Have I Got a Good Argument Against Statins?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
2017-07-12 20.42.35.png

I have been comparing my cholesterol results with those on Heart UK. Am I right thinking my results aren't too bad? I think the triglyceride level might be ok despite it being highlighted, as it wasn't a fasting sample. I'm seeing my GP on Friday for my first review since diagnosis, and I don't know if Statins will be suggested. I'm not keen on taking them and want to understand the numbers better to be able to discuss it properly. Those of you in the know, what do you think?

librarising

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
View attachment 23361
I have been comparing my cholesterol results with those on Heart UK. Am I right thinking my results aren't too bad? I think the triglyceride level might be ok despite it being highlighted, as it wasn't a fasting sample. I'm seeing my GP on Friday for my first review since diagnosis, and I don't know if Statins will be suggested. I'm not keen on taking them and want to understand the numbers better to be able to discuss it properly. Those of you in the know, what do you think?
"The new benchmark ratio is triglycerides to HDL cholesterol. A study published in the journal Circulation found that people who had the highest triglyceride-to-HDL cholesterol ratios were 16 times more likely to develop heart disease than those with the lowest ratios."
https://heartmdinstitute.com/heart-...-test-cholesterol-particle-size-alternatives/
I doubt your GP will know anything about this 'new benchmark' so you may have to stand your ground. Ideally your trigs should be equal to or less than your HDL, which they aren't, but at least they're heading in the right direction. So whatever you're doing right, keep it up !
Geoff

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There is a calculator which analyses these results, unfortunately I don't have a link hopefully someone else does.
My doctor used a NHS program which gives the likelihood of a heart attack in the next ten years. I think if it is over 10% they recommend statins. As I am nearly 70 10% didn't seem too bad but my main objection was that the program just asked if I was diabetic, not what type, was it controlled, what is my HbA1c. I asked him to run the program again and say not diabetic and there was no recommendation of statins so I said no thanks.

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Here's my argument to my doctors with respect to taking statins: "no thanks". And Mr Pot is right: the current standard of care is that a statin should be prescribed to anyone that has diabetes, regardless of their cholesterol or blood glucose levels, hence the computer algorithm results he got.

Reactions: Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is a calculator which analyses these results, unfortunately I don't have a link hopefully someone else does.
My doctor used a NHS program which gives the likelihood of a heart attack in the next ten years. I think if it is over 10% they recommend statins. As I am nearly 70 10% didn't seem too bad but my main objection was that the program just asked if I was diabetic, not what type, was it controlled, what is my HbA1c. I asked him to run the program again and say not diabetic and there was no recommendation of statins so I said no thanks.
Thanks for this. I found the link:
https://qrisk.org/2017/
I entered my details with T2 and it came out as 15.2%! But taking off the T2 it came down to 7%

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for this. I found the link:
https://qrisk.org/2017/
I entered my details with T2 and it came out as 15.2%! But taking off the T2 it came down to 7%
Yes it's hugely biased against us with diabetes yet doesn't ask whether we are well controlled or what our HbA1c is. Probably because most NHS customers only get worse not better following their docs instructions unless they are extremely lucky and have an Unwin type doctor.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Mine has always been.. "I don't want them ever thanks."

Here's my argument to my doctors with respect to taking statins: "no thanks". And Mr Pot is right: the current standard of care is that a statin should be prescribed to anyone that has diabetes, regardless of their cholesterol or blood glucose levels, hence the computer algorithm results he got.

I think I'm going to go for the approach that as I still have room for improving my HbA1c, that I want to think about it and see at my next review. If he suggests them!

Reactions: zand

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I'm going to go for the approach that as I still have room for improving my HbA1c, that I want to think about it and see at my next review. If he suggests them!
Sounds like a plan and remember the doc only advises.. you make the final decision about what to take.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes it's hugely biased against us with diabetes yet doesn't ask whether we are well controlled or what our HbA1c is. Probably because most NHS customers only get worse not better following their docs instructions unless they are extremely lucky and have an Unwin type doctor.
It remains to be seen what type of doctor my GP is! I saw a different one at diagnosis as was I squeezed in for an appt at short notice! Statins weren't even mentioned then, I'm just preempting what might happen on Friday.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sounds like a plan and remember the doc only advises.. you make the final decision about what to take.
Yes boss! No seriously, I've already refused a Weight Watchers style class and consideration of bariatric surgery, I'm sure I can fight my corner!

Last edited:

lindisfel

Expert
Ah, ok, well using that my results are a little better so, I will hope there is room for further improvement.
Took me a few years of progressive low carb good fats but my Trigs came to c.1.0 and HDL 1.8 and am hoping for better on my next test. D.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes it's hugely biased against us with diabetes yet doesn't ask whether we are well controlled or what our HbA1c is.

I think the level of insulin our body has to cope with is as much of a factor as the BG level, so being well controlled may not reduce risk factors unless the control is from low carb. As insulin levels are not tested for, they are not on GP records, so can't be looked at with the "large data" systems can discover the risk factors.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Of all your figs, the only one that I would blink at are the Trigs - but since those are affected by recently eaten food, and your test was a non-fasting one, I wouldn't worry about that, either.

Personally, I have decided to always fast before a cholesterol test, whether they tell me to or not, because it is the only way I will ever be able to compare my results over time. I mean, a big breakfast or even dinner the night before could throw the trig numbers high. Another factor to affect Trigs is alcohol intake, so it is always wise to abstain for 24 hrs before the test.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/4...between-nonfasting-fasting-cholesterol-tests/

smw99

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
http://www.hughcalc.org/chol-si.php

This is the ratio checker that I have used. My figures for cholesterol have gone up on LCHF but my trigliceride figure is very low and my ratios come out ideal so I refuse statins.

I believe for an accurate trigs figure it needs to be a fasting test.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Of all your figs, the only one that I would blink at are the Trigs - but since those are affected by recently eaten food, and your test was a non-fasting one, I wouldn't worry about that, either.

Personally, I have decided to always fast before a cholesterol test, whether they tell me to or not, because it is the only way I will ever be able to compare my results over time. I mean, a big breakfast or even dinner the night before could throw the trig numbers high. Another factor to affect Trigs is alcohol intake, so it is always wise to abstain for 24 hrs before the test.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/4...between-nonfasting-fasting-cholesterol-tests/
Ah, that's good to know! I don't drink anyway but I'll try fasting next time.