Type 1 HBA1C

tnwindmill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I have had a letter from my GP asking me to go back for another HBA1C test because my last result was 43mmol/mol. The letter says the recommended target for optimum control of diabetes is 59mmol/mol, this can't be right can it?

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Don't know if the official guidelines have changed but this website quotes 48mmol/mol.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/what-is-hba1c.html

Note that this is a generalised target and your doctor may have reasons for giving you a different figure - perhaps to reduce your risk of hypo's.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I have had a letter from my GP asking me to go back for another HBA1C test because my last result was 43mmol/mol. The letter says the recommended target for optimum control of diabetes is 59mmol/mol, this can't be right can it?

The nice guidelines are for adults with type 1 to target 48 - https://www.nice.org.uk/news/article/stricter-blood-glucose-targets-for-people-with-diabetes

The target is to stay under 48. If a low hba1c is achieved with a lot of hypos, that would be a concern. But if you have good hypo awareness, aren't having problems with lots of hypos or severe hypos then there is no such thing as a hba1c that is too low.

The target will be adjusted for individuals and likely raised if there are problems with hypos.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
GPs and DNs are a bit obsessed with T1s going too low. My DN told me off for having a low HBA1C! They assume your control is bad but if you know what your are doing then keep it as low as you can but avoid hypos.

tnwindmill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks for the reply's, I don't have a problem with hypo's so will speak to my GP to see why he is concerned