Guilty for being ill...

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Anyone ever get this? I have had an ongoing kidney infection now for over a month that keeps coming back. I feel so drained, sick, achey. I work from home (painting) and haven't been able to really find the motivation to do so. I can't help but feel guilty for not helping my bf out more around the house. Anyone else ever feel the same?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Ah @Chloesnavy Hey don't give yourself such a hard time - be ill and accept being ill, getting yourself fit again without falling ill again is your goal, so accept that you need time out and take it easy hun :)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have at times been made to feel guilty about being ill (and have recently been called a lazy liar by my husband) but I've never ever felt that being ill was my own fault, because it wasn't and isn't. It not something you'd actually choose to be - is it??

Nothing dreadful will happen if the house gets a bit neglected and dusty occasionally, but if you ever neglect your health in favour of the house, then the consequences could be far worse, so just take care, stop worrying, and get yourself well again.

Robbity

Reactions: Chloesnavy
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I know I would feel exactly the same, I am not the best of patients. Unfortunately the infection you have is lingering, but hopefully you will fget better and feel much better very soon, take care x

endocrinegremlin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People telling me how to control my diabetes. My health. Isms. People walking their dogs off leads in illegal areas. Meat that bleeds. Late buses.
Focus on being better. You can kick ass later. <3 It is hard to tell yourself that but I promise rest helps you more in the long run.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Echo what's been said already @Chloesnavy , concentrate on getting better and don't for one minute feel guilty about taking a backseat on the housework.

hollyslot

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone ever get this? I have had an ongoing kidney infection now for over a month that keeps coming back. I feel so drained, sick, achey. I work from home (painting) and haven't been able to really find the motivation to do so. I can't help but feel guilty for not helping my bf out more around the house. Anyone else ever feel the same?
it isn't your fault and you shouldn't feel guilty but i can empathise xx

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Chloesnavy Anyone ever get this? YES. It was utterly horrible. I was totally out of action from the beginning of August until the end of October last year, with a raging and recurrent kidney infection.

By September I was dragging myself to the doctor pretty much every week to ask why I wasn't getting better, why I couldn't eat, why I couldn't think, why I couldn't do anything other than sleep and be in pain.

Eventually I saw a doctor I hadn't seen for a while - the one at our surgery who is known for straight talking and for her unwillingness to prescribe anything for anything unless you're at death's door. So when she said 'I would say that recovering from an infection as serious as you've had is akin to recovering from pneumonia', followed by 'you have been very, very ill - it's going to take some time, and you need to be more reasonable with your expectations' I seriously sat up and took notice.

Went home and granted myself permission to not be doing any of the things I wanted and needed to be doing. I wasn't able to be doing anything, and like you I found this very frustrating (once I felt well enough to even care). And this 'permission' did huge things for my self-esteem, and took the pressure off me. Which in turn helped me to get better.

I had not taken on board how ill I actually was. So please, Chloe, don't be so hard on yourself. You are poorly, and it is going to take some time.

Hugs.

Love Snapsy
:)

cool_blonde212003

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I totally understand what you are saying.

I am T1 and have been since childhood. I work full time and am doing a masters degree distance learning in my free time.

I had a virus in February and had to take time off work, I went back to work and got another virus and then following that it progressed into a bacterial sinus infection and conjunctivitis. I was beating myself up for being pathetic and not being able to get on with my university work, I was dragging myself into work and just about coping but felt totally washed out.

Today I spoke to my tutor and she has been really supportive and it looks like I will get an extension for my latest assignment. I feel so much more positive having told the truth about how I've been struggling and losing focus because I felt drained of energy. I don't like my diabetes being a reason that stops me doing things and I try to carry on, sometimes to my own detriment.

I had started to feel better after completing the antibiotics and I hope you feel better soon too.

Reactions: Dodo

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
I feel for you - I've been off work since September needing an op which was then cancelled after my diagnosis of T2 after an awful water infection- the company I work for have been reasonably understanding but my line manager acts as if I no longer exist- people can be very ignorant

slikwipman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Intolerance
Yes, for some reason i have felt the same, just have to remember to never apologise for being ill

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ah @Chloesnavy Hey don't give yourself such a hard time - be ill and accept being ill, getting yourself fit again without falling ill again is your goal, so accept that you need time out and take it easy hun :)

Thank you. I can slowly feel myself getting better, I just feel bad for my bf haha

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have at times been made to feel guilty about being ill (and have recently been called a lazy liar by my husband) but I've never ever felt that being ill was my own fault, because it wasn't and isn't. It not something you'd actually choose to be - is it??

Nothing dreadful will happen if the house gets a bit neglected and dusty occasionally, but if you ever neglect your health in favour of the house, then the consequences could be far worse, so just take care, stop worrying, and get yourself well again.

Robbity

See I feel this way too. I think it's my bf who kinda makes me feel guilty, even though he doesn't exactly say anything haha. He works split shifts and comes home and has to tidy and cook... I just feel so badddddd