Paiste

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being diabetic..
lol.. yeah, hope so..
Will keep you informed i guess, i'll be on here moaning on about stuff for a while! :D

yingal2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Spicey food, taxi drivers, hypos & hypers, pigeons, hospitals, dentists, my GP, my ****** immune system.
Paiste, thats a very good question. Here's another one if anyone has any information. I live in Northern Ireland and I hold a UK Provisional Licence. When I got my provisional licence I can't remember if I declared my type 1 diabetes or not! (10 years ago lol). My question is, do I need to renew my provisional?

Thanks.
Cole. aka Yingal2010

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Cole.
You say you live in Northern Ireland. Do you have a NI Driving Licence at all. If so what is it ?

Is the UK Licence a paper one and does it have an expiry date ?

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
cugila said:
Did anyone explain why you hadn't been diagnosed correctly in the first place.......we seem to be having more Members here who were mis-diagnosed, which is extremelyworrying.

Hi Cugila,

To be honest, I think they just plump for Type 2 if you're over 25ish regardless if you have any of the other signs etc. That's what seemed to happen to me. My story is very similar to Paiste's except that I still don't have a proper diagnosis, just 'Type unknown'. They don't seem to understand how dangerous it is to classify and treat someone as Type 2 when they're not. For me, my BG was in the mid-20's and they were still arguing I was Type 2 and didn't need to test! The consultant did his nut when I finally got to see him. Now I'm on a 'wait and see' approach - if it progresses it's probably LADA, if there is minimal progression it's probably a form of MODY. They still don't seem to get how important it is to my life to have a proper diagnosis and, thereby, prognosis. To be honest, I'm just relieved to be on insulin and managing to put some weight back on, but I'm still not on the most appropriate insulin at the moment. It all seems to have been trial and error rather than what I would term diagnosis. The consultant actually told me that about 20% of those diagnosed Type 2 are misdiagnosed and actually have a different form of diabetes which will come to light over time.

Smidge

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I suspect this misdiagnosis is very common which is why I hate the simplistic 'Type 1' or 'Type 2' classification which appears to be unscientific in many ways as the more we learn the more we find there is a spectrum of 'types'. When I was diagnosed by my GP as type 2 I had never been overweight, had been to the gym three times a week for years and had lost a lot of weight prior to diagnosis. I also had a reasonable diet if a bit high in carbs. My GP never did any tests to determine my type despite me not having insulin resistance symptoms. I suspect there are many others who have never been tested like me but are put straight onto metformin as a type 2 with little result as insulin resistance isn't the main issue. I hope the NHS/NICE encourage more GAD and c-peptide etc tests for those who aren't obvious type 2s at diagnosis so that the treatment choices can be tweaked and you know what base to start from. I guess the cost of these extra tests and GP ignorance is going to be an ongoing problem.

bree9482

Hi paiste. My name is Brendan. Your story is almost identical to mine!! I got diagnosed as type 2 on feb 2009. I was at work driving my truck. The doc called my mob phone as I had gone to Docs thinking I had a urine infection!! They tested blood and urine. He told me to drive straight th a+e as keytones etc... Anyways because I am a truck driver. They set me up on metfirmin glick and sitaglipton. Today I went to the clinic and got my 2 insulin pens etc... After 2 years of type 2 I'm now type 1. And the worst part is I just lost entitlement to drive trucks!!!! They also said the whole 3 year licence carry on!!! To be honest I'm absolutely gutted.

I seen your post and read it all. It's so close to my whole **** experience with diabetes. I just thought I would let you know, there are others like u a bit peed off!!

Hope things work out for u mate!!

Brendan

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Hi Brendan.
Welcome to the Forum.

Can I ask have you actually been told that you are a Type 1 ? That you were misdiagnosed ?

Whilst some are misdiagnosed there are others who have just been put onto Insulin which does not make them a Type 1.......

Would be interesting to know as this seems to be a 'hot' topic at the moment. :)

bree9482

Hi Cugila

Thank you! I have been informed that I was an extremely slow onset of type 1. My readings have been consistently in the mid 20's for about 6 months!! I was suck and tiered of it all so I chose to ignore it!! Bad idea!! Lol. I went from 96 kilos to weighed in today at 77 kilos. So now I'm left without my c and c1 entitlement

cugila

Master
Dislikes
Thanks Brendan.........all sounds too familiar. We keep hearing from more people like yourself and others who are being misdiagnosed. Problem is many times even us who are just Diabetic's can see the signs and think to ourselves he/she is a Type 1 from the sound of it. Why is it that the HCP's who are supposed to be the experts don't see what we do. :?

Sorry to hear about the loss of your driving entitlement. That sucks !!

I will defend HCP's when they need it but this just looks like a void in the knowledge of Diabetes in many cases........ :(

bree9482

Don't get me wrong both Docs I have been going to have been really good!! I'm just so confused with everything. Yesterday I was driving a 30 ton truck. Today because I stuck a little needle in Ma belly I can't ????? I think the person or people who come up with these cr*p ignorant pointless rules should be sent to a firing squad !!! Lol sorry I'm still really annoyed!!

Surely someone whom is in control of there diabetes is in better shape than someone whom is completely unaware of their condition?? It makes no sense!!

cugila

Master
Dislikes
I sympathise Brendan, however I have my own views about Driving LGV's etc and the use of Insulin. They are well documented on here and you probably won't agree........my priority is Road Safety and the safety of others. High Bg when driving as well as low can have their own specific problems, neither of them good. I'm not going into the subject here as there have already been some quite heated debates on here before, look in the Driving Licence Q&A thread....... :|

I hold a LGV Class C+E and PCV Class D+E so was always wary of having to go onto Insulin as a Type 2. I avoided it like the plague !!! As a Type 1 you don't have that luxury. However, I can see where you are coming from regarding this and know about the effects it must be having on you workwise etc. Not good.

So, if you have any specific questions you will find good answers here and best of all....great support.

Welcome to the DCUK Club....... :D

redrevis

I agree with cugila. Road safety is too important. The fact that they 'jump on you' when diagnosed and make you get a medically restricted licence is a good thing in my opinion. The fact that legally you have to be above 5.5mmol to be able to drive is good also. There are too many stories about people having hypos whilst driving and killing people because of it.

If one of your family members were the ones being killed because of someone hypoing at the wheel and they hadn't checked their BGs before setting off I'm sure you'd be majorly p*#sed off then. My brother died in a car crash (22yrs old) so I know what it's like to lose someone so close in such a horrific way. I read all the time online of people saying "I felt hypo when driving but I didn't care I just wanted to get home" and they don't stop and treat it. Other people will tell me they have no hypo awareness, I ask them if they're still driving, they answer "yes why". To me these kind of things are idiotic and dangerous. When you're on the road you have a responsibility for others peoples safety as well as your own and there's too many people that don't take that into consideration.

I appear to be ranting on a bit now. You get the picture. I'm not moaning at you because you were annoyed at having your licence restricted, I too was a bit annoyed at first, but the reality of it is that it has to be done and for very good reasons.

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
bree9482 said:
Surely someone whom is in control of there diabetes is in better shape than someone whom is completely unaware of their condition??
No, of course someone who is injecting medication that can cause confusion, irrational behaviour, unconsciousness, coma, fitting, and death is far more dangerous on the road than someone with such mild symptoms of diabetes that they don't even know they have it!

Someone please explain to me - are all these posters who complain about the DVLA's attitude to people on insulin ignorant of the effects of insulin - that it lowers blood sugar? Or are they ignorant of the effects of low blood sugar? Both of these were explained to me before I started on insulin, I think that anyone who is prescribed insulin but doesn't have these things explained to them has grounds for complaint against their GP/nurse/etc.

Or are they just selfish, and think that no one else's life matters, and think they should be allowed to risk other people's lives whenever they want?

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
bree9482 said:
Don't get me wrong both Docs I have been going to have been really good!! I'm just so confused with everything. Yesterday I was driving a 30 ton truck. Today because I stuck a little needle in Ma belly I can't ????? I think the person or people who come up with these cr*p ignorant pointless rules should be sent to a firing squad !!! Lol sorry I'm still really annoyed!!

Surely someone whom is in control of there diabetes is in better shape than someone whom is completely unaware of their condition?? It makes no sense!!

As I mentioned in the other thread the DVLA is proposing to change the regulations for driving and diabetes in accordance with an EU directive. At the moment it is only a proposal and open to consultation, it would have to be adopted into law. However the DVLA was part of the committee that drew up the EU directive and have said that 'Where the Panel has advised that a relaxation is consistent with road safety we are recommending that this is adopted.'
The new EU directive says that :
Drivers treated for diabetes, which carries a risk of hypoglycaemia (that is, with insulin and some tablets), may apply for entitlement to drive all Group 2 categories provided specific criteria are met.
These criteria are
• The driver has full hypoglycaemic awareness;
• The driver must show adequate control of the condition by regular blood glucose
monitoring, at least twice daily and at times relevant to driving;
• The driver must demonstrate an understanding of the risks of hypoglycaemia; and,
• There are no other debarring complications of diabetes.

The DVLA is proposing that this relaxation is adopted

For insulin treated diabetes the Panel recommends adopting this standard subject to
the opinion of an expert diabetologist which would be required annually to support the
consideration of relicensing. This annual review requirement is slightly more stringent than
the EU minimum requirement of a three yearly review, but the Panel felt that it was
necessary to maintain the UK one yearly review currently required for limited C1 licensing, for
road safety reasons. For diabetes treated with medication other than insulin which carries a
risk of inducing hypoglycaemia the Panel recommends accepting a doctor’s report

http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/consultations.aspx

Paiste

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being diabetic..
HLW said:
bree9482 said:
Surely someone whom is in control of there diabetes is in better shape than someone whom is completely unaware of their condition??
No, of course someone who is injecting medication that can cause confusion, irrational behaviour, unconsciousness, coma, fitting, and death is far more dangerous on the road than someone with such mild symptoms of diabetes that they don't even know they have it!

Someone please explain to me - are all these posters who complain about the DVLA's attitude to people on insulin ignorant of the effects of insulin - that it lowers blood sugar? Or are they ignorant of the effects of low blood sugar? Both of these were explained to me before I started on insulin, I think that anyone who is prescribed insulin but doesn't have these things explained to them has grounds for complaint against their GP/nurse/etc.

Or are they just selfish, and think that no one else's life matters, and think they should be allowed to risk other people's lives whenever they want?

Wow.. you must be leader of the 'unwelcoming' commitee perchance?
I find your comments a tad rude, my original post was a general query to the forum regarding the legitimacy of the DVLA's request to return my license. Giving me the 'option' to take this to court implies a lack of clarity on the subject. Your thoughts and knowledge where welcomed, insults were not.

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think driving license issues are fast taking over from the low-carb/not low-carb debates as the most divisive subject. We'll need seperate areas for those in favour of the rules and those of us against them soon :lol:

Smidge

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Paiste

It sucks, i am T2 on insulin, and i consider myself now to be quite well controlled, and since being on insulin i have not had a hypo

however things can happen that you are unaware of that can make you more of a risk

an example until recently i never had a reading of below 6.1

2 weeks ago i eat the same things every day, did the same amount of work, but one of the days i tested myself at 11am and i was 6.8, at midday when i test i had dropped to 4.9.. the DVLA suggest not to start driving at below 5! and only .9 away from being classed as hypo

had i waited until 1pm to have my lunch like i normally do i guess my levels would have dropped further. the following day me readings were back to the expected levels!

so the above is just one example of some that 'feels in control' can have unexpected levels lower than normal

Until Going on insulin i used to drive a dennis fire engine, that obviously could do a lot of damage should i not be in total control

so i can understand the dvla wanting to 'medically restrict' your licence to ensure you are staying as safe as possible. look on the bright side, you do still have a license, and so long as you stay in control there is no reason for you to lose it!

Paiste

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being diabetic..
Thankyou searly,
A point well made..