Has my honeymoon period ended?

nmr1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was just wondering if I am starting to ease my way out of the 'honeymoon period' because today at breakfast my blood sugar was 9.4 mmol/l and had a milkshake to accomodate that when I thought I was excessively exercising by walking up stairs and a couple of miles that would bring the sugars down enough.

I had a bit of a break in between breakfast and lunch and use my exercise routine to bring the sugars down yet again as i thought i was still in my honeymoon period producing my own insulin.

I plan to have lunch right now but i'm not so sure because my blood test equipment for 'before midday meal' is telling me that my blood glucose levels are at 26.9 mmol/l, I have had a look at the symptoms that are caused by high blood sugars and i'm not experiencing any, I might take a little bit of insulin but not too much.

Do you think I should test my blood again or is my honeymoon period over and i'll have to do insulin all the time from now on?

EDIT: Just tested my blood again just dropped to 23.7. Anyone know what ia happening reply asap!

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi nmr1991!

All sorts of things can send your BG to unusual levels. Your honeymoon period may well be ending and if so, you'll need more basal - if this is the case, going to see your DSN would be the best approach as you will need your whole insulin regime reviewed.

However, try not to panic! You might be coming down with a cold or infection of some kind. Give it a few days to see if your BG returns to 'normal'. Test frequently before and 2 hours after meals and at bedtime. Record your results and what you have eaten and how much insulin you have taken. This will help your DSN help you adjust your doses if it becomes necessary.

Incidentally, your milkshake won't have helped matters - milk is full of sugar (lactose).

Good luck

I should have said, if you start to feel ill and have high BG, go to the doctor immediately.

Smidge

Fallenstar

Hi
Probably, though as Smidge said there are a few reasons for out of the blue highs...mine HMP finished decades ago but I still get some high and low days from time to time..not much since my change of insulin but the odd freaky day...so it could be a bug, stress, other hormones .
Or as your said the end of the HMP.

Test, record for a few days ,get in touch with your DSN to review results and ask them about correction doses. I use these a lot and they are invaluable to me as I am very active ,my Correction dose is 1 unit to drop me 4 mmol's . If your Basal dose is correct, they work perfectly. Your DSN will advise you on your correction dose,but you may need overall changes to your insulin doses. Especially of your Basal if your HMP has come to an end.

Don't panic get I'm touch with your DSN as soon as poss, but test as Smidge says and see what happens..and stay away from the milk shakes. They would kill me :crazy:

nmr1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the reply, in the coming winter months and quite recently I have come down with quite a cold and cough and this may be the cause since just now my blood sugar levels are gradually decreasing and I am becoming less tired from the effects of high blood sugar. My nutritionist told me that my honeymoon period would end around this time of the year, but I could be one of the rare people who get it for an even longer period.

I think the fact that I didn't take any insulin this morning was one of the causes that my blood sugar went really high, and I may think again about drinking milkshakes from now on.

I shall test it once again tonight and the usual 4 times tomorrow, and will control my intake of carbohydrates and see if I have really gone out my honeymoon period.

I will discuss my situation once I have found out what condition i'm really in.