Heavy cold; no appetite

LionChild

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whisky
I found it really difficult to eat my lunch today because I've felt so unwell with this cold. Would it be okay regarding blood glucose... if I just skipped the evening meal tonight ...because I really don't feel like eating anything?

Nicola M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was always told to try to eat a little bit of something if I was ever sick and if I couldn't then some kind of sugary drink would also help. I don't think it'll necessarily do much harm if you skip one meal, as long as you're checking your sugars and ketones and drinking plenty of water to make sure everything is ok on the diabetes side of things.

If it were me I would try to eat a little bit of something like a plain piece of toast, plain crackers, banana, soup etc, even if it is a small amount. Your body needs energy to be able to fight the illness and food will help with that. I Hope you feel better soon!

Reactions: LionChild

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

LionChild

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whisky
Well, I did wonder about whether it was covid , but I really haven't been with other people recently... so it's hard to think that's what it is...?
But I have not been sleeping very well at all the last few nights especially, and I thought it might just be that my immune system has gone low...?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I found it really difficult to eat my lunch today because I've felt so unwell with this cold. Would it be okay regarding blood glucose... if I just skipped the evening meal tonight ...because I really don't feel like eating anything?
How are your blood sugars?
If your basal is correct there is no need to eat really, unless you go low.

Do you adjust you mealtime insulin based on the carbs you eat or are you on fixed doses?

Any illness can make your blood glucose go up, so it may be you need correction doses even if not eating. Are you confident in doing those?

• Agree
Reactions: SimonP78 and EllieM

LionChild

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
whisky
My neighbour who is also type 1 diabetic has given me a compact protein drink which he says he normally takes four units for .....I've also had 1 unit on top of that because yes at the moment my bg is rather high tonight....for example at 21.50, it was 8.9 and that is high for me..
Since my diagnosis for type 1 diabetes in 2019, I have not been ill in any sense.... so this is new territory for me.
I remember reading something about 1 unit of Nova rapid can bring down glucose by three millimols?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
hypos and forum bugs
My neighbour who is also type 1 diabetic has given me a compact protein drink which he says he normally takes four units for .....I've also had 1 unit on top of that because yes at the moment my bg is rather high tonight....for example at 21.50, it was 8.9 and that is high for me..
Since my diagnosis for type 1 diabetes in 2019, I have not been ill in any sense.... so this is new territory for me.
I remember reading something about 1 unit of Nova rapid can bring down glucose by three millimols?
Everyone's dosing needs are completely different so you can't base your dosing on what your neighbour takes.

Are you able to test for ketones should your blood sugars go higher?

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
personally if I havre a cold or infection my appetite is first thing to be affected , I don’t try and force myself to eat, I just make sure I’m hydrated and tend to check sugars . I find my body tells me to eat and when and with the Bolus/ Basel regime it’s a lot easier to do than in days of yore ( cue the mandolin playing cockerel)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I find if I'm under the weather my BG tends to run high even if I'm not eating properly. It was explained to me that the body releases stores of glucose to give us the energy to fight whatever is working on us. The advice I was given was to closely monitor the BG, dose for carbs plus correction doses as required.

And I agree with EllieM - don't follow anyone else's dosing regime - read the nutritional info on the protein shake and dose according to your ratios.