HbA1c confusion in new diabetic

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed as diabetic just over a weeks ago. Type 2. This was based on my fasting blood test result of 7.3

On Friday I had the results of my HbA1c test, it is 6.4

I have been given a diet sheet, told to restrict my carbs to 100g a day, and given a prescription of 1 metformin 500mg tablet to take a day. I will get another HbA1c blood test in 3 months.

I have already had loads of useful info from you on the New Members thread.

My confusion is - with my fasting levels so low and my HbA1c being only 7.3, am I actually a diabetic? Or is my doctor jumping the gun?

I must say, my visit with the practice nurse was very upsetting...but I will ask about that another time.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
No, you're almost certainly diabetic.

A HbA1c of 7.3% is indicative that your average BG over the last few months was about 10 mmol/l.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-to-bloo ... erter.html

It's not as bad as some of us on diagnosis (mine was 10.2%), but it is nowhere near "non-diabetic" (<<5%). Without anything else, a HbA1c of >6.5% is enough to diagnose diabetes.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. You mentioned two different HbA1c levels in your Post i.e. 6.4 and 7.3. Can you confirm which one is correct. To be given 100gm carb diet advice is fantastic. It indicates you are dealing with health professionals who understand diabetes which is a good start!

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. An Hba1c of 6.4 isn't too bad but does indicate your diabetes diagnosis is correct. NICE guidelines suggest you need to be controlled below 7.0 to avoid long-term damage. Try keeping to the 100gm diet where you can and hopefully with the Metformin your levels will stay good. The Metformin can be increased if needed.

mousemat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I read on an American website ( don't laugh) that the way that diabetes is now diagnosed is through the HbA1c result.

So if this is under 7, you are not considered diabetic.

I'm not sure why this would be, as surely, in America, they would be keen to define diabetics early , given the amount of medical care that wouldbe needed.

borofergie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Racism, Sexism, Homophobia
mousemat said:
I read on an American website ( don't laugh) that the way that diabetes is now diagnosed is through the HbA1c result.

Yay! I've got a 5.2%. I'm Cured! I'M CURED I TELL YOU!

Does it make any difference what the Americans consider non-diabetic? As far as I know, once you are diagnosed in the UK you are in the club for life. You might have to fight with your Doctor to stay on your meds, but they won't ever discharge you.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:lol:

You mean I will always be considered a diabetic, even if I get my bs under control?

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
mousemat said:

I'm not sure why this would be, as surely, in America, they would be keen to define diabetics early , given the amount of medical care that wouldbe needed.

This is happening in the UK as well but the cut off point (as in the US) is not an HbA1c of 7% but one of 6.5% and those who are between 6 and 6.4% are considered to have impaired glucose tolerance.
"The test is not recommended for diagnosis of type 1 diabetes, and should not be used to diagnose type 2 diabetes in children, or patients with end-stage kidney disease, haemoglobinopathies or anaemia"
http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/newsarticle ... eload-rise

Mothman

Dislikes
Raw tomatoes and arrogant people.
So, i was originally diagnosed with an HbA1c of 7.5, got it to 6.5 with considerable effort and hope to get it lower with my next test in a months time. Are you saying that if i reduce below 6.5 i will no longer be diabetic and go back to eating what i like? I can tell you that if i do my figures will skyrocket again. Once a diabetic, always a diabetic but you can control it with what you eat. There will be one hel of a row with my Doctor if she suggests ime 'cured' and can carry on my life as normal.Ive eaten the wrong things and up the sugars go. Its the NHS just trying to save money at the expense of out health and lives.

Andy

mousemat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Well that's interesting.

My last two tests were 5.1 and 5.2, so I wondered if there was such a thing as going back to be a borderline diabetic.

Although if I went back to eating sugar,I'm sure it would go higher.

Strangely enough, two years ago, if I ate white rice, my bs would rise to 10 ish. Now it's only around 7.

I'm on a lower medication than before and don't do exercise, so there is no accounting for this.

The only thing that is different is that I am less stressed.

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
mousemat said:
Well that's interesting.

My last two tests were 5.1 and 5.2, so I wondered if there was such a thing as going back to be a borderline diabetic.

Although if I went back to eating sugar,I'm sure it would go higher.

Strangely enough, two years ago, if I ate white rice, my bs would rise to 10 ish. Now it's only around 7.

I'm on a lower medication than before and don't do exercise, so there is no accounting for this.

The only thing that is different is that I am less stressed.

Have you lost weight? If you've done that then your insulin resistance may well have dropped.

Diabetes is progressive IF you don't do anything about it so at the point you get diagnosed you will have such an such an insulin resistance that stops your insulin working properly and such and such of your pancreatic insulin production capability left depending on how high and how long your blood sugars have been running at high levels capable of killing off your beta cells.

If you are lucky like "youngfrank" see http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27434 then if you still have a decent amount of pancreatic function left and then lose enough weight to shift the majority of your insulin resistance you may well find you can begin to eat more carbs again. The point youngfrank then correctly makes is why do that as it will start you back becoming diabetic again if you readopt your old unhealthy life style and diet.

Of course if it turns out you are one of the 3% (I read somewhere) of Type 2's wrongly diagnosed who should be Type 1.5 then the above doesn't help much because your pancreas is giving out anyway. Likewise if you are true Type 2 and have been running your blood sugars at lethal beta cell levels for a while you also wont have a lot of insulin production left so you wont get the same results.

I have no idea how you go about finding what your insulin resistance is or how much function you still have and I'm sure my surgery wouldn't pay for the tests anyway so the best I can do is lose loads of weight while keeping my blood sugars safe. That way as my insulin resistance drops I might start to recover some carb eating capability at some future date.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi xyzzy. The C-Peptide test does show how much insulin is in the blood at the time of test as c-peptide tracks the level of insulin. I believe there are further tests for pancreatic function but can't remember what they are. Like you have found, the NHS doesn't like doing thse tests due to cost; guessing is much cheaper....

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Mothman:
The change is that HbA1c is being used to diagnose that's all. There are many people who were diagnosed under older criteria that have managed at some time to have lower readings. They are still considered to be diabetic. If a normal amount of carbohydrates causes your glucose levels to rise without taking medication then you are most definitely still diabetic.

I find the Newcastle study interesting though, I think if people were able to pass glucose tolerance tests over a period of time one should at least say that their diabetes is in remission... and what if with a 'healthy diet' they could do it for many years???
I think though that the name diabetes covers a number of conditions sharing a common symptom of high glucose levels.
A Newcastle type of intervention may work with some but most definitely not all. The subjects in that study were quite a select group (overweight and hadn't been diagnosed with T2 for very long) Three months after that study , 3 of the 10 subjects were unable to 'pass' a glucose tolerance test , we don't know what happened at 6months or a year later.

youngmanfrank

There is a Newcastle University press release dated 24.6.2011 which quotes one of their trial volunteers and he states that 18 months on he is still off medication,presumably with normal blood sugars.This suggests that the trial took place in 2010 sometime.

http://www.ncl.ac.uk/press.office/press ... 2-diabetes

I do so wish that Newcastle would now do a follow up on all of the successful volunteers and publish their current results.

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
youngmanfrank said:
I do so wish that Newcastle would now do a follow up on all of the successful volunteers and publish their current results.

You'd need to ask/pester/lobby Diabetes UK as it was they who funded the study I believe :D

mousemat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
xyzzy said:
Thanks xyzzy ..lost weight but put it back on, so no real change.

I'm convinced that stress plays a part in diabetes, so maybe we should ask for stress-busting strategies as wellas BG testers.

mousemat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
xyzzy said:
[quote=

Have you lost weight? If you've done that then your insulin resistance may well have dropped.

No.. Lost it at first, then put most if it back on.
No change n readings.

I honestly believe its something to do with stress.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
lucylocket61 said:
My 12 hour fasting blood test (not HbA1c) is 7.3

My HbA1c is 6.4

As far as I know, that is not enough to diagnose diabetes and your GP may have jumped the gun. You may like to read this article in Diabetes Care, A1C Versus Glucose Testing: A Comparison which talks about the variability in results. As it states:

"Before addressing glucose and A1C, it is important to consider the factors that impact the results of any blood test.While laboratory medicine journals have devoted some discussion to the sources of variability in results of blood tests, this topic has received little attention in the clinical literature."

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/conten ... 8.full.pdf

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I go through periods where control seems impossible, weeks or months when levels are between 15 and 28 with hba1c or 10.7

Then in the snap of a finger for weeks i have readings of 5 to 9 and hba1c of 7.2

When i was diagnosed only a few years back my hba1c was 7.4 and my doctor said anything over 7.2 was considered diabetic

I was assured that even if i managed to no diabetic levels, even without insulin i would still be diabetic as i still would need to watch what i eat or i would quickly rise again

Regardless i am on insulin, and recentlymjad a wrist slapping for missing the odd dose even when levels were ok..

I have 2 dsns that insist i should be classed as type 1 due to the way my body reacts to small doses of insulin, consultant says probably type 2