Help For My 11 Year Old

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi
My son was diagnosed with Type 1 about 11 months ago and he has been using the libre (self funded) for about 5 months. He doesn’t want to wear a sensor anymore as he says they hurt to put on. Does anyone have any advice about a less painful cgm to insert? Thank you for any help you can offer

D

Deleted Account

I feel for your son.
I have only used Libre and Dexcom and found both use the same technique to apply so equally painful.

I know Abbot only recommend putting the Libre on the arm but some people have applied it elsewhere.
Have you tried this to give your son's arms a rest?

Whilst I find them a little painful to insert, the pain wears off pretty quickly for me.
I say this because a similar approach is used for the canulas for insulin pumps.
You may not have considered a pump yet but it would be a shame if you discount it in the future because of your son's experience applying the Libre.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
have a look at t1 -cgm on facebook, there are loads of ways to make things less painful for kiddys including ice or numbing cream :)

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I feel for your son.
I have only used Libre and Dexcom and found both use the same technique to apply so equally painful.

I know Abbot only recommend putting the Libre on the arm but some people have applied it elsewhere.
Have you tried this to give your son's arms a rest?

Whilst I find them a little painful to insert, the pain wears off pretty quickly for me.
I say this because a similar approach is used for the canulas for insulin pumps.
You may not have considered a pump yet but it would be a shame if you discount it in the future because of your son's experience applying the Libre.

Thank you for your top tips. He let me help him insert on his leg yesterday and he said it was much better. We will see what readings we get! He is two weeks into using the Ypso pump (Canula on other leg) and that seems to be ok too.