Gutted :(

Tanny35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

Can anyone advise on the following please.
I had bleeding in my eyes, and have had two lots of laser in each eye.
My last laser session was on the 13th may just over a week ago.
Since the first bleed my vision had improved a lot and the red hue I could see had almost gone and I just had a small section of blurryness in both eyes.

I've woken up this morning, the red hue is back in one eye (the one u had lasered just over a week ago) and my vision has gone very blurry again.

Is it normal to have bleeds after laser? They told me that I wouldn't need any more laser (so I assumed the taps were sealed) does this mean the laser hasn't worked?
I was only telling people yesterday how much my vision had improved, now I feel like I'm back to square one :(
Any advice would be great

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone,

Can anyone advise on the following please.
I had bleeding in my eyes, and have had two lots of laser in each eye.
My last laser session was on the 13th may just over a week ago.
Since the first bleed my vision had improved a lot and the red hue I could see had almost gone and I just had a small section of blurryness in both eyes.

I've woken up this morning, the red hue is back in one eye (the one u had lasered just over a week ago) and my vision has gone very blurry again.

Is it normal to have bleeds after laser? They told me that I wouldn't need any more laser (so I assumed the taps were sealed) does this mean the laser hasn't worked?
I was only telling people yesterday how much my vision had improved, now I feel like I'm back to square one :(
Any advice would be great

Thanks

I'm sorry to hear your news. It must be rather frightening.

Thankfully, thus far, I have avoided complications, so can't offer any wisdom of experience. I would think it sensible to give your eye folks a call this morning to let them know of this development, to ensure you can either be reassured by the experts or you are back on their radar for any further interventions you may need.

Fingers crossed, and let us know how you get on please.

Tanny35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think the panic may be over!
When I first woke up the red hue was all the way across my eye. And I could barely see out of it.
Now I've been up a while it's gone back to a tiny corner in my eye (where it's been all along) and my vision is restored to how it was yesterday.
I know when I first had the bleed in the mornings my vision was really bad, and I was told it was the way the blood sits in the eye when ur lying down. But I've not had that for well over a couple of weeks. So I'm guessing it was the blood had dispersed a bit and moved around in my eye.

There is deffo no more blood in the now than before, but will ring them just to be on the safe side

Reactions: 6 people

Dark Horse

In proliferative diabetic retinopathy, new vessels grow which are fragile and bleed easily. Laser treatment destroys parts of the retina which have been sending out chemical messengers that tell the new vessels to grow. This stops any more new vessels from growing and usually the new vessels that are already present start to regress. This process of regression takes time so it is possible to continue to get bleeds from the existing new vessels for some weeks. Occasionally, the existing new vessels continue to bleed in which case vitrectomy may be offer as a treatment.

So, although the current bleed is very inconvenient, at the moment there is probably no need to worry. However, do report back to your ophthalmologist so you can discuss what's happening.

Reactions: 3 people

Tanny35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the info. That's really useful to know.

As the morning has gone on - it appears to have settled and gone back to how my vision was yesterday - so I'm assuming it may have been the way the blood was sitting in my eye maybe. This happened at the beginning when I first had the bleeds. My vision was always bad in the mornings. But over the last couple of weeks it's not seemed to happen. Hence why I thought I had another bleed today.
I will let them know to be on the safe side! Thanks again

Reactions: 4 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @Tanny35
any further update on how your eyes are getting on post laser ??

himtoo :)

Tanny35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes @himtoo my vision is improving every day a little bit more!

I'm back at the hospital for follow up post laser on the 4th July.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people