Hello in need of support. I'm newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and have binge eating disorder

emlet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I'm in melt down today. I'm so frightened of having type 2, its triggering my panic disorder. I'v not eaten chocolate for 2 months but still binge eat late at night. Would appreciate support thank you

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @emlet :)

It makes sense that any diagnosis like diabetes is going to cause stress. But please know that the future is bright :) There are plenty of Type 2s here living great lives and coping very well.

Is it chocolate in particular that you binge on or do you eat anything when you feel like that?

There are threads about binge eating on the forum. You're not alone.

Can you explain a little more about your fears? You mentioned panic disorder. Are you getting any help with that?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I'm in melt down today. I'm so frightened of having type 2, its triggering my panic disorder. I'v not eaten chocolate for 2 months but still binge eat late at night. Would appreciate support thank you

Hello there Emlet. I'm sorry you're finding things difficult.

I don't have an eating disorder, but I did suffer from one some years ago, so I do appreciate how all consuming that can be, never mind with T2 stirred into the mix.

Just to touch upon your fear of Diabetes; I can honestly say you are not alone. I think anyone being brutally honest would admit to sharing similar fears in the early days of their diagnosis.

Looking back through your posting history, I note your HbA1c score at diagnosis was 53. Yes, that is diabetic, but it's not an outrageously high number. At diagnosis 3 years ago, my diagnostic HbA1c was 88, and there arer many who are considerably higher than that. That's not to suggest you are making a fuss, but to suggest where you are in the scheme of things, in terms of the diagnostic threshold of 48.

Yes, I was diagnosed at 88, and have managed to improve my lot immensely. In fact, I am no longer considered to be diabetic by my Doctor, and like you, I didn't ever take any medication.

The tricky bit for you is your eating disorder being in the mix. It would be foolhardy not to acknowledge it, as I can see from your posts that it is of great concern to you. Do you receive any help or support with this?

You have done really well to stay away from chocolate for a couple of months. What other things are you trying to do to improve your lot, or are you just feeling too overwhelmed to embrace any further changes at the moment?

Whilst lots of people on here made big changes all at once, I think in terms of managing those overwhelming feelings it could be more useful to you to take smaller steps in managing this, so that you have successes along the way. Your avoidance of chocolate is a great success, and you should be proud of it. I'm just wondering what you might be able to consider doing now.

Whatever you do, don't panic (easier said than done), as that doesn't help anything and can act as a brake. Smaller steps are the way to edge forward, I think.

Reactions: bkr

emlet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @emlet :)

It makes sense that any diagnosis like diabetes is going to cause stress. But please know that the future is bright :) There are plenty of Type 2s here living great lives and coping very well.

Is it chocolate in particular that you binge on or do you eat anything when you feel like that?

There are threads about binge eating on the forum. You're not alone.

Can you explain a little more about your fears? You mentioned panic disorder. Are you getting any help with that?
Hey I'v found you! (I think) thank you for replying. I will eat anything. At mo it's peanut butter and revita! I'm frightened of losing my limbs as been program on tv resently about it. My doc mentioned maybe to go on statins for heart, so now I'm panicking I'm gonna have heart attack.....I do have support, i have care co ordinator and support workers as agraphobic too

Reactions: Prem51

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, I'm here :) It's good you have support. I hope you can get a little extra help to deal with your diagnosis.

It may be that the Type 2 and slightly high blood sugar is contributing to the binging as it can make you hungry. So if you can control your blood sugar, that might help - as well as showing you that you can beat the diabetes.

Have you tried things like planning your day's food so you know exactly what you're eating and don't leave too long between meals?

Many Type 2s find cutting the carbs can help with any hunger.

Reactions: Prem51

emlet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello there Emlet. I'm sorry you're finding things difficult.

I don't have an eating disorder, but I did suffer from one some years ago, so I do appreciate how all consuming that can be, never mind with T2 stirred into the mix.

Just to touch upon your fear of Diabetes; I can honestly say you are not alone. I think anyone being brutally honest would admit to sharing similar fears in the early days of their diagnosis.

Looking back through your posting history, I note your HbA1c score at diagnosis was 53. Yes, that is diabetic, but it's not an outrageously high number. At diagnosis 3 years ago, my diagnostic HbA1c was 88, and there arer many who are considerably higher than that. That's not to suggest you are making a fuss, but to suggest where you are in the scheme of things, in terms of the diagnostic threshold of 48.

Yes, I was diagnosed at 88, and have managed to improve my lot immensely. In fact, I am no longer considered to be diabetic by my Doctor, and like you, I didn't ever take any medication.

The tricky bit for you is your eating disorder being in the mix. It would be foolhardy not to acknowledge it, as I can see from your posts that it is of great concern to you. Do you receive any help or support with this?

You have done really well to stay away from chocolate for a couple of months. What other things are you trying to do to improve your lot, or are you just feeling too overwhelmed to embrace any further changes at the moment?

Whilst lots of people on here made big changes all at once, I think in terms of managing those overwhelming feelings it could be more useful to you to take smaller steps in managing this, so that you have successes along the way. Your avoidance of chocolate is a great success, and you should be proud of it. I'm just wondering what you might be able to consider doing now.

Whatever you do, don't panic (easier said than done), as that doesn't help anything and can act as a brake. Smaller steps are the way to edge forward, I think.
Thank you!

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Hi @emlet I was diagnosed at 134! My blood was practically sugar. But if you check the graph you can see that after 3 months the drop was significant and after 6, within the normal range (really looking forward to my next HbA1C in 3 weeks) - from your starting point you will almost surely get superb control. The key is try to get to the bottom of why you are bingeing, could you perhaps talk to your Doctor who may refer you for talking therapy? And I would encourage you to embrace the low carb high fat lifestyle, it resolves many health issues. I was sceptical when I was 92 kg and an exercise fanatic that this would sustain me, but the good fats have amazing properties for feeling full:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/lowcarb/?utm_source=hp&utm_medium=dd&utm_campaign=lcp
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

Since following the above I have lost 5 kg, train just as hard and feel full on 3 meals a day (sometimes I almost have to force the 3rd meal). My final tips if you do follow LCHF, is to try and finish your meal by 18:00 / 19:00 and drink water between meals. Whilst we are all different many people who follow LCHF would struggle to eat more after the event.

Reactions: Prem51 and azure

emlet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you!
Hi sorry just spoke to my doctor on phone, hence short response. Yes I'm gonna have to break down into small bits.....I'm dealing with so much regardless of type 2. My eating habits dreadful...yr right I need to do meal plan. I'm panicking about being put on statins...my doctor just said that would be the only action to consider at this stage but I don't really want to go on them. I guess if was really necessary she would be firmer on that issue...we have left it that I be checked with sugar levels 22nd of this month. She was pleased I have lost 8lbs but I feel not good enough. Sorry if I sound all over the place, I have chronic anxiety. Thank you for support....she did say my cholesterol levels neither great or bad

emlet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @emlet I was diagnosed at 134! My blood was practically sugar. But if you check the graph you can see that after 3 months the drop was significant and after 6, within the normal range (really looking forward to my next HbA1C in 3 weeks) - from your starting point you will almost surely get superb control. The key is try to get to the bottom of why you are bingeing, could you perhaps talk to your Doctor who may refer you for talking therapy? And I would encourage you to embrace the low carb high fat lifestyle, it resolves many health issues. I was sceptical when I was 92 kg and an exercise fanatic that this would sustain me, but the good fats have amazing properties for feeling full:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/lowcarb/?utm_source=hp&utm_medium=dd&utm_campaign=lcp
https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb

Since following the above I have lost 5 kg, train just as hard and feel full on 3 meals a day (sometimes I almost have to force the 3rd meal). My final tips if you do follow LCHF, is to try and finish your meal by 18:00 / 19:00 and drink water between meals. Whilst we are all different many people who follow LCHF would struggle to eat more after the event.
Hey thank you mbaker I do have talkin therapy. Your feedback encouraging.....I really would love to not eat after 6 or 7 but I use food before sleep as a sedative to sleep. I know it's bad but I'm out of control. I suffer with several mental health problems and am lucky to have good support. I have been tryin low carb.....I'm in a space of self punishment at mo. I'v stopped chocolate and now it's peanut butter and rivita

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
Hi @emlet, and welcome.

You don't have to take the statins if you don't want to. At diagnosis my HbA1c was slightly higher than yours. I was offered statins too because my cholesterol was only slightly raised. I turned them down as I wanted to see if the low-carb, high-fat diet I am now following (and enjoying!) would reduce the levels. The thing is with statins is that the side effects aren't all that great and may make you feel even worse! It seems to be doctors' knee-jerk reaction to prescribe them to everyone with diabetes whether their cholesterol is raised or not.

As to the binge-eating, I was a binge eater myself, which certainly didn't help when I'd obviously been insulin resistant for many years. The beauty of the low-carb, high-fat diet is that you can eat lots of lovely things (so long as they're not carby), you feel fuller and more satisfied. These days I eat only what my body needs, which is a fraction of what I used to eat.

I suffer from depression and anxiety too. Following diagnosis I had a lot of sleepless nights and often felt overwhelmed, and felt I'd deserved what I got because of all the binging. That's stinking thinking. It's NOT YOUR FAULT. No one is really sure why we get Type 2 diabetes; sometimes it's genetic, sometimes it may be environmental.

This feeling will pass once you feel you've got some control back. If you haven't got one already, or your doc won't give you one, get yourself a blood glucose meter. Test before and after every meal (two hours after the first bite), first thing in the morning (fasting reading) and last thing at night.

You will get some scary readings at first, but the longer you eat low-carb, go for a walk at least once a day if you can, the numbers start to come down, and that feels reassuring. Experiment with foods - some may make your blood glucose soar, others may not. The walking may also help with the anxiety and help you sleep better.

A lot of us on the site use this meter: https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/codefree-blood-glucose-monitoring-system-mmoll-or-mgdl/ as the test strips for it are far cheaper and the meter's pretty good.

Post on these forums as much as you want - whether you have questions, want to share a success, or whether you need to vent. We've all been where you are now.

Hugs.

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
Hey thank you mbaker I do have talkin therapy. Your feedback encouraging.....I really would love to not eat after 6 or 7 but I use food before sleep as a sedative to sleep. I know it's bad but I'm out of control. I suffer with several mental health problems and am lucky to have good support. I have been tryin low carb.....I'm in a space of self punishment at mo. I'v stopped chocolate and now it's peanut butter and rivita
You will find a lot of support here and its great you have formal support. You are fighting well, so a step at a time to reach your goals. Whilst not the same, many on this site have challenges, I find reading the other forums inspiring and helps to harden resolve.

Sauron

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Morons
Welcome to this great forum and I hope like me you find the help you need