Health question

pam_x_pam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you @nosher8355 and @Brunneria
It does feel good to know what's up and that there is someone out there who is not putting the blame on me and is willing to help me.
I will keep you updated :)

Reactions: 6 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
They r letting me go home.
As for diagnosis is definitely intracranial hypertension. They put me on new drugs which are used to treat epilepsy and seizures. I am going back in 6 weeks for review but in mean time of anything happens ring neurology and come in.
Also I have been told NOT TO follow a low carb high fat diet while I am on these tablets as it is dangerous. He explained why but I cannot explain it myself.
Also advised to get that diabetes confirmed and controlled but with insuline as metformin cannot be taken with the drug they gave me.
And lose weight which I am doing anyways.

I am happy, the neurologist is lovely and he answered all my questions. He also said that undiagnosed and uncontrolled diabetes can make my condition worse so get on it. He gave me his private mobile number in case I have any questions or feel worse before he sees me again.

As for pain he said that my nerve in my back might of get touched during LP as in the middle of it my legs started shaking uncontrollably( I do recall nurse holding my legs but I didn't know why) which could move the needle but it should resolve in couple of days and I have to say it is a bit better today.

Thanks for all the wishes and crossed fingers. Hopefully I am now on right track :)
Great news :)

I'm curious as to which drug they have put you on. I used to take Sodium Valproate for depression and it caused a lot of weight gain, I think by increasing my appetite. It doesn't do this for everyone though. Epilepsy drugs tend to have a lot of side effects, unfortunately. But I am glad you are on a drug that may well help you.

Here is some info about insulin and T2. It's important to get on the right insulin regime to avoid weight gain.
http://www.phlaunt.com/diabetes/15478720.php

Reactions: 2 people

pam_x_pam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
They put me on Topiramate.
One of side effects is weight loss and my neurologist siad that 9 out of his 10 overweight patients lose weight.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
They put me on Topiramate.
One of side effects is weight loss and my neurologist siad that 9 out of his 10 overweight patients lose weight.
That sounds like an excellent choice then. From what I have gleaned over the years this drug can be used for many different conditions and can be quite effective. All my fingers and toes are crossed for you. :)

pam_x_pam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just thought I would update. So I am on the meds for a week now. They did help for my headaches and overall feeling of weak etc. I even hit the gym!
But I think they are starting to affect my mental health. I definitely became more hateful towards myself. I critical towards myself. I started criticized the way I look. Yes I am overweight, obese. I am on diet and I go swimming, and now gym. I am on the diet for 5 month but for past two I havent lost a single pound. I feel like its all my fault. I am terrified that in 6 weeks I will have to explain to my neurologist why I havent lost any weight. It terrifies me, makes me cry. I actually caught myself staring at my own reflection every chance i get. I am seeing my GP on tuesday and I think i will mention this to him as I do have a history of depression and self harm....I dont want to stop the tablets, they are working wonders for my head but all this.... I am not even sure if it is the tablets to be honest.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Just thought I would update. So I am on the meds for a week now. They did help for my headaches and overall feeling of weak etc. I even hit the gym!
But I think they are starting to affect my mental health. I definitely became more hateful towards myself. I critical towards myself. I started criticized the way I look. Yes I am overweight, obese. I am on diet and I go swimming, and now gym. I am on the diet for 5 month but for past two I havent lost a single pound. I feel like its all my fault. I am terrified that in 6 weeks I will have to explain to my neurologist why I havent lost any weight. It terrifies me, makes me cry. I actually caught myself staring at my own reflection every chance i get. I am seeing my GP on tuesday and I think i will mention this to him as I do have a history of depression and self harm....I dont want to stop the tablets, they are working wonders for my head but all this.... I am not even sure if it is the tablets to be honest.
Sorry to hear :( Its good you are seeing your GP as you should raise the issue as mood changes are a possible side effect of this med. If you feel worse before then, please contact your GP or call NHS Direct on 111 for advice. It may be dangerous to stop the tablets suddenly and they can advise you. With side effects generally, often they get better after 2-3 weeks, but it's always hard to know whether they will in a specific case. One solution might be for your doctor to add in another med for your mood, to enable you to keep taking this med.

In the meantime, make a point of not looking in mirrors unless you need to for some reason, and then make it as quick as possible. Use positive self-talk to counteract the negative thoughts. Yes you are currently overweight but that is due to factors beyond your control and you will eventually lose weight. You are doing all the right things. We often reach a plateau with weight loss, and you have had some major issues to cope with in the last 2 months. Congratulations on not gaining weight during that time. If your weight is still the same when you see your neuro I am sure they will understand.

Keep in touch and let us know how you are doing. xx

pam_x_pam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wee update.
Saw my GP today told him about everything. He refereed me to eating disorders clinic and psychiatric doctor I have seen before. Happy out.
Also I have been put on Glucophage 500mg 3 times a day. He was very understanding and lovely about it all and very very supportive. He said he will help any way he can and I can always ring the practice and he will see me even without appointment and try not to worry about the pressure from other doctors. I need time to get use to my conditions and time to lose weight.
As for mood wise, another thing happened. My dog that was bought for me as part of my depression therapy passed away last week. She has been with my parents past 4 years since I moved to college but I saw her a lot. She got very sick 2 weeks ago and they brought her to vet and after loads of blood tests and medication it turned out she had an agressive type of liver cancer and they had to put her down as she was dying at home. My parents and little brother (10 years old) are devastated so am I. I am travelling down to them today. I am heart broken and very very sad.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Wee update.
Saw my GP today told him about everything. He refereed me to eating disorders clinic and psychiatric doctor I have seen before. Happy out.
Also I have been put on Glucophage 500mg 3 times a day. He was very understanding and lovely about it all and very very supportive. He said he will help any way he can and I can always ring the practice and he will see me even without appointment and try not to worry about the pressure from other doctors. I need time to get use to my conditions and time to lose weight.
As for mood wise, another thing happened. My dog that was bought for me as part of my depression therapy passed away last week. She has been with my parents past 4 years since I moved to college but I saw her a lot. She got very sick 2 weeks ago and they brought her to vet and after loads of blood tests and medication it turned out she had an agressive type of liver cancer and they had to put her down as she was dying at home. My parents and little brother (10 years old) are devastated so am I. I am travelling down to them today. I am heart broken and very very sad.
:(

You poor thing, my heart goes out to you. Losing a pet is so very hard. She will stay in your heart forever. Big hugs.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wee update.

I am so sorry, losing a loved pet is more traumatic than many people think.

Be gentle with yourself, for as long as it takes.

And you and your family have my condolences.

pam_x_pam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry guys need to vent.

Back in hospital!!!! Last 4 days have been a nightmare. Keel fainting, very weak. My legs seems to just randomly decide to go weak and I fall. My partner dragged me to GP yesterday and he sent me to hospital and here I am. Head is spinning, even managed to faint in the bathroom yesterday :/
No here is the story..... started off at short stay unit where I fainted and saw a doctor who told me if I feel sick let nurses know and they will call him.
Right after that I got moved to different ward and about hour after I started puking like mad. Told the nurse.... she didn't bother ringing the doctor. Guess she hadn't a clue about the fall..... anyhow... to top it all off... have a wild guess what my breakfast was? A cup of tea with apple and banana. Only thing this hospital serves for breakfast is TOAST (WHITE!!!!) AND PORRIDGE OR CORNFLAKES! both shoot my sugars through the roof... so was given fruit o_O
I am going to waste away here.
Needless to say I puked it right back up... gona say it to the neurology when they come in.
Sorry bit of a rant that probably doesn't make much sense but I just had to let it out.
The "diabetic" breakfast just topped it all

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sorry guys need to vent.

Back in hospital!!!! Last 4 days have been a nightmare. Keel fainting, very weak. My legs seems to just randomly decide to go weak and I fall. My partner dragged me to GP yesterday and he sent me to hospital and here I am. Head is spinning, even managed to faint in the bathroom yesterday :/
No here is the story..... started off at short stay unit where I fainted and saw a doctor who told me if I feel sick let nurses know and they will call him.
Right after that I got moved to different ward and about hour after I started puking like mad. Told the nurse.... she didn't bother ringing the doctor. Guess she hadn't a clue about the fall..... anyhow... to top it all off... have a wild guess what my breakfast was? A cup of tea with apple and banana. Only thing this hospital serves for breakfast is TOAST (WHITE!!!!) AND PORRIDGE OR CORNFLAKES! both shoot my sugars through the roof... so was given fruit o_O
I am going to waste away here.
Needless to say I puked it right back up... gona say it to the neurology when they come in.
Sorry bit of a rant that probably doesn't make much sense but I just had to let it out.
The "diabetic" breakfast just topped it all
Aw, sorry to hear about this. Maybe your partner can bring in some suitable food?

pam_x_pam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm hoping I get to go home before 12 I will be fine till then. If not I just have to wait till lunch as he is away at the conference in Dublin (I am in Sligo 200km away) until 6pm so I won't see him till later. I should be fine

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh Love, is there anyone who can bring you in food parcels?
I suggest, for a very basic diet cold meat or cheese, bags of salad, mayo, coleslaw berries and greek yoghurt or cream.
They shouldn't be able to claim you are eating too unhealthily on that!
From what other people have said, the nurses usually have a fridge, and let patients leave food in there.

Edited: just seen your last post. hope you can get out today! have they given any indication or help to prevent the fainting in future?

pam_x_pam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not till tonight no. But I will stick it out hoping I get to go home. If not I will sneak out to the shop downstairs and get some cheese or yoghurt.

pam_x_pam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Eh back home. had Holter monitor on and was told I have tachycardia. Also they told me I don't have diabetes becouse my A1c was 6.5%.... even tho during my stay my bloods were not less than 10 mmol. Was told to stop metformin. I will in my sh.... useless doctors. Gave me no answer just blamed it on metformin and told me to stop it.

Reactions: 4 people

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Eh back home. had Holter monitor on and was told I have tachycardia. Also they told me I don't have diabetes becouse my A1c was 6.5%.... even tho during my stay my bloods were not less than 10 mmol. Was told to stop metformin. I will in my sh.... useless doctors. Gave me no answer just blamed it on metformin and told me to stop it.
I'd ignore them on the issue of whether you have diabetes... I believe we are still diabetic when our BGs are in the normal range, because if we started eating lots of carbs, they would soon be in the diabetic range.

I'd ask your usual GP about the metformin, as you may still need it, and it may be nothing to do with the tachycardia. Presumably these doctors were neurologists not endocrinologists or cardiologists? If so, then they were working outside their scope of practice.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I understand your annoyance with breakfast.....

I'm going in 19th or 20th for a planned op and already told they can't cope with my eating and my hubby should bring in my food.

I know the hell of unplanned admissions too..pure hell....

Emergency admissions especially over weekends won't give you answers I'm afraid...

pam_x_pam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'd ignore them on the issue of whether you have diabetes... I believe we are still diabetic when our BGs are in the normal range, because if we started eating lots of carbs, they would soon be in the diabetic range.

I'd ask your usual GP about the metformin, as you may still need it, and it may be nothing to do with the tachycardia. Presumably these doctors were neurologists not endocrinologists or cardiologists? If so, then they were working outside their scope of practice.
Not even neurologist... just plain medical doctor

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not even neurologist... just plain medical doctor
Like, a general medical registrar? They should leave decisions like this to your GP. Did you have any cardiac tests? I don't know enough about this area, but if there are certain tests you need to have to investigate tachycardia then I hope you get them. If I were you I'd want to know for sure what was causing it and what the prognosis was. I guess the next step is discussing it with your GP and maybe having tests and/or seeing a cardiologist.

pam_x_pam

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Like, a general medical registrar? They should leave decisions like this to your GP. Did you have any cardiac tests? I don't know enough about this area, but if there are certain tests you need to have to investigate tachycardia then I hope you get them. If I were you I'd want to know for sure what was causing it and what the prognosis was. I guess the next step is discussing it with your GP and maybe having tests and/or seeing a cardiologist.
I had a Holter monitor for 72h and some bloods done. My cholesterol is pretty low. Both my LDL and HDL are way below the range like 0.2 and 0.1 respectively (I can't remember units but they were marked red and the range was beside it starting with like 1.6 and up for both)
You a plain general medical registrar. I have neurology appointment in 2-3 weeks so she didn't even bother calling my neurologist. She made a decision herself to took me of my neurology meds and I refused cos that's wasn't an answer as it would just cause massive headaches and worsen the dizziness. So as I refused she sent me home saying see ur neurologist when u get the appointment knowing it could be 3 weeks. My fiancé was there and he told her if anything happens to me in mean time it's on her.