HBA1C results

zazoopits

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Latest results from the gp were HBA1C of 51, this is the first one I've had since being diagnosed in January. They didn't test it then so I've no idea whether this is better or worse! Blood sugar 6.2, cholesterol 7.6. I was wondering what the HBA1C result actually means - the GP was as vague as a vague thing! I know the cholesterol is pretty high but actually not worried about it - so many conflicting reports about what the levels should be that I think I'll concentrate on the diabetes and keep low carbing as usual. I'm going to stick with the low carb as I feel so much better, but the thought of having to give up fat just for the sake of lowering cholesterol levels is a difficulty.Would love some advice please!

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats
Hi your HbA1c of 51(6.8%) is not a bad reading, it is about the upper limit for a type 2, you should aim to get it below 6 in the long term Low Carb and exercise will help.
In a nutshell HbA1c is a blood test of your average Blood sugar over the last 9-12 weeks. Normally they should be done every 3 or 6 months.
HbA1c is the most accurate test of your Blood Sugar.
The Blood sugar test of 6.2, is the Glucose in your blood at the time of the test, usually done with a meter and test strip
Happy to help with other queries

Reactions: 2 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
My diabetic nurse told me that a reading if 44 means that you are not diabetic so it's not too bad at all keep it up x

I think that depends - if you have been diabetic and get back to 44 you are still diabetic, just controlled.

Reactions: 4 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
51 mmol/mmol is actually not bad for your 1st HbA1c. Just stick with the program !

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes do keep it up - many of us but our results in our signatures to help encourage. As you can see I went from 91 down to 40. With your continued low carbing I will wait for your next report to be well in the 40s. Excellent progress I am sure even if you have no other earlier results.

seanmorris1

went to see my doctor at the hospital today about my diabetes but hadnt managed to have my blood test so took my blood glucose tester for them to see. i was still a little worried as no matter how hard i try i wasnt getting my glucose count between 5-7 which is what my doctors diabetes nurse had said i needed it to be. you can imagine my confusion when he told me that my count which averages from 9-13 was fantastic he told me that this sort of count is what he would hope my glucose would stay at so asked him about the 5-7 and he told me he would not expect me to have a count below that but if I got into the low 5s then i need to worry sort of thing lol.Because my counts were always up in the double figures i thought i was doing something wrong. I just wish that my nurse at my Docs had fully explained that to me as my hospital Doctor said he would only expect a 5-7 count from someone without Diabetes. So PHEWWWWW all my worries are over lol

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
You got several replies to this statement in a previous post so I won't reiterate them except I would like to quote a previous statement by you from this thread http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/blurred-vision-constantly.57754/#post-538014
I don't drink but still get blurred vision but my sugar levels have never been low as in down to 7 or even 8. My average count is
At 12-14 so I'm sure this is why my eyesight is so badly affected I can't wait to have normal readings and have it under control
Have been like this since I was diagnosed put on metformin and also 7 months ago got put on the Levimar insulin pen but at max
On that now but got hospital on 21st may so hopefully they will introduce a new insulin to supplement what I take in insulin now

So you are on insulin have high levels and blurred vision. What is wrong with this picture? Can I suggest you look seriously at your diet because clearly something isn't right. I am with you DN on the advice.