Hello.

Dodge

I would just like to say Thank You to Dennis, (and to all of you) what a revelation!!!

I have gained more relevant information here regarding Carbs and reading food labels than I thought possible.

I've been T2 for a number of years now, and been on the Complex Carbs Regime, trying to control portion size, and choosing low sugar foods from the labels (Yep! That’s me you see in Tesco’s, Sainsbury’s and Asda, squinting at the labels) I have been following your suggestions for 10 consecutive days now, my BS has averaged 5.3 with the highest being 7.3 (Birdseye Fish and half a dozen Aunt Bessie chips, as a control to see the effect) and I’ve lost 2lbs.

To my shame I happened on this Forum by accident, trying to find if was a good option to buy an Easiyo Yogurt Maker, and make it myself rather than using the sachets, as far less expensive, and allegedly it lasts up to 2 weeks in the fridge.
The recipe for this seems to be UHT Milk, a couple of spoons of Probiotic (live) Yogurt, and (up to 4 tablespoons) Dried Milk Powder to thicken it and then add a little sweetener if required. The Powered Milk element seems to have a lot of Carbs.

Has any of you tried the Easiyo ? Does it produce nice tasting yogurt if you DIY? Do you have to put the Powered Milk in? Will it be wartery without?

Any information, opinions or experiences would be really appreciated, before I fill another space in the back of the garage with another gadget.

Many Thanks
Dodge

Paiste

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being diabetic..
Never tried it i must say.. sorry :(

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Dodge said:
Any information, opinions or experiences would be really appreciated, before I fill another space in the back of the garage with another gadget.
Many Thanks
Dodge

Hi Dodge and welcome to the forum. :) I'm glad you have found so much useful information on here. Keep reading and ask whatever you would like to know.

Talking about yoghurt machines, we had one, made yoghurts for a while, then decided it was easier to buy them, especially as there is so much choice, more so than with the home made ones, so - guess what - it's in the cellar along with the ice cream maker and the bread machine :( The deep fryer is also there BTW :)

You have possibly already seen this, but just in case, here is our basic information on how to manage your diabetes written by the forum monitors. I see from your profile you have been diabetic for 8 years so you will probably have your own method of coping but this may still help you manage your levels better.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS.
Here is the advice we usually give to newly diagnosed diabetics. We hope that these few ideas gained through experience help you to gain control and give you some understanding of Diabetes. This forum doesn't always follow the recommended dietary advice, you have to work out what works for you as we are all different.

It's not just 'sugars' you need to avoid, diabetes is an inability to process glucose properly. Carbohydrate converts, in the body, to glucose. So it makes sense to reduce the amount of carbohydrate that you eat which includes sugars.

This is NOT a low carb diet suggestion, just a reduction in your intake of carbohydrate. You have to decide yourself how much of a reduction will keep your blood glucose levels in control.

The main carbs to avoid OR reduce are the complex or starchy carbohydrates such as bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, starchy root veg and also any flour based products. The starchy carbs all convert 100% to glucose in the body and raise the blood sugar levels significantly.

If you are on Insulin you may find that reducing the carb intake also means that you can reduce your dose of insulin. This can help you to keep weight gain down as Insulin tends to make you put on weight and eventually cause insulin resistance. This should be done slowly so as not to cause hypos.

The way to find out how different foods affect you is to do regular daily testing and keep a food diary for a couple of weeks. If you test just before eating, then two hours after eating, you will see the effect of certain foods on your blood glucose levels. Some foods, which are slow acting carbohydrates, are absorbed more slowly so you may need to test three or even four hours later to see the effect that these have on your blood glucose levels.

Buy yourself a carb counter book (you can get these on-line) and you will be able to work out how much carbs you are eating, when you test, the reading two hours after should be roughly the same as the before eating reading, if it is then that meal was fine, if it isn’t then you need to check what you have eaten and think about reducing the portion size of carbs.

When you are buying products check the total carbohydrate content, this includes the sugar content. Do not just go by the amount of sugar on the packaging as this is misleading to a diabetic.

As for a tester, try asking the nurse/doctor and explain that you want to be proactive in managing your own diabetes and therefore need to test so that you can see just how foods affect your blood sugar levels. Hopefully this will work ! Sometimes they are not keen to give Type 2’s the strips on prescription, (in the UK) but you can but try!!

If you are an Insulin user in theory you should have no problem getting test strips.

The latest 2010 NICE guidelines for Bg levels are as follows:
Fasting (waking).......between 4 - 7 mmol/l........(Type 1 & 2)
2 hrs after meals......no more than 8.5 mmol/l.....( Type 2)

2hrs after meals....... no more than 9 mmol/l ......(Type 1)

If you are able to keep the post meal numbers lower, so much the better.

It also helps if you can do 30 minutes moderate exercise a day. It doesn't have to be strenuous.

The above is just general advice and it is recommended that you discuss with your HCP before making any changes. You can also ask questions on the forum on anything that is not clear.

Sue/Ken.

Dodge

Hi Daisy1

Thanks for the reply. You’ve hit the nail on the head when you say “coping” I’ve spent hours in supermarkets trying to find low sugar foods, believing that the complex carbs converted to sugar so slowly that they didn’t overly affect the 2 hour post meal test (evening), subsequently eaten decreasing portion sizes to achieve acceptable bg levels, and snacked (I think they call it Grazing) during the day.

For the past 11 days I have Carb counted. (without going bonkers) buying lower Carb foods and avoiding Pasta an Rice (still squinting at the labels) the initial results of which being more stable bg and some weight loss, I’m not overweight, but my BMI is at the higher end of normal.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that through this site and the people who have taken the time and trouble to offer advice and guidance you’ve collectively given me understanding and a better path to control. I feel there’s a bit of light at the end of my tunnel.

Above all you’ve restored confidence, for which I can’t thank you enough.

Regards
Dodge