,

No - without any doubt - certainly do not simply accept what they tell you!

Read my story posted recently, you will find it on this forum via this link:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=10512

You appear to be at the same stage that I was at nearly nine years ago with a fasting blood glucose level just over 7. You will be able to read what following the "do not test" and "eat plenty of starchy carbohydrate" advice did to me for eight years - and then what I achieved have achieved over the last twelve months since I decided to discard that advice and control my situation through self-management.

In my opinion, if you follow the sensible advice that is generally available on this site then your Type 2 situation will have no need to progress towards the quite horrible complications that can come a diabetic's way.

If you have any questions then just ask.

Good luck and best wishes - John