HbA1c blood test tomorrow...

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
...well - later today now.

My doctor says they don't do the full works for cholesterol now so I won't apparently get a breakdown of HDL, LDL, etc, so I feel a bit peevish! I was hoping to get more evidence that I don't really need statins. He knows I've not been taking them since last autumn. :D

I've posted elsewhere that I believe that the reduction in glucose levels I suddenly saw last autumn was possibly due to my coming off my long term steroid eye drops, but I've wondered more recently whether this might also be due in part to stopping my simvastatin, which also happened a few weeks prior to me seeing the change.

But I do know I should get a nice low HbA1c result again - the diabetes.co.uk converter/predictor tells me that my 3 monthly average of 6.5 from finger prick tests should come in at 38.8 but from previous results it will be a bit higher so hopefully 40 or 41.

Robbity

Reactions: 2 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi Robbity - fingers crossed for you having a nice low HbA1c.

If my surgery said that they aren't going to measure the HDL and trig components I would tell them then not to bother taking my blood and never darken my door with statin discussions again.

They take an oath to do no harm and making decisions on part info when they know it doesn't tell them anything useful but just allows them to medicate more people is just plain dangerous.

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Good luck for today @Robbity, getting my HbA1c tests always seems like sitting an exam to me, anxiously waiting results. After all your hard work you should get a good figure. ( I found my bs levels dropped a bit after I stopped the statins also )

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@andcol

Andrew, I talked to our vampire nursie while she was taking my blood - and she has confirmed that our fasting test still does actually check all the cholesterol info, so my GP was obviously talking through his ...errm... hat.

Robbity

Reactions: 4 people