Type 2 Hello - Just signed up - Newly Diagnosed - A few Questions

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll be sticking to the Poached eggs on toast breakfast in future, although I really miss the vegetarian 'full breakfast' (2 Poached eggs, 2 Veggy Sausages, Fried Tomatoes & Mushrooms) I used to cook every day

Why can't you have this? Nothing wrong at all with fried eggs, fried tomato, fried mushrooms. It is a staple breakfast for us. You would have to check the carb content on the veggie sausages and the sauces - probably best to leave out the sauces and only have one sausage.

As for toast - that isn't normally a very good choice. Bread is high carb. There are low carb alternatives such as Burgen bread (sold in most supermarkets) and especially Lidl high protein rolls as they are delicious toasted with butter on, freeze well (slice them in half first) and are less than 10g carbs per roll.

Use your measuring cups - or even a ladle spoon, to judge your portion sizes. This will help you to know by how much you need to reduce the portion.

There are normally no carbs in oils and fats. They do not affect blood sugars. However, you may wish to change your sunflower oil to a healthier choice. Olive oil or rapeseed oil are better.

Bob-111

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cucumber, Olives and Racism.
Why can't you have this? Nothing wrong at all with fried eggs, fried tomato, fried mushrooms. It is a staple breakfast for us. You would have to check the carb content on the veggie sausages and the sauces - probably best to leave out the sauces and only have one sausage.

As for toast - that isn't normally a very good choice. Bread is high carb. There are low carb alternatives such as Burgen bread (sold in most supermarkets) and especially Lidl high protein rolls as they are delicious toasted with butter on, freeze well (slice them in half first) and are less than 10g carbs per roll.

Use your measuring cups - or even a ladle spoon, to judge your portion sizes. This will help you to know by how much you need to reduce the portion.

There are normally no carbs in oils and fats. They do not affect blood sugars. However, you may wish to change your sunflower oil to a healthier choice. Olive oil or rapeseed oil are better.

Hi,
Thanks for the quick reply.
I use Rapeseed oil for pan frying, the spray Sunflower Oil for coating fish for baking in the oven. I stopped frying eggs a long time ago but the Sausages are Cauldron's Cumberland Vegetarian and the carb & sugar content for 2 sausages are: 6.3g and 1.0g respectively. I didn't think that was particularly high.

Bob.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
Thanks for the quick reply.
I use Rapeseed oil for pan frying, the spray Sunflower Oil for coating fish for baking in the oven. I stopped frying eggs a long time ago but the Sausages are Cauldron's Cumberland Vegetarian and the carb & sugar content for 2 sausages are: 6.3g and 1.0g respectively. I didn't think that was particularly high.

Bob.

Those sausages look fine to me. Have two! Could you swap the sunflower oil for butter for coating the fish. It's much better for you. Have a lovely fried breakfast whenever you want, just check the sauces.

Bob-111

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi,
Ok, I've ditched the last two slices of the expensive Rye Bread, as one slice with the fish/salad meal shot my levels up from the 4.6 to 11.1!

It was the only suspect on the plate!

How much carbs (g) should I be limiting myself to per meal?
Bearing in mind, up until now, I have a fairly sedentary lifestyle, although I'm trying to change that. Can't rush with the mobility problems but with lots of 'small moves' I'll get there.

Thanks.

Reactions: Prem51

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
Ok, I've ditched the last two slices of the expensive Rye Bread, as one slice with the fish/salad meal shot my levels up from the 4.6 to 11.1!

It was the only suspect on the plate!

How much carbs (g) should I be limiting myself to per meal?
Bearing in mind, up until now, I have a fairly sedentary lifestyle, although I'm trying to change that. Can't rush with the mobility problems but with lots of 'small moves' I'll get there.

Thanks.

That is a huge rise for one slice of bread! How many grams of carbs in that slice? What else was in your salad? There is a possibility one or both of these tests were rogue ones (strip malfunction, meter inaccuracy, human error). It happens. Record what you found and the food, and move on.

As for number of grams of carbs, we can't tell you because each of us has different tolerance levels. Only your meter can tell you by regular testing and reducing portion sizes if you get a high rise until you no longer get a high rise!

Bob-111

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
That is a huge rise for one slice of bread! How many grams of carbs in that slice? What else was in your salad? There is a possibility one or both of these tests were rogue ones (strip malfunction, meter inaccuracy, human error). It happens. Record what you found and the food, and move on.

As for number of grams of carbs, we can't tell you because each of us has different tolerance levels. Only your meter can tell you by regular testing and reducing portion sizes if you get a high rise until you no longer get a high rise!

Hi,
There was a fillet of haddock baked in a spray of Sunflower Oil with butter. The rest of the dish was a leafy salad with a light Balsamic/Olive Oil dressing.

The Bread was Biona Organic Rye and Pumpkin Seed it has 30g of Carb/100g and 2.2g sugars. The loaf was 500g and had only 6 slices.

I chose this when I was concentrating on eliminating sugar.

Thanks.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi again @Bob-111

Well, thank goodness you tested and saw for yourself what all those carbs did to your levels - about 25g per slice, plus whatever was in your leafy green salad.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Balsamic vinegar can have sugars - sometimes rather a lot. I use wine vinegars for salad dressings.

Bob-111

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi again @Bob-111

Well, thank goodness you tested and saw for yourself what all those carbs did to your levels - about 25g per slice, plus whatever was in your leafy green salad.

Yes, wont be buying that ever again! I wouldn't think the salad would have much in the way of carbs though.
But maybe I'm wrong about that too! LOL!

Kind Regards,

Bob.

Reactions: Prem51