Hello

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I am new to the forum - my daughter has recently been diagnosed as a Type 1 Diabetic - she is only 5 and is coping impressively well!! I on the other hand am very up and down - I do not get down in front of her as I show that life still carries on with this condition. I hate that my beautiful 5 year old daughter has this... have any of you gone through this or are going through it?

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Hi and welcome to the forum. There are several parents here with young children with T1 or older children who were diagnosed young. There is a subforum for parents, where most of their posts are. I hope you will learn lots from the forums and and I am sure there is heaps of support here for you. Best wishes.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome to the forum. There are several parents here with young children with T1 or older children who were diagnosed young. There is a subforum for parents, where most of their posts are. I hope you will learn lots from the forums and and I am sure there is heaps of support here for you. Best wishes.
Thanks you! I am just finding my feet on this site and will search for that group! Thanks :)

LauraC27

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I read your post and felt i couldn't leave without writing something back!
I am 26 and was diagnosed Type One 7 weeks ago, I found it scary and upsetting to begin with/still do so i can't imagine with a 5 year old!
I'm in the 'honeymoon period' at the moment (silly name in my opinion! haha) But it means i am injecting less at the moment as my pancreas is having one last go at producing insulin! But i can't imagine how difficult this sometimes can be trying to manage all this as a child. I mean, there's alot to learn and think about! Big hugs to you and your family. I suppose the difficulty with her being so young is that children don't always tell you how they feel etc. You are bound to be upset and have your ups and downs but it will get easier, you will manage. But there is lots of help out there nowadays, and i joined this forum recently and everyone has been amazing answering my questions! If you ever need to chat feel free to message me! If i can help at all i would be happy to. x

Reactions: 2 people

RuthW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, I got it when I was five, and I'm still hale and hearty and coming up to my fifty-year medal next year, I think.

Reactions: 2 people