Headaches..

Kerry-Michelle

Hi guys how are you all?

I've got a question about headaches, I've been suffering with them for the past fortnight and they are really bad, I struggle to concentrate on something and they are stop me sleeping sometimes.. I've rang the doctor and spoke to them about it and they said just to take paracetamol which has done nothing to relieve the pain.. I've been taking ibuprofen to try and help, it works for half an hour then I've got my headache back and can't take anymore tablets.. It's such a nightmare and my doctors aren't helping so I was wondering if any of you have had the same or can give me some advice?

Many thanks in advance!

Kerry xx

Sugarman

Hi kerry,
Sorry to read your feeling poorly :( I do suffer from headaches also, usually after a hypo or an extended period of high sugars (over 9). Can last for a few days after but does go away once sugars are stable. If they do persist re visit your gp. Hope your feeling better soon.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Certainly high bg can cause headaches as I use to suffer from them myself in the early years when my bg was up & down all the time, that said Kerry it could be totally unrelated to your diabetes and you should book an appointment with your gp for further investigations.

Dehydration can be a cause of headaches so make sure you keep hydrated.

iHs

Hello Kerry

A few years ago when I was a bit younger, I was also plagued by really bad headaches - the type that make it difficult to turn your head cos of the pain and leads to also being sick. It was nothing to do with diabetes or high bg levels, it was due to 'the time of the month'. Paracetamol did nothing, ibruprofen wasn't strong enough so in the end I went to the GP and they prescribed something a bit more powerful which worked. Until you get to see your doctor, use ibruprofen or another over the counter NSAID and use a pack of frozen peas on your forehead and lie down if you can and wait for the headache to pass.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
iHs said:
Hello Kerry

A few years ago when I was a bit younger, I was also plagued by really bad headaches - the type that make it difficult to turn your head cos of the pain and leads to also being sick. It was nothing to do with diabetes or high bg levels, it was due to 'the time of the month'. Paracetamol did nothing, ibruprofen wasn't strong enough so in the end I went to the GP and they prescribed something a bit more powerful which worked. Until you get to see your doctor, use ibruprofen or another over the counter NSAID and use a pack of frozen peas on your forehead and lie down if you can and wait for the headache to pass.

Snap for all of this. Hormonal migraines plagued me until I got the contraceptive implant! They'd start a fees days before and continue until a few days after. Almost debilitating.

Could be something totally different though. Be sure to see your GP and get things checked out.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Kerry-Michelle said:
Hi guys how are you all?

I've got a question about headaches, I've been suffering with them for the past fortnight and they are really bad, I struggle to concentrate on something and they are stop me sleeping sometimes.. I've rang the doctor and spoke to them about it and they said just to take paracetamol which has done nothing to relieve the pain.. I've been taking ibuprofen to try and help, it works for half an hour then I've got my headache back and can't take anymore tablets.. It's such a nightmare and my doctors aren't helping so I was wondering if any of you have had the same or can give me some advice?

Many thanks in advance!

Kerry xx

Hello Kerry-michelle

I only get bad headaches with one of two things .
Constant high blood sugar levels or after a rotten hypo .

Or if my hypertension high blood pressure goes too high or too low :crazy:

Both of these are scale opposites I know - but it can be a trigger to a bad headache /migraine .

Would it be worth letting your GP know and then he/she can look into it deeper ?
Best to have the peace of mind with this one ...

Bad headaches/migraines are NO joke at all .
They can be difficult to function properly with :problem:

Anna .

Kerry-Michelle

Thanks for all the replies guys.. My levels are normally range between 8-12 I know that may seem high for some of you but my diabetic nurse has said that some people's ranges are different and at this time in my diagnosis this is apparently an okay level to be at.. I've not had any highs or lows recently.. My medicine hasn't changed also its not that 'time of the month' for me and I don't normally get headaches when it is that time.. My boyfriend thinks its stress related but to be honest I don't feel majorly stressed I feel down sometimes but who doesn't after a busy few days ect.. I'm not quite sure what it is.. I'll be on to the doctors again tomorrow!

Thank you all so much again for your replies and advice! It means a lot to hear back from people :) I love this forum! :)

You are all stars!! [WHITE MEDIUM STAR][WHITE MEDIUM STAR][WHITE MEDIUM STAR][WHITE MEDIUM STAR][WHITE MEDIUM STAR][WHITE MEDIUM STAR]

Kerry xx

elaine77

Hi Kerry,

Ever since diagnosis I have been having migraines every so often that are so bad that I am almost in tears! At first I thought it was the diabetes as I do get headaches when I go above 9 mmol but those were just headaches, everytime I've had what I would class as a migraine I have checked my blood and it has been fine with the last one being 5.6mmol in the middle of the migraine which is a great level so I'm thinking these migraines are nothing to do with the diabetes unless the diabetes is not getting along with my contraceptive pill which I've heard can happen...

I'm going to mention it to my DSN next time I see her but I'm worried she might want to change my contraceptive, I will NOT have anything injected or inserted into me and I wouldn't want to not have periods every month either so it doesn't leave me with many options... Looks like the hubby might have to cart himself off for the snip haha

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 22 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.

Kerry-Michelle

elaine77 said:
Hi Kerry,

Ever since diagnosis I have been having migraines every so often that are so bad that I am almost in tears! At first I thought it was the diabetes as I do get headaches when I go above 9 mmol but those were just headaches, everytime I've had what I would class as a migraine I have checked my blood and it has been fine with the last one being 5.6mmol in the middle of the migraine which is a great level so I'm thinking these migraines are nothing to do with the diabetes unless the diabetes is not getting along with my contraceptive pill which I've heard can happen...

I'm going to mention it to my DSN next time I see her but I'm worried she might want to change my contraceptive, I will NOT have anything injected or inserted into me and I wouldn't want to not have periods every month either so it doesn't leave me with many options... Looks like the hubby might have to cart himself off for the snip haha

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 22 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.

Hi Elaine..

I've had the implant and several other contraceptives I didn't get on with the implant it made me gain weight and I'm currently on cerezette and I've been on that for over a year now and haven't had any problems with it.. I can't put my finger on what these headaches are its not my contraceptive, I drink 9 pints of water a day, my blood sugars have been normal and I just can't work out what it is.. The doctors aren't going to get rid of me too easily tomorrow.. :)

Kerry xx

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Kerry .

Would it be possible for you to update us on whatever your GP says tomorrow .
Any news could 'further help' others suffering the same or similar to yourself ...

Headaches persistantly can be very unpleasant at the best of times .
It is even worse when they cant be reasoned or fathomed out - without any rymme or reason !

Hope you can get to the bottom of it all tomorrow :thumbup:

Anna .

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Kerry-Michelle said:
elaine77 said:
Hi Kerry,

Hi Elaine..

I've had the implant and several other contraceptives I didn't get on with the implant it made me gain weight and I'm currently on cerezette and I've been on that for over a year now and haven't had any problems with it.. I can't put my finger on what these headaches are its not my contraceptive, I drink 9 pints of water a day, my blood sugars have been normal and I just can't work out what it is.. The doctors aren't going to get rid of me too easily tomorrow.. :)

Kerry xx

Everyone's contraceptive needs are very different. I was on the pill for 5 years (4 different types) before finally agreeing to the implant. I had chronic weight gain with 1 pill. I would eat dinner as normal and go to bed, then wake up at 2 am so starving that I thought I would pass out or vomit. The hunger pains were incredible! So I had to keep cereal bars by my bed, ridiculous eh! Spent a long time shifting the weight I gained in the 3 months on that. The implant was a big relief once it started. My migraines and headaches reduced dramatically within a month of having it inserted, 18 months later if rather die than give it back!

Fingers crossed for you at the doctors today!

Kerry-Michelle

I've got a little update for you all.. I was on the phone to the doctors for a whole hour this morning.. I demanded to see a doctor regarding the headaches and the telephonist said "can't you just take paracetamol" AGAIN! Urgh some people get on my wick.. So I said "this is what I was told last time I've taken the paracetamol and its done nothing now will you please book me an appointment for today" she passed me through to another person who put me through I my actual doctor who I've seen like twice and I can never get an appointment with her.. She says it could be sinusitis but wants to take a look at me too so I'll be off for my trip to the doctors and I will update you all when I get back :) hopefully this will get sorted! :)

Many thanks to you all again :)

Kerry xxx

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Kerry-Michelle said:
I've got a little update for you all.. I was on the phone to the doctors for a whole hour this morning.. I demanded to see a doctor regarding the headaches and the telephonist said "can't you just take paracetamol" AGAIN! Urgh some people get on my wick.. So I said "this is what I was told last time I've taken the paracetamol and its done nothing now will you please book me an appointment for today" she passed me through to another person who put me through I my actual doctor who I've seen like twice and I can never get an appointment with her.. She says it could be sinusitis but wants to take a look at me too so I'll be off for my trip to the doctors and I will update you all when I get back :) hopefully this will get sorted! :)

Kerry xxx

Glad you're being seen! Good thing about sinusitis is that it's treatable at least :)

Kerry-Michelle

Kerry xxx

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Kerry-Michelle said:
She says it could be sinusitis but wants to take a look at me too so I'll be off for my trip to the doctors and I will update you all when I get back :) hopefully this will get sorted! :)

Just a pity they didn't see you in the first place Kerry and you wouldn't have to suffer for the last 2 weeks, Sinusitis isn't nice so hope you get things sorted!

Kerry-Michelle

Okay guys so I've been to the doctors and I've come back with Codeine Phosphate I'm only aloud to take that at night and that's only 1 tablet because apparently they can cause headaches!?! And I also have a Beconase nasal spray two sprays in each nostril twice a day.. The doctor isn't sure what it is but she "thinks" it's tension headaches as my face and neck hurts too, I told her the face and neck aches have only come on in the past few days an I've had the headaches longer but if they've not gone in a whole MONTH! I'm to go back! Well if I wait a stupid month that will be 6 weeks of having these silly headaches! In my eyes that is wrong to wait that long!?Can't win with the NHS! Sorry if I sound angry I am very upset with them at this! Another thing with the codeine she said really you can take 4 a day but she wants me to take 1 a day as they can cause more headaches.. I've just got back and I've taken one already and I'll be taking one tonight.. As today it is really bad.. Anyway guys sorry to moan and rant.. I guess I'm one step closer to what the pain is... If they've not gone in a few days then I will be back on at the doctors..

Thanks for all the support guys! :)

Kerry xxx

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Kerry,
Sorry to hear you are suffering, hope the new tablets help. They do say regular use of painkillers can cause headaches so your Doc is right to warn you.
Just a thought, are you on any other medication such as statins as they can cause headache.
Regards
Angie