GTT after after HbA1c Test

Liverbird1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Supermarkets, Vanity.
Hi all I am new to the forum. Although I have not yet been diagnosed with Diabetes, My HbA1c test results were 48mml, which the doctor told me was showing the signs of diabetes so he sent me for a Glucose tolerence this morning so really I am waiting on this test to get my diagnoses. I have been experiencing symtoms such as Shaking, heart racing for the past few years and this always happens to me if I go for long periods without food. My hair has also gone brittle and fine and I have been diagonosed with Polycystic ovaries too. My bp is also up at around 140/90. I am overweight by around 2 stone and I am a 33 year old woman. It is a very scary time for me, I am quite worried. I know I have to be diagnosed with Diabetes but I just needed to type something out to help ease my mind somewhat or hear of others out there with similar to me now of the unknown. Thanks all X

Kris :)

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Kris and welcome to the forum

@daisy1 will be along soon with the usual information given out to the newly diagnosed that find there way to this site.

Even if you turn out not to be diabetic ( 48mmol is the lowest hba1c score in the diabetic range) this is all information that should be useful to you. Study it well snd ask any questions you need to about anything you are not clear about.

Try to stay calm as even if your are diagnosed, this is not the end of the world. This is a condition that can be managed and we are here to help you to do so.

All the best

Pavlos

Reactions: 2 people

bluejeans98

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all I am new to the forum. Although I have not yet been diagnosed with Diabetes, My HbA1c test results were 48mml, which the doctor told me was showing the signs of diabetes so he sent me for a Glucose tolerence this morning so really I am waiting on this test to get my diagnoses. I have been experiencing symtoms such as Shaking, heart racing for the past few years and this always happens to me if I go for long periods without food. My hair has also gone brittle and fine and I have been diagonosed with Polycystic ovaries too. My bp is also up at around 140/90. I am overweight by around 2 stone and I am a 33 year old woman. It is a very scary time for me, I am quite worried. I know I have to be diagnosed with Diabetes but I just needed to type something out to help ease my mind somewhat or hear of others out there with similar to me now of the unknown. Thanks all X

Kris :)
Hi Kris,
welcome to the forum. The people here will help with advice and personal stories. I suffer from high blood pressure and am a type 2 diabetic, Diagnosed almost 12 weeks ago. Since then I have turned my life around. I follow the LCHF diet. Ive lost 24 lbs in weight. My BG has dropped from 80 to 50. And my BP has dropped to the lowest it has been since I was diagnosed some 16 years ago. Your lower BP reading is high, Have the doctors prescribed anything for it. It takes time to get things back on track but you will do it.

Reactions: 4 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
were you told you need to eat at least 150g of carb a day for a few days before the test? ask your Dr to confirm about the 5 hr test instead of the 2 or 3 hr ..because he would know it could sound like you may go higher and drop low with the dizzy when you're hungry stuff and the low comes at the end

and it's not your fault,..these are symptoms, luckily you got it early and isn't that severe, which means you have a good chance to get back to normal and be well.
insulin resistance, gained weight, fatty liver and belly fat, higher blood sugars cholesterol and lipids with higher BP, POCS and heart disease are all common to the metabolic syndrome.

...after a while, going low carb higher fat LCHF and cutting out a lot of carbs from your diet and replacing the lost energy with healthy fats is maybe going to make sense.

Last edited by a moderator:

Liverbird1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Supermarkets, Vanity.
Hi all, Sorry for my late reply, my internet has been down. Thank you for your replies and welcomes! My doctor has confirmed me to be type 2, after my glucose tolerance test I shown to have a score of 15.5% and as I have PCOS and a family history of heart disease and concerning my age of 33 and also showing symptoms such as excess urination, hot flushes of a night, hair loss, High BP and slightly high cholesterol they have decided to put me on Meds and a low carb diet. I am not entirely shocked if I am honest as its sunk in now and I know its not the end of the world and If I am honest with myself I think I actually needed this boot up my **** to put things into perspective for me and to finally realise what is the most important and what's not. So for me this is really positive THOUGH I could of done without this news now as its so close to christmas...:arghh::(. Hi Jack, I had to drink a high carb/high glucose drink and then waited for 2 hours and then they checked my blood and it shown the 15.5% I think thats 140mol? Not sure as I am still very confused with the numbers but I see my diabetic team tomorrow so I will have everything explained then I guess, I also have a blood glucose monitor ordered with strips which i pick up tmorrow also... quite overwhelming to say the least :nailbiting:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome.

Blimey, your doctor gave you a low carb diet? That's a first. Maybe the tide is really turning at last. Stick with him.

Don't panic. There is an excellent thread here http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/a-new-low-carb-guide-for-beginners.68695/ that will tell you most of what you need to know to get you started. Your HbA1c is a good one as far as diabetes is concerned - it is the lowest one, and with a bit of effort on your part by the time of your next test you will have got it down, along with your BP and cholesterol.

Good luck, and ask any questions you like.

Adelle0607

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Liverbird1 and welcome!

This forum is filled with great people who can give you advise and support in managing diabetes. I can understand how you are feeling. If it helps--- I too had pcos, fatty liver and was diagnosed with t2 at the age of 30 this year. But I did reverse liver disease and blood sugar reduced and PCOS symptoms under control with the low carb diet. I don't want to overwhelm you with a lot of details as everything is still new to you, but feel free to ask any questions, hope you get the support you need here in this forum :) good luck!

Liverbird1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Supermarkets, Vanity.
Up until now I have been a serial carb muncher.. Just carb carb carbs, and my plate would be piled.. Yes I am bloody struggling with the lack of potatoes and bread and I look at my plate and see how small it is compared to my usual - I just want to cry BUT I know 2015 will be the year that I can finally say I am healthy and fit - Ive never been able to say that! But with this health scare I am deadly serious and will take the bull by its horns, This site is so very helpful and comforting! I am struggling alot with sleep at the moment, my mind just wont stop ticking, but with the help from this site, my family and friends and ofc helping myself, I wont let diabetes control me :) x x Thank you so muchh xx and thank you very much for the links I am hopping over to them now and do some research. :angelic:

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hello @Liverbird1 and welcome to the forum :)

I see you are getting some good help from some members. Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you need to and someone will be able to reply.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 130,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

bookmite

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Seasonal Greetings and a very warm welcome from me.

All I will add to what has been already stated, is learn to eat to your meter. It's a pain for the first few weeks until you discover what spikes you. Once you have learned what you can eat and what you can eat in moderation, against what you should avoid at all costs . The condition can become very manageable. Like everyone we have good days and bad, but one thing you will learn is that we are a community, and a mine of really useful information and advice.

Feel free to ask anything

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Up until now I have been a serial carb muncher.. Just carb carb carbs, and my plate would be piled.. Yes I am bloody struggling with the lack of potatoes and bread and I look at my plate and see how small it is compared to my usual - I just want to cry BUT I know 2015 will be the year that I can finally say I am healthy and fit - Ive never been able to say that! But with this health scare I am deadly serious and will take the bull by its horns, This site is so very helpful and comforting! I am struggling alot with sleep at the moment, my mind just wont stop ticking, but with the help from this site, my family and friends and ofc helping myself, I wont let diabetes control me :) x x Thank you so muchh xx and thank you very much for the links I am hopping over to them now and do some research. :angelic:

Have you got a blood glucose meter? If not, my strong advise is to get one quickly. Have a look here http://www.homehealth-uk.com/medical/blood_glucose_monitor_testing.htm

We all have different tolerances to carbs, and to different sorts of carbs. To say "no more potatoes" for example may not be right for you. You may be able to manage a couple of new or roast. You can only find this out by self testing. Testing before you eat and 2 hours after your first bite will give you a spike. If that spike is less than about 2mmol/l that meal is probably OK for you. If it is more than that, your carb portion sizes need reducing until you can keep those spikes down.(under 1.5mmol/l is ideal) It is all trial and error, but we are here to help you. Potatoes are just an example, and you may find you can't manage any at all. Personally I can manage 2 small new spuds, 2 pieces of roasted ones, or 6 chips, but no more than that. Same with bread. There are some low carbs breads in the supermarkets. Swap to a low carb wholemeal heavily seeded sort, then test. Maybe you can still cope with half a slice, or even a full slice eaten with a meal. Who knows, but all is not lost ..... but you will need a meter to help you with this.

Liverbird1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Supermarkets, Vanity.
Yes funny enough I ordered the Codefree tester with the lancets and strips from Amazon the other day, as I read that type 2's can struggle and fight with the doc in getting it on prescription, so I pre-ordered it in just incase, I goto see my doc this morning to get everything into motion. Ive started self - help at home straight away as I got my diagnoses. I havent felt this positive in a long long time. I just need to understand numbers, I am struggling somewhat on meal ideas without the carbs, Id love to be able to have a small jacket potatoe or some boiled spuds from time to time, I will miss these the most :( Hopefully I will tolerate a small amount *fingers crossed*. again thank you all , I cant thank you and this site enough, its really helped this newbie out a great deal! x x x :joyful:

Liverbird1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Supermarkets, Vanity.
One thing I am abit miffed over if I am honest is how the docs make me feel, all I hear off them is "Oh dear you are quite young to be getting all this* what with my high bp, diverticular disease, pcos, etc etc .. I know I am somewhat young, but ive eaten what I want, drank what I want, done what I want since I was in my late teens and given my families history I am surprised its taken this long to get the kick up my **** I so desperately needed. I really dont want to be hearing this off them, as it allows me to think negative "if I am like this now... what about in 10 years!" and I so dont want to go down that road with myself. So the next time a nurse or doc says "Oh dear love you are young to be getting all this" I think I might poke them in the eyes. :facepalm:

Reactions: 8 people

bluejeans98

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes funny enough I ordered the Codefree tester with the lancets and strips from Amazon the other day, as I read that type 2's can struggle and fight with the doc in getting it on prescription, so I pre-ordered it in just incase, I goto see my doc this morning to get everything into motion. Ive started self - help at home straight away as I got my diagnoses. I havent felt this positive in a long long time. I just need to understand numbers, I am struggling somewhat on meal ideas without the carbs, Id love to be able to have a small jacket potatoe or some boiled spuds from time to time, I will miss these the most :( Hopefully I will tolerate a small amount *fingers crossed*. again thank you all , I cant thank you and this site enough, its really helped this newbie out a great deal! x x x :joyful:
You don't have to give up potatoes entirely. I'm Irish so take away my potatoes at your own risk. Look at the Idaho diabetic plate diet website. This will show you how to use portion control and show you what God and bad carbs are. Carb to your Meter for the first month. Take a BG reading before you eat. Then again two hours after you eat. If you get a difference of more than 2 then reduce the carbs you had next time you have that meal. See what difference it makes. I use my fitness pal to track my meals and carbs. Use glucose buddy to track your BG readings. Between the two you will soon be able to know what you can eat without spiking. Plenty of lchf recipes on here and YouTube paleo meals. Help is only a click away on here.

Liverbird1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Supermarkets, Vanity.
You don't have to give up potatoes entirely. I'm Irish so take away my potatoes at your own risk. Look at the Idaho diabetic plate diet website. This will show you how to use portion control and show you what God and bad carbs are. Carb to your Meter for the first month. Take a BG reading before you eat. Then again two hours after you eat. If you get a difference of more than 2 then reduce the carbs you had next time you have that meal. See what difference it makes. I use my fitness pal to track my meals and carbs. Use glucose buddy to track your BG readings. Between the two you will soon be able to know what you can eat without spiking. Plenty of lchf recipes on here and YouTube paleo meals. Help is only a click away on here.

Thank you Blue, Appreciated, Ha indeed my dad is Irish and so is the rest of his family, we are all tater addicts in this family being a Lynch! I will follow your advice and keep testing till I find the right amount, I just read that some people just cant tolerate taters at all .. fingers crossed I am not one of them and I can have some starch at meal times as I feel my plate is defo missing it. I have discovered Quinoa and I find its a great subsistute for rice. Though it is a grain and I do hear that the paleo diet says no to grains and legumes. Mr brother follows Paleo diet religiously so he was very quick in advising me on the diet! But it is scary lol especailly as I am a notorious starch devourer :p xxx I will be sure to check out Idaho plate and I do have my fitness pal also, I have yet to recieve my glucose monitor (bloody amazon having delivery issues) but as soon as I get to grips with it I will also check out the glucose buddy :bookworm:

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Watch out or we'll have a "Lynch Mob" after us:woot: (Bet you never heard that one before) <SORRY>
Welcome, apart from a few bad puns, we are a helpful bunch:)

bluejeans98

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Brunneria is the best person to chat to about LCHF food and carbing to your meter.

Liverbird1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Supermarkets, Vanity.
Hey all! Aha Fergus, I can't say Ive heard that one no! :D I am quite the guilty party when it comes to "bad puns" I used "Bleeding" alot with my doc when saying I really couldnt be doing with the bleeding news that I have to start bleeding using lancets to take blood! He found it amusing anywhoo lol. Anyway upshot is (Just got back from the quacks) I have to take 500mg of Metformin once in morn and then again at night plus Simvastatin 40mg at night to control Cholesterol and I am also on Amlodipine 5mg which I have been taking for about a year. My BP is now at a more normal 120/80. He has directed me to the Paleo diet approach but he has told me that I dont need to do this diet "to the book" but to take important key elements from it. he is a firm believer in the low carb aproach but he appreciates that most "older" doctors still follow the carb route with diabetes. (young hip doctors ftw?) :wideyed:. He has told me that for the first few months I should test my glucose regulary each day especially when trying taters, brown rice, wholeweat bread etc. I am diabetic but I am at the lower spectrum so it was caught early. Overall I am a very happy bunny right now! :happy:

Liverbird1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Supermarkets, Vanity.
And thank you Blue I'll keep a lookout for Brunneria x