Has anyone used one of these meters?

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dual test strips are called CareSens PRO and are available for £9.95 per pack of 50 VAT free (if required, ketone test strips are provided for £9.95 per pack of 10 VAT free)

@Bluetit1802 As oldvatr seems to be the guru on this, so 50 strips for £9.95 ! ;)

Reactions: Enclave

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Looks good to me, depending on the cost for us self funders. I see it says £9.95 for test strips. I wonder if this is for 25 or 50.
You have found this weeks deliberate error. The price on the Data Sheet is the NHS price (VAT Free) for 50 strips. The cost to us mere mortals using private venture capital is £12.75 for same item. I think this is also the VAT free price,
Edit: Watch this space, price above may be VAT inclusive, Awaiting callback from customer care. As I said this is prelaunch

Last edited:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You have found this weeks deliberate error. The price on the Data Sheet is the NHS price (VAT Free) for 50 strips. The cost to us mere mortals using private venture capital is £12.75 for same item. I think this is also the VAT free price,

I did wonder about that. Thanks for the confirmation. So they are twice the price of Codefree more or less.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I did wonder about that. Thanks for the confirmation. So they are twice the price of Codefree more or less.
Seems like it. But in terms of the CCG selection criteria then they are acceptable for prescription issue which was the point I had to start from. I personally found the Codefree a bit unreliable especially since I run close to hypoland, and I hope this meter is more dependable with the bonus of ketone measurement if I need that in future,

The TEE2 from same supplier has cheaper strips, is CCG compatible, but has fewer bells and whistles.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Seems like it. But in terms of the CCG selection criteria then they are acceptable for prescription issue which was the point I had to start from. I personally found the Codefree a bit unreliable especially since I run close to hypoland, and I hope this meter is more dependable with the bonus of ketone measurement if I need that in future,

The TEE2 from same supplier has cheaper strips, is CCG compatible, but has fewer bells and whistles.
Price of strips for Caresense Dual to the general public are £12.75+VAT for 50 strips. Confirmed by Spirit.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Do the meters comply with DVLA rules for storing 3 months worth of readings?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do the meters comply with DVLA rules for storing 3 months worth of readings?
They all store up to 500 readings. The Caresense Dual that I am trying has 1000 memory. How long is a piece of string?

Edit to add: If we are talking about a T1D averaging 7 readings a day, then 500 memory will start overwriting after 71 days, which is less than the 3 months.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This google search string seems to bring up relevant information in SMBG measures being put in place by various CCG's around the uk:
nhs ccg diabetes self monitoring
Try it and see if your local CCG is implementing the new policy.

Last edited:

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
This google search string seems to bring up relevant information in SMBG measures being put in place by various CCG's around the uk:
nhs ccg diabetes self monitoring
Try it and see if your local CCG is implementing the new policy.
The link doesn't work :)

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The link doesn't work :)
Simples:- Its a google search string to be cut and pasted, and was never intended as a link. My fault for highlighting in blue, Will edit that to make it even more obvious

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Update on my progress in finding a replacement meter.

I have now used up the 10 test strips that came with the kit for the Caresense Dual from Spirit Healthcare. As I said previous, this is a new meter that has not launched yet, so when I went back to order a pot of 50 as a private purchase, I found they were not set up for taking my money over the phone. So I am waiting to find out how I can proceed.

Anyway, I have plotted the results compared to my other 2 meters, and enclose a graph I plotted. So far it is looking good, and seems to follow the SD Codefree, but perhaps slightly more accurate. I base this judgement in that the Codefree consistently reads high when it approaches hypoland, and on all 3 days of the trial I ended up starting to get the symptoms showing for hypo, and on the third day that hypo actually did develop more obviously after the readings. Both the SD and the CareSense read above 5 mmol/l. so only the NEO showed I was in danger of a hypo. But this is a problem common to plasma equivalent meters.

Attachments

• CareSense evaluation.pdf
    188.8 KB · Views: 337

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Test strip problem now resolved. USB cable received and working. Had a slight problem with Smartlog2 software,but that is now resolved. First set of results uploaded successfully to my laptop and meter time synched ok. PLAYTIME !!!!!

Reactions: 75Bedford

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Test strip problem now resolved. USB cable received and working. Had a slight problem with Smartlog2 software,but that is now resolved. First set of results uploaded successfully to my laptop and meter time synched ok. PLAYTIME !!!!!
Do you know if they are up and running for selling the stuff then.. Would like to try the ketone meter as I just hoovered up a load of strips on ebay for the glucomen - so could run a test with the two in parallel.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you know if they are up and running for selling the stuff then.. Would like to try the ketone meter as I just hoovered up a load of strips on ebay for the glucomen - so could run a test with the two in parallel.
I found them very accomodating. I think supplies are not fully up to speed yet, since the product is only just coming on line. Ring them and enquire - They seem very helpful and quite well organised. I just bought my pot of the new BGL strips, and confirm the VAT free price at £9.95 for 50. Make sure you ask for the VAT registration form at the same time - its apparently a one off declaration, so in place for future purchases from them. I used CC over the phone no probs. Not on website yet so no PayPal yet.

My meter (and USB cable) was aupplied FOC, but this may be because I enquired mentioning CCG, and of course NHS will be supplying free meters if you qualify for scrips.

EDIT to remind, the price for ketone strips is for a pot of 10

PS it supports AST too. I have not tried their lancer device yet.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Update: I have formally informed my CCG of my acceptance of the Spirit Dual meter to replace my NEO meter. Althoigh not on their formal list for selection, nonetheless the price of test strips meets their criterion, and this meter is acceptable. My scrip has been chsnged to the new ones, and I have just arranged for an advance procurement to test the pharmacy route for obtaining them since the new strips are probably not on their computer yet.

I attach a graph showing how it compared to my existing meters, and it generally lies in the middle, which is ok by me since my NEO may have been reading too low, and the Codefree is suspected of reading high.

The Dual has a nice readable screen display, and is illuminated. The memory access is cack handed in that on most meters, the left button scrolls back in time, wherea on this meter that scrolls averages, and it is the right button that scrolls the memory locations. I have not set any bells and whistles yet, but it does have a hypo warning adjustable setting. The Hyper warning is also settable. There is a test strip expiry date alarm too. There are timers for 2hr PP and 3 for time.

I could not get the bluetooth to work with my laptop, although the two did talk to each other, it was not possible to pair the devices, or to integrate with their SmartLog software. It is designed for mobile app version, not laptop. However, I did get their logging software to upload readings using the USB cable (it needs an Apple type USB not PC, available from Customer Care.

I had some misreads with this meter, and the strips are top down loading, not side loading, and the fill window is difficult to see. Hold the meter vertical when applying blood.

Generally a no frills machine, it will probably suit T2D, but probably does not have all the facilities for insulin users. No meal log either. Does ketones (hence the Dual). The test strips are not the cheapest on the market, but reasonable. I think I prefer it to my Codefree, but time will tell.

Attachments

• CareSense evaluation 2.pdf
    186.3 KB · Views: 208

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have now concluded my trial into comparing my current use SD Codefree, and NEO#1 meters against the brand new Caresense Dual and NEO#2 meters in parallel testing.

I have chosen the Dual meter as my CCG agreed meter, and have just had my first prescription fulfilled

I an uploading my report as follows:

Attachments

• Caresense Trial Final Report..pdf
    392.3 KB · Views: 392