Has NICE guidance had changes?

jim1951

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am T2 with a number of other health conditions that give conflicting dietary requirements. Some years back my GP referred me to a dietician who could only advise to eat for the complaint giving most problems at any particular time.

I am pretty certain that the NICE guidance stated that a T2 individual could request testing strips and lancets if involved "in lifestyle changes". I put this forward to my surgery and have been prescribed continuously for a number of years.

My recent HBA1C was 52 and after age adjustment is considered acceptable. Because of this my surgery has withdrawn these from me as being no longer required. I see that as missing how they have helped me.

Maybe I have been lucky to have them prescribed in the first place but I have always argued that continuous dietary monitoring has helped me make decisions to keep my HBA1C within range.

I want to make my case again to the surgery, but when I have checked NICE (NG28) I cannot find references I have seen before and note the guidance was updated in June 22.

Should I just accept that I have been in a small minority in being prescribed these and hope my HBA1C is okay between tests, or, should I be arguing for continued supply and what guidance can I quote?

filly

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Spicy food which is too hot. Nasty people who have no idea on your life journey but feel the need to comment and be cruel.
I think just bite the bullet and buy your own. Continue to track to keep you on the right path. If you don't have DP leave the first test. Then depending on what you eat test before and after. It is worth it. If you buy on subscription it is cheaper.
Difficult I know.
Best of Luck.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
I am T2 with a number of other health conditions that give conflicting dietary requirements. Some years back my GP referred me to a dietician who could only advise to eat for the complaint giving most problems at any particular time.

I am pretty certain that the NICE guidance stated that a T2 individual could request testing strips and lancets if involved "in lifestyle changes". I put this forward to my surgery and have been prescribed continuously for a number of years.

My recent HBA1C was 52 and after age adjustment is considered acceptable. Because of this my surgery has withdrawn these from me as being no longer required. I see that as missing how they have helped me.

Maybe I have been lucky to have them prescribed in the first place but I have always argued that continuous dietary monitoring has helped me make decisions to keep my HBA1C within range.

I want to make my case again to the surgery, but when I have checked NICE (NG28) I cannot find references I have seen before and note the guidance was updated in June 22.

Should I just accept that I have been in a small minority in being prescribed these and hope my HBA1C is okay between tests, or, should I be arguing for continued supply and what guidance can I quote?
Well I think that is why a lot of us here self fund. I self fund as I can do without the huffs, puffs and lectures from my DN about not needing to test! Gps would not prescribe testing strips for me unless I was on meds. I am not on meds. The way the nhs is going it will be a two tier system soon, if one can afford it okay if not, go without. Its happening already with the prescription increase and people having to cherry pick what meds they can/cannot go without. In some cases, people just will not collect their medication. I just despair the way things are going.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Makes me think of the saying "No good deed goes unpunished". It does seem so counterproductive of the NHS to do this, but they aren't the only outfit to prioritise small savings over big ones. FWIW I think you have done magnificently, and all credit to you.

Reactions: jim1951