Happy New year from Abu Dhabi

C

catherinecherub

Hi @Patricia21 and I wish you a speedy recovery. Look after yourself and accept any pain relief offered. I am sure the rights and wrongs of any diet are the last thing on your mind.;);)

Reactions: 6 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Need to get well and over the op come first .
Consider the diet and lifestyle when more ready to do so .

Stepping stones - needs here .
One step at a time - for this lovely lady :)

We are thinking of you Patricia :)

Reactions: 8 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Aaww Pat, thinking of you and wishing you all the very best :)

RRB x

Reactions: 9 people

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Thank you my friends for your support,They let me out for a few hours today,my bad pain has gone but Im very sore,It was good to have a bit of fresh air and sunshine.
Thank you for the link Sid.

Reactions: 13 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Lots of positive thoughts are being sent to you and with xoxoxox

RRB :) take care

Reactions: 7 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The sun is lovely but I am in hospital,realy bad stomach pains,blood tests confirmed pancreaitis caused by gall stones,which I have had for some 20 years and never caused any problems before,I have realy been in agony,but feel much better now,the offending stone is being removed on Sunday during a endoscopy.
They are blaming my weight loss and to much fat in my diet ,im on LCHF.
The dietition has been to see me today and said to eat carbs and drop all fats.
Im at a loss what to do.

Everything else about me is good blood sugar is good,blood pressure good and LDL is down since I started LCHF.
I havent tried to lose weight,but lost a stone and a half since June,Im eating plenty of what I feel is the right food.
Your thoughts will be very welcome.
I'm glad you are up and about and the stone pain has resolved a bit, best wishes for your op today and I hope my and sids link has reasured you that there are options to what the dietetitian told you and caused you consern
ps. I couldnt find the link to the diet sheet posted here on the forum but here is a link to the Practice Point web page. Scroll down to "So what should I eat to control Diabetes or Pre-diabetes?"

Opps forgot to post the link....

http://www.practicaldiabetes.com/SpringboardWebApp/userfiles/espdi/file/March 2014/PP Unwin final proofs revised.pdf

There you go
Sid, I have always wondered why we bumped heads, when you are low carbohydrate/higher fat as per the link, enough to sustain your body weight,
I think we are talking about the same diet, slightly different name, the Southport Dr and the thread on this site is a LCHF diet, although he doesn't state it as such in your link, and uses the term a" low carbohydrate/higher fat "...if you wish to confirm it, post and ask him in the Southport thread

Last edited by a moderator:

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Sid, I have always wondered why we bumped heads, when you are low carbohydrate/higher fat as per the link.............

Oh Jack do please read the link I am not an advocate of high fat and never have been and nether is southportGP

What the link actually says is "Fats (yes, fats can be fine in moderation" & on cheese he states quite clearly "Cheese: only in moderation – it’s a very calorific mixture of fat, carbs and protein" oh and on snacks he says "Snacks: avoid. But un-salted nuts such as almonds or walnuts are great to stave off hunger. The occasional treat of strong dark chocolate 70% or more in small quantity is allowed"

So we are not the same at all Jack, but I guess you only read what you wanted to read.

I actually eat a diet similar to the one outlined by the southportGP but I dont follow any diet to the letter, the diet I eat is mine and was formulated by me over the last 6 years by trial and error. The lifestyle I would recommend to other people is dont blindly follow GI and dont blindly follow lchf find out what works for you as an individual. And I am far from being an anti!! Iit is those who call others anti's who are the real antis because they are anti anything that is not lchf, I find that a very blinkered view personally.

So I would ask you not to put words into my mouth and to twist what I say in future and dont assume you know anything about me or my diabetic lifestyle.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Sid / Jack please can you 'both' use the PM source to say your 'bits to each other' .

Jack - All members here can choose their own diet(s)
Which works for them individually .

After all we are all individual and unique person(s) and our diabetes
self management routine is in our own hands each day.

Reactions: 9 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Patricia - hope all goes well with your 'op' today .
Take time to get well and strong again .

One step at a time - best approach . ;)

We are thinking of you . :)

Reactions: 6 people

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Hello everyone.
I am back at my daughters,a bit tired abd sore on a fluid diet until the 7th when I go back to see the Dr.
Blood test last night said I didnt need the procedure as my pancreas had settled,but liver enzimes were still not normal,I must have passed the stone..
I had a long talk to the consultant this morning [never had such a long conversation with a Dr before] ,He treats diabetes,and tells me there is a lot of people in the UAE with diabetes,he totally agrees with low carb but high fat dosent suit everyone,and dosent encourage it for me at the moment.
He advised to up the protien but stay on medium carbs.and dosent advise Metformin at the moment.
I have been on medium carbs since June,but did go a bit mad with fats,butter cream ect.
Problem with low fat things they contain sugar and chemicals.
I have been advised to get my gall bladder removed.
The consultant I spoke to used to work in Liverpool,I have never seen a doctor about my diabetes,just the nurse ,who is not a diabetic nurse.
Well thats my news for today.I hope to enjoy the sun.
Thank you all you lovely people for your concern,I will be in touch x x x x x

Reactions: 12 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Thinking of you too Pat.
Speedy recovery!
EDWARD

C

catherinecherub

Thank goodness you are over the worst.
Thinking of you and hope things go well from now on. Your Dr. is the one to give you advice about this complaint.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Removed to its own thread so as to not be seen as an attempt to derail
Best of luck in your recovery @Patricia21

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people
K

Kat100

Thank goodness that part is over @Patricia21
It will be a relief to be home in a way , but make the most of the sun first , freezing here ...
So you have to see about your gall bladder ....next on your list ....but that is sort of positive thing now you know the cause of the pain ...
I have learnt something new , about being able to pass gall stones , kidney ones yes ...but I had never heard of gallstones being passed before , that must be quiet rare....goodness take it easy .......I expect you already know that gall stones can be hereditary ....some chemical imbalance or other ....enough about this ....sit in the sun and rest ......best wishes ...Kat :cat:

Reactions: 5 people

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Hello you lovely friends that gave me support.
I got home to the cold yesterday,but not before I saw Mcllory get a hole in one at Abu Dhabi golf course,I also got my photo taken with Tim Henman,which is on my Face book page.
I am glad to be home,I feel safer here,and I have an appointment with my doctor in the morning.
I enjoyed my last week away,but felt very panicky at times,I didnt relise you could become so ill so quickly.
I also got fed up of family and friends telling me I was to thin and I should eat more,and it dosent look good at my age to be thin,I eat plenty but didnt have much of an appitite while I was there,and could only have fluids for a few days.I feel depressed and I will work to pull myself together.
I hope you are all well and free from your colds
Thank you once again.
Love
Pat x

Reactions: 4 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I got home to the cold yesterday,but not before I saw Mcllory get a hole in one at Abu Dhabi golf course,I also got my photo taken with Tim Henman,which is on my Face book page.
I am glad to be home,I feel safer here,and I have an appointment with my doctor in the morning.
I enjoyed my last week away,but felt very panicky at times,I didnt relise you could become so ill so quickly.
I also got fed up of family and friends telling me I was to thin and I should eat more,and it dosent look good at my age to be thin,I eat plenty but didnt have much of an appitite while I was there,and could only have fluids for a few days.I feel depressed and I will work to pull myself together.
Thank you once again.
Love
Pat x

Being told you look too thin whilst medically unable to eat anything isn't too helpful, and bound make you feel a bit down. :(

I would think that for now you just have to be a bit gentle on your system and just get back to eating sensibly. I know when I come back to the UK I always feel the cold terribly, so make sure you wrap up well and don't allow yourself to get cold. The only time I have felt really low (about having got skinny) was when I was recently looking for decent shorts, in sub-zero temperatures, with frozen feet. The prospect of finding any shorts, and having to undress to try them on was almost worse than not being able to find any. :wideyed: Jeeeez, I felt fed up!

Look after yourself. This is the long game, so no need for panic moves, I'd think. I hope your appointment with your GP goes well.

Reactions: 3 people

Adelle0607

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you once again.
Love
Pat x
I'm glad you're home now @Patricia21, back to your comfort zone. Hope your appetite goes well again, stay strong xx

Adelle

Snowy12

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tuna,People spitting on the floor and ironing.
Omg pat you had a worrying time whilst away,I hope you have started to feel abit better,now you are safely in your own home.
Sorry I didn't see the thread earlier take care xx

Reactions: 2 people