Hello, I'm Jason. And I'm a diabetic...

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Classic intro there, hope you don't mind.

I'm a 29 year old male. I have been a diagnosed Type 1 diabetic for just over four years and this is the first time I have ever seriously considered reaching out to other Type One diabetics, via a forum or any other medium. The reason for it is that I had a particularly nasty hypo about three months ago. If it wasn't for the kindness of passing strangers, I would have been an ambulance job.

Essentially, it has scared me.

Just had my HbA1c back and it's 8.2%, this needs improvement and I'm very keen for advice, tips and experiences. But I am very worried about developing a fear of hypos and allowing my diabetes to control me; I don't believe I am there yet but I don't think I am that far off either...

Last edited by a moderator:

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi welcome to the forum :) Sorry I can't help you as I'm type 2, I just wanted to say Hello. I'm sure some knowledgeable type 1's will be along soon.:)

Reactions: 3 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome.

I'm also a Type 2 so can't help, but there are many Type 1's on here who may be along soon with some advice.

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello. I'm Emma, also 29 only diagnosed type1 5 months ago.
This forum has helped me manage and stay positive, and put to rest any fears I have :)
Sorry to hear about ur hypo, must be scary. Did u feel any symptoms or did it just happen suddenly?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello. I'm Emma, also 29 only diagnosed type1 5 months ago.
This forum has helped me manage and stay positive, and put to rest any fears I have :)
Sorry to hear about ur hypo, must be scary. Did u feel any symptoms or did it just happen suddenly?

Hi Emma,

Actually, my warning symptoms are pretty sharp but this was an awful one, I literally couldn't see straight and my eyes wouldn't focus, I was shaking like a leaf and knew I was going to fall over. You're aware of things but it's slightly out of body, the people who helped me were brilliant. But this hypo took my by surprise and foolishly I didn't have my Dextro tablets with me.

As you're newly diagnosed, and if your experience is similar to mine, you'll have a good warning sense about when you're about to have a hypo. Shaky, can't concentrate, feel ill, feel cold but also sweaty at the same time. Pop some Dextro tablets, and in about 10 mins I tend be OK.

I can see this forum really helping.

How are you coping?

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
O
Hi Emma,

Actually, my warning symptoms are pretty sharp but this was an awful one, I literally couldn't see straight and my eyes wouldn't focus, I was shaking like a leaf and knew I was going to fall over. You're aware of things but it's slightly out of body, the people who helped me were brilliant. But this hypo took my by surprise and foolishly I didn't have my Dextro tablets with me.

As you're newly diagnosed, and if your experience is similar to mine, you'll have a good warning sense about when you're about to have a hypo. Shaky, can't concentrate, feel ill, feel cold but also sweaty at the same time. Pop some Dextro tablets, and in about 10 mins I tend be OK.

I can see this forum really helping.

How are you coping?
ooh not good. I'm pretty good about having sugar on me but I have forgotten a couple of times, but been lucky. It's easily done. Have u still got ur hypo awareness now?

I'm coping ok thanks, this forums been amazing actually. I'm still learning all the time. Sometimes I go off track and have to pull myself back on, when I try I can manage my levels, but will power (lack of) is my downfall

Charles Robin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Jason, welcome to the forum. I am 27, and have been type 1 since 1990. What I am going to suggest may not resonate immediately with you, but do check out the resources I list. Worst case scenario you spend a few days researching this and decide it's not for you. So, with that disclaimer out the way, here is a wonderful solution to managing diabetes, which slashes the risk of complications, and helps maintain brilliant blood sugar levels: a low carbohydrate diet. It sounds counter intuitive; you are worried about hypos, so you cut out the main thing that raises your blood sugars. Well, I have been following this way of eating for almost a year, and my hypos are a tiny fraction of what they used to be. My last HBA1C was 39, which is 5.7 in old money. Check out this video, and see what you think. Low carb really is the best thing I have ever done relating to food.

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello and welcome to the forum. I have had some scary moments too, I think most of us are in agreement that we rule diabetes and it doesn't rule us. It's probably just a case of making some tweaking adjustments and giving the big D a kick up the behind from time to time.;)

Good luck

Best wishes RRB :)

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Jason, welcome to the forum. I am 27, and have been type 1 since 1990. What I am going to suggest may not resonate immediately with you, but do check out the resources I list. Worst case scenario you spend a few days researching this and decide it's not for you. So, with that disclaimer out the way, here is a wonderful solution to managing diabetes, which slashes the risk of complications, and helps maintain brilliant blood sugar levels: a low carbohydrate diet. It sounds counter intuitive; you are worried about hypos, so you cut out the main thing that raises your blood sugars. Well, I have been following this way of eating for almost a year, and my hypos are a tiny fraction of what they used to be. My last HBA1C was 39, which is 5.7 in old money. Check out this video, and see what you think. Low carb really is the best thing I have ever done relating to food.

Thanks Charles, I shall look into that when I get home this evening.

I guess, I'm a little frustrated because I used to be a bit of a gourmet, as well as a gourmand!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello and welcome to the forum. I have had some scary moments too, I think most of us are in agreement that we rule diabetes and it doesn't rule us. It's probably just a case of making some tweaking adjustments and giving the big D a kick up the behind from time to time.;)

Good luck

Best wishes RRB :)

**** right, thanks.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
O

ooh not good. I'm pretty good about having sugar on me but I have forgotten a couple of times, but been lucky. It's easily done. Have u still got ur hypo awareness now?

I'm coping ok thanks, this forums been amazing actually. I'm still learning all the time. Sometimes I go off track and have to pull myself back on, when I try I can manage my levels, but will power (lack of) is my downfall

Yep, still got the awareness which sometimes can be very precise.

Early morning is where I find I need to be perhaps more vigilant, because of the 'dawn phenomenon' whereby blood glucose seems to be abnormally high after roughly a normal nights sleep.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Jason and welcome to the forum.

Hypo's can be scary experiences and it's the one good reason why we need to keep them to the minimum. There's a couple of things I would suggest to get your bg under control.

If you've not been on a carb counting course such as DAFNE then I highly recommend that you get your name down for the next available course, you can do this through your DSN, the following is an on-line carb counting course similar to DAFNE and by all accounts it's very good:

http://www.bdec-e-learning.com/

Also, a good read on controlling type 1 diabetes is a book called Think Like a Pancreas by Gary Scheiner, it comes highly recommended in the Diabetes On-line Community and has helped many of us get a better understanding of this condition, you can normally pick the book up on the likes of Amazon for around £10.

Reactions: 6 people

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Check out this video, and see what you think. Low carb really is the best thing I have ever done relating to food.
Charles, What a fantastic video. I just listened to it while on my Daily Ex. I know this now after a painful three months and it's what I follow, but what a fantastic statement of it for new Dxs, or for people like spouses who need to understand. Brilliantly put together. Thank you! I'll be forwarding that all over the shop now. :)

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I guess, I'm a little frustrated because I used to be a bit of a gourmet, as well as a gourmand!
Yes, but think of the delights of cooking veg (not to mention meat/game/fowl) in store for a gourmand! I've always loved veg.

The only really tough situation I've faced recently was when I made the family an apple crumble from our windfalls. I REALLY wanted some of that. I had a teaspoon :-(

sunshine84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Jason,
I've had T1 diabetes since I was 14 and I'm 30 now. I've never been horribly out of control but like you my HBA1c started to hover around the 8%. I decided to try the low carb thing after reading lots about it on this forum. It really has been the best thing for my blood sugars. I am a massive foodie and love cooking, if anyone had said to me a year ago I would be without carbs I would have laughed at them but I'm not finding it nearly as difficult as I thought I would.
I also read Dr Bernstein's book which is quite extreme in eating plan advice but unbelievably informative!! I learned more from that than I have done at any hospital appointment.
Good luck!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Jason,
I've had T1 diabetes since I was 14 and I'm 30 now. I've never been horribly out of control but like you my HBA1c started to hover around the 8%. I decided to try the low carb thing after reading lots about it on this forum. It really has been the best thing for my blood sugars. I am a massive foodie and love cooking, if anyone had said to me a year ago I would be without carbs I would have laughed at them but I'm not finding it nearly as difficult as I thought I would.
I also read Dr Bernstein's book which is quite extreme in eating plan advice but unbelievably informative!! I learned more from that than I have done at any hospital appointment.
Good luck!

Thanks, my concern would be that I would run the risk of losing weight, which I am not keen to do. Have seen a correlation on that?

sunshine84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I think that can be the case. I have lost some weight on it but not huge amounts. If you do try low carb, make sure you add plenty of fat to your diet. Lots of people on here follow a low GI diet which allows some carbs, I dont know as much about that but there's loads of info on it.
I didnt do the Dafne course but understanding your carb to insulin ratio is important regardless of your eating plan. I managed to figure mine out through info from my hospital team, the internet and books. Once you get this, you'll be able to take the correct amount of insulin without the worry of extreme hypos.
I would say it's definitely about finding what is best for you, everybody is different and has different needs.

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
And you have to find something that is sustainable - as this is for life - hey ho :)

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Look around on the not losing weight subject. Lo-carbers will say, eat lots of fat. I have to get about 80% of my energy intake from fat.

Anti-lo carbers (it's political) will say, Nonsense.

Have a look at Jenny Ruhl's nutritional calculator, which a kind @Brunneria pointed out to me. It helped me a lot.

http://www.phlaunt.com/lowcarb/DietMakeupCalc.php

Her book which I thoroughly recommend is: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0964711656/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1414495054&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40 She's an extreme realist, and she herself points out what LCHF does NOT do. A very balanced and exceptionally serious book.