Hello

daveH3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

Dave here just signed up to the forumn to look for some help ?

Been a Type 2 diabectic for over 30 years, now 61.

At my worst I was 90- 95 kg, doing 60,000 miles a year behind a wheel of car and eating service station food !

Saw the program on the BBC " Fixing Dad" and decided to try and cure myself of Diabetes.

That was in 2015. Long story short did the same RideLondon100 mile bike ride as the program followed by 2 km swim and London Marathon. Chester triathlon. I.e got fit.

Today my weight is down to 72kg, blood sugar are better under control but still takeing insulin, fast and slow, Metformin and couple of blood pressure tabs.
My blood pressure however is 120/80 so normal.

Sadly my GPs is of no use and their advice is just more medication !

Through the TV program found Prof Taylor and Micheal Mosley so followed them. Which has given me vast improvement in my control .

Recently went on the 5-2 diet and my Blood sugar was stabilised and for the last 14 days required no insulin, amazing.

However a side effect is early hours of the morning hypos !
Confirming I takeing no insulin,while on the diet. following low carb high protein diet so moving into ketone I think.

Looking for help and advice on this please.

Does Prof Taylor have a forum ?

Reactions: Paul41 and filly

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Recently went on the 5-2 diet and my Blood sugar was stabilised and for the last 14 days required no insulin, amazing.

However a side effect is early hours of the morning hypos !
How low are those hypos? Are they tested with a CGM or with a fingerprick?

daveH3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya; I use a libre sensor 2 on my phone so can see 24/7 where my blood sugar is.
I am stable all day, its around 2 am I drop to 50mg/dl. It recovered itself you no action .

• Informative
Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya; I use a libre sensor 2 on my phone so can see 24/7 where my blood sugar is.
I am stable all day, its around 2 am I drop to 50mg/dl. It recovered itself you no action .
Next time, I would confirm with a fingerprick test. For me, Libre tends to read lower than blood, and at night there are those pesky compression lows as well.
So it might be you're not actually going low.

• Agree
Reactions: EllieM

daveH3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Next time, I would confirm with a fingerprick test. For me, Libre tends to read lower than blood, and at night there are those pesky compression lows as well.
So it might be you're not actually going low.
What is a compression low ?