Hba1c much improved

Larry55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been diagnosed with diabetes for over twelve years but about seven months ago I started low carbing. I had the result of my latest Hba1c yesterday and over the last year have gone from 61 to 51. I have also lost over a stone and reduced my bmi to 26.

I have been taken off 2 of my gliclazide tablets so I am now on one twice a day and I also take 4 metformin. The only problem is that my cholesterol has increased so now have to be careful with certain fats but I feel so much better. I am now looking forward to my next test in August.

Reactions: Japes and billiz

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
my cholesterol has increased

Don't stress about it. Cholesterol is essential for life.. I let my body regulate mine without worrying about the levels.
There are huge holes in the knowledge of how cholesterol works and many threads on the forum about it.
We don't even know properly how much it varies during the day and most recent studies show no correlation between cholesterol levels and CVD except possibly that higher levels in older women can be protective.

billiz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been diagnosed with diabetes for over twelve years but about seven months ago I started low carbing. I had the result of my latest Hba1c yesterday and over the last year have gone from 61 to 51. I have also lost over a stone and reduced my bmi to 26.

I have been taken off 2 of my gliclazide tablets so I am now on one twice a day and I also take 4 metformin. The only problem is that my cholesterol has increased so now have to be careful with certain fats but I feel so much better. I am now looking forward to my next test in August.
Congrats Larry55
Here forum members are great. I was diagnosed in nov 2016 last year Hba1c was 98 stopped med in 3 weeks after discussing with my GP. Feb 2017 Hba1c was 47. Today got my Hba1c 43. Lost 2 stones since nov 2016. Low card diet is magic.

Reactions: Gannet and James13

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I too got my hba1c to 51 on lchf but I wanted to lose weight too which didn't happen alongside I gained palpatations unfortunately.
However I've kept the low carb but incorporated good fats not high fat. Not for dietary ketosis.
I'm losing weight and keeping my bgs in good order.
Weight loss was more my goal due to my huge insulin resistance. Still is.

I'm delighted for anyone who has success in their chosen diet. Well done @Larry55 :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done, that is excellent news. I'm delighted for you. :)

Please don't worry about your cholesterol going up - which part of it has gone up? If it was the HDL that is wonderful. Have you got details of your breakdown? Some people have reported an increase after starting LCHF but then a decrease after that.

Larry55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My Dn was very supportive of LC diets but not so keen on the high fat part of LCHF but I will try not to each too much fat while eating slightly more fat as I am still trying to lose weight.

Reactions: pcs63