Hello, I'm new here

emmatree

hello to everyone,

I have been enjoying the support and good sense on this site in the past few weeks, and have finally decided to take the plunge and join in the hope that it will drag me out of denial, and into getting my life sorted out! Have been type 2 for about 4 years after initially having gestational diabetes some 6 years ago. BUT, have never treated it with the proper respect and have had my head firmly stuck in the sand since then. I am good about taking my 2x 1000 SR metformin but have a lousy diet, most of the time. Have a strange secret compulsive chocolate/junk eating habit that I simply CANNOT get to grips with, and am hitting 40 this year and am wholeheartedly FED up with myself.
I want to sort myself out and am trying to gear myself up for the low carb diet frequently mentioned here that seems so sensible and successful for people. I don't know how this would fit in with family life though, I am desperate to set a good example for my son, which is part of why I think i eat in secret(?) Also, think with the big 40 looming and the denial, I may be depressed a bit BUT am not keen to talk to my doc, as I'm frightened that I'll end up on insulin and I don't want to, as the main highlight of our lives by far is travel/holidays and I can't face the thought of not getting travel insurance, and also, have never found my GP particularly helpful/understanding, and have never told anyone about my secret eating, although i am about 4 stone overweight so it's gotta be kind of obvious(?!)
Anyway, it feels nice to get it down in writing and I'm hoping to find some moral support and comfort here while I try and get this turned around,

Thanks x

A

Anonymous

Hi Emma, and welcome.

I am newly diagnosed and started low carbing a week ago last Monday. Not one blood test has been over normal for a week, and I only got my monitor a week ago yesterday.

I live with my two teenage children, and try to cook us all the same, except they get spuds, and I get HUGE salads. I can`t say it`s causing a problem so far.

Lots of really good advice is bound to follow my newbie ramblings.

Grazer

Hi emmatree and welcome! You'll get loads of good diet ideas on here. Look at Whitbyjet's chocolate posts on the low carb forum and you'll see you don't have to give scrummy treats up. I won't bore you with things you need to eat and not eat, because it sounds as if you know; you just need to do it. Do you test? If not, it will be worth the cost so you can see how a diet change quickly gets your levels down. Good luck.

SandrafromOZ

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
DIABETES, All forms of cancer, Jealousy, arrogance
Hi Emmatree!
I am new at this as only diagnosed this week. I also had Gestational diabetes 10 years ago with my third child. I ignored alot of the warnings and here I am Type 2 after suffering from recurrent thrush for the last year. I am 43 and trying to come to terms with this diagnosis.
It is such a wonderful forum that I am so glad I have found.
Take care
Sandra