Hba1c

James1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Just had my results back and they have went up again, that’s 3 months in a row.
Previous results ware 61,65 and now 66
At my wits end

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
@James1968 What are you eating? What's a typical day like? Blood sugars go up in direct response to the amount of sugars and starches that you eat. You are not new to the forum, so have you looked at Low Carb diets?
Sally

Reactions: KimWheeler

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry can’t do lchf diet not for me

No need to do the high fat bit if that is what bothers you, but every reason in the world to do the low carb bit. Until and unless you reduce your carbs, your HbA1c will continue to climb I'm afraid. Either that or ever increasing medication. Sorry to be so blunt, but I'm afraid what I say is true. It is carbs causing the problems.

James1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
No need to do the high fat bit if that is what bothers you, but every reason in the world to do the low carb bit. Until and unless you reduce your carbs, your HbA1c will continue to climb I'm afraid. Either that or ever increasing medication. Sorry to be so blunt, but I'm afraid what I say is true. It is carbs causing the problems.

Have an appointment with my GP on Thursday so will have see what he has to say

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
@James1968
I saw my GP yesterday to review my most recent bloods tests and after a HbA1c at diagnosis that was sky high at 102 just over 18 months ago it has now dropped to 47 which places me just within the 'pre-diabetic' range. The GP said that it appears that my D is diet controlled due to my adoption of LCHF, has reduced my gliclazide by 50% (she did think about stopping it completely) and will order another bloods test in three months and hopefully be able to stop medication.
All my other test results - lipids and blood pressure etc have shown steady improvements since my adoption of LCHF and are all 'satisfactory' or 'ideal'.
I would suggest that if there are no real medical reasons for at least trying low carb, with or without high fat, it would be worth giving it a go for a few months.

Reactions: Prem51

James1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@James1968
I saw my GP yesterday to review my most recent bloods tests and after a HbA1c at diagnosis that was sky high at 102 just over 18 months ago it has now dropped to 47 which places me just within the 'pre-diabetic' range. The GP said that it appears that my D is diet controlled due to my adoption of LCHF, has reduced my gliclazide by 50% (she did think about stopping it completely) and will order another bloods test in three months and hopefully be able to stop medication.
All my other test results - lipids and blood pressure etc have shown steady improvements since my adoption of LCHF and are all 'satisfactory' or 'ideal'.
I would suggest that if there are no real medical reasons for at least trying low carb, with or without high fat, it would be worth giving it a go for a few months.
I have tried LCHF and it was not for me feeling bloated all the time never off the loo and much more

Sam50

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
From what others have said regarding Metformin it sounds like you have the typical side effects. Have you been taking it long ? Do you take the ordinary or slow release version ? It may be that you cannot tolerate that particular medication.

Metformin does not significantly lower blood glucose in any case. You would see far greater reductions in your numbers by adopting a low carb diet.

Do you have a BG meter to test yourself ? If not I would definitely recommend getting one-Codefree on Amazon at around £12 plus testing strips is probably the cheapest.

why not stop/reduce the Metformin and go low carb for a few weeks and see if you feel better and your BG readings improve ?

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
If I didn't know better that sounds like you're already taking Metformin.

Apologies, somehow I missed the previous comments. In which case I'd suggest that Metformin is giving you the runs not the LC diet. If you do give low carb another go which I think would be worth trying, be very careful of your BG. I was taking Gliclazide before I went low carb and my BG plummeted and I was able to stop taking Gliclazide and Januvia as my BG stayed low. Statins also went out the window after my first test for cholesterol.

I also found that just by cutting out potatoes, rice, pasta and bread I cut my carbs intake down to 40gms a day which worked for me. I later had a c-peptide test which showed that my pancreas was doing OK and my problems were down to insulin resistance. Less carbs also helped with the side effects of Metformin. Nowhere near as severe as previously.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Have an appointment with my GP on Thursday so will have see what he has to say

By all means see your GP but LCHF or just low carb would in all likelihood not do that. Metformin can cause havoc.

Foods (the type you should take) won't

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Just to emphasise - Metformin made me feel really ill. I could not go out of the house unless it was to somewhere I could run to a toilet, and I even had to turn around and come home when I found that the car park next to the toilet block was full /, despite there being alternative spots available.
Without any medication low carb now keeps my readings normal, Hba1c normal - down from 91 at diagnosis.
My doctor didn't mention just how bad it can be, and just how little effect the drugs have. My BG readings did not alter at all when I stopped taking the tablets.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I could not go out of the house unless it was to somewhere I could run to a toilet

I'd like to emphasise the problems caused by Metformin as well. Not going out sounds very familiar, I can honestly say it made me into a recluse, I stopped going anywhere and even stopped going out to work. I wonder if our GPs are aware of the truth. It's like statins in a way. What the medical profession reckon is totally different to the experiences that so many people have. I remember complaining about the Absolute Diarrhea (that's more than chronic or acute) and was told that it was better than the complications of diabetes. Shame my worst experiences never coincided with visits to the GP. He wouldn't have been so clever then.

KimWheeler

I had to come off all Metformin and SR Metformin cos of the explosive bowels. LCHF diet has seen me down to HBA1C of 49, more energy, no sweats and a weight loss without trying. No longer 9 months pregnant looking.. Everyone commenting I'm looking better. As the LCHF diet starts to work you may have a bowel clear out as it's no longer staying in your intestines but then it settles and you will feel so much better. Good luck.