Help!! Husband Newly Diagnosed type 2, what do I feed him??

Skippy84

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi all,
My husband has been diagnosed as type 2 for less than a week. I have read some on the posts on here and find all the info very confusing. My question is what do I feed him on a day to day basis including snacks? He doesn't like milk and veg but likes some types of fruit, he loves nuts and cheese. Can he still eat things such as Nutella, sausages, bacon? Can I bake him some sugar free biscuits? What about the diabetic chocolate and sweets available to buy?
Thanks in advance
Skippy84

Reactions: 5 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
nuts and cheese are generally ok, Nutella I wouldn't eat, sausages (esp good quality ones) should be fine and bacon. Be careful with fruits as they have often have a high glycemic index (how fast the sugars get into the blood stream) I find berries are very good and apples are ok. Tropical fruits are generally the worst.

As a rule it isn't only sugars but all carbohydrate you need to consider as it all turns into sugar in the body. The question is how fast and how much he can tolerate and that is a very personal thing to each individual. The only way to find out is to test.

Many people on the site do low carb and high fat. Some follow the NHS guidelines of high carbs but low glycemic index. Your husband will need to find the correct path for him.

You will find flour will likely not be good for your husband whether your biscuits are sugar free or not I am afraid. Stay away from diabetic chocolate unless you want him to live on the toilet. I eat 85% dark chocolate (one square per day it is about 1 gram of carb).

I am sure Daisy will be on to give you some basic information to help you.

Reactions: 7 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Hi, Welcome,

Understandably you have lots of questions and you came to the right place for answers, lucky him to have you looking after him, try not to panic is the first trick although easier said than done

as said lots of us follow a low carb diet so i would have a read of some forum posts, its the only way in my opinion, no other way makes any sense to me and there is a huge amount of evidence in its favour, on the up side nuts and cheese are perfect for low carbing

baking using flour is very bad as the flour is effectively sugar once digested (this is simplified) almond flour/ground almonds are great for baking biscuits, have a read of the forums recipe section, there are loads of suitable alternatives to using flour

you may read some differences of opinion on the forum because there isnt a single solution that suits everyone

do you have a self testing blood glucose meter? if not its essential you get one and test hes blood with a finger prick test before he eats and 2 hours after to see the effect the food is having on hes levels,

this is just scratching the surface, please read as much as possible and it will eventually make sense

ask any questions you come across, best of luck

Reactions: 9 people

Skippy84

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks I will look at the recipes, he's not got a blood test machine as yet, we are seeing the diabetic nurse on Thursday so we will ask about one then. He's currently taking 500mg metformin once a day, we chose tea time for the tablet as he works shifts and it will be easier at tea time :)

K

Kat100

Hello,
There are many different diets it's about what is best for your husband....
There is also much baking you can do....
Take it slowly read what you can and discuss with health professionals who can help you also.
I do eat some diabetic chocolate sometimes, but I am getting used to the 70% plus chocolate , I panicked when I was first diagnosed and went for all diabetic labels, but not any more! there was so much to learn and I am still learning....
Somedays I forget what I have learnt because health can be hard to balance depending on our needs and change....
It is early days yet and it is a shock....I am not sure when we start to get over that shock, I guess it's different for everyone,
Hope I have not confussed you further, it is not so straight forward at times....take care....Kat..

Reactions: 4 people

Mazzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Skippy,

Don't be surprised when you see the diabetic nurse that she tells you that you do not need to test, the NHS do not supply T2 diabetics with meters and strips unless you are really lucky. You will have to buy these yourself. They will also probably tell you to feed him starchy foods, i.e wholemeal bread, pasta, rice, cereals, but most T2 diabetics can only tolerate these in small amounts. Unfortunately the NHS have not yet realised that carbohydrates raise blood sugar levels, so have a good look round the forums to see what other people do. There are lots of recipe ideas for cakes and biscuits made with Almond or Coconut flour (if your husband has a sweet tooth) As mentioned above everyone is different and the only way to tell what will work for your husband is to test. You are in the right place for lots of good advice and friendly people who will answer any questions you have. I was diagnosed in February this year and I haven't yet seen a dietician, but by experimenting with the help of everyone here my blood sugar levels have been really good and I haven't felt this good in ages.

Hope this help, take care.

Marilyn

Reactions: 10 people

Skippy84

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
There are so many recipes, what's best almond flour or coconut flour? And any recipes for biscuits with either of these that people have found easy to do?

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
There are so many recipes, what's best almond flour or coconut flour? And any recipes for biscuits with either of these that people have found easy to do?

super easy, super tasty

Coconut macaroons are very easy to make. They have only four ingredients, mix up easily, and require only 15 minutes to cook. The only trick, especially when not using sugar (which attracts moisture), is keeping them from being too dry. Here's how I do it.
Ingredients:
  • 2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 4 egg whites from large eggs (should be about ½ cup)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup sugar substitute
  • about 2 Tablespoons water
Preparation:
1) Heat oven to 375 F. Line baking sheet with either parchment paper on a silicone mat.
2) Measure egg whites. If they aren't quite ½ cup, add a little water to reach that level. Then add the vanilla, liquid sweetener if using, and water so that sweetener and water together equal 2 Tablespoons.

3) If using powdered sweetener, mix in with unsweetened coconut.

4) Mix dry and wet ingredients together. The mixture should just hold together. Let set a minute or two and you'll be able to mold them better.

5) Roll into balls a little bigger than an inch in diameter. Slightly flatten and put on baking sheet (whatever shape you put them in is how they will stay, so this is your chance). Put at least half an inch apart.

6) Turn down the oven to 325 F, and bake for about 15 minutes, but start checking them a couple of minutes before. You want them golden brown on the bottom, and just barely starting to brown on top (though if you like them a little crispier, bake a couple of minutes longer).

Makes about 14 cookies, but yield will vary based on size of the cookies.

Nutritional Information: Each cookie has 1 gram effective carbohydrate plus 2 grams fiber, 2 grams protein, and 76 calories.

Ingredients:

Servings:
16-18
Units: US | Metric
2 cups almond flour
1/2 cup Splenda Sugar Blend for Baking
1/2 cup softened butter, replace with what ingredient (if you want cookie that holds together a little more easily replace 2 tablespoons of butter with 1 l)
1/2 teaspoon salt (if using salted butter, omit salt here)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 egg (optional)
Directions:

Preheat oven to 300°F.
Using and electric mixer blend softened butter for a minute. Add remaining ingredients and mix together.
Form dough into walnut sized balls and place onto ungreased cookie sheet. The oil from the butter and almond flour grease the sheet as the cookie bakes.
Bake for 5 minutes. Press down lightly with fork, then continue to bake another 18 minutes. The cookies do not brown.
Let cool on sheet for 5 minutes before removing.
For a more festive look, you can drizzle a little melted chocolate (sugar-free, of course) on top.

my top tip is look at this blog

http://www.diabeticgoodbaking.com/

its awesome

Reactions: 6 people
K

Kat100

Some people use normal flour or organic flour...
Some people mix their flours giving have and half...
Similar with sugar for baking with low sugar or sugar substitutes....

I have used rice flour and xylitiol (total) sweet for shortbread....

Take lots of questions for your appointment ...

I have a great NHS dietitein who has given me great encouragement with advice and baking, I would of been lost without her in tne early days..
You can ask to see one if you feel,you would like to....

Reactions: 2 people

Happy talk

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm newly diagnosed too. Also discovered have an enlarged liver so I'm struggling to find foods to eat as must things that are low in fat are high in sugars. I'm getting quite depressed with it all and although insulin keeps being increased my sugars are always in double figures and I'm eating nothing bad at all. Any suggestions would be greatfully received x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i would STRONGLY recommend testing bloods if using normal flour, for me normal is a no no

also i have had an opposite experience to kat, my health care providers (what a joke) have been criminal, ive seen about 10 dieticians over the last 10 years with my daughter and i have to say, they have been at best useless offering dangerous advice, i hope your experience is similar to kats but ill be surprised

Reactions: 6 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
I'm newly diagnosed too. Also discovered have an enlarged liver so I'm struggling to find foods to eat as must things that are low in fat are high in sugars. I'm getting quite depressed with it all and although insulin keeps being increased my sugars are always in double figures and I'm eating nothing bad at all. Any suggestions would be greatfully received x

hi, welcome

have you tried reducing your carbs? many insulin using people find it helpful, im afraid im type 2 and i have zero knowledge of insulin so cant offer any advice

Mazzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Hi Skippy, there is a recipe for Almond biscuits on www.food.com/recipe/low carb Almond cookies, but for some reason I can't get the link to work. Also Andy's coconut macaroons sound delicious, I will definitely be giving them a go. I got my coconut and Almond flour from Amazon which was the cheapest I could find.

Marilyn

Mazzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i would STRONGLY recommend testing bloods if using normal flour, for me normal is a no no

also i have had an opposite experience to kat, my health care providers (what a joke) have been criminal, ive seen about 10 dieticians over the last 10 years with my daughter and i have to say, they have been at best useless offering dangerous advice, i hope your experience is similar to kats but ill be surprised

I couldn't agree more, I am just glad I found this place, the information I have found on here makes far more sense than the health care providers.
Marilyn

Reactions: 8 people
K

Kat100

Yes I have been lucky....I have a direct telelphone number to the hospital office and see my dietitian in the surgery ....

I can't say all my NHS appoints have been great though re...other health problems but I have been lucky with my dietitian ...

A lot of my NHS appoints have made my life awful.....but that is not for his thread....

Last edited:

Skippy84

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks all, we were floundering until we found this site, "is this ok, is that ok?" we appreciate the advice very much :)

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
we are all the same in the early days of diagnosis, it take a while to get your head around everything so dont worry when things seem complicated etc, with time you will see diabetes isnt actually too bad and for some, gaining control of it will mean gaining control of your lifestyle which will lead to a longer healthier life than you could have hoped for without this kick up the bum :)

keep reading, keep asking questions, always take multiple opinions into account :)

and remember you will encounter some nut jobs online lol

Reactions: 5 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The posts so far have given a lot of useful information. Just be careful with NHS dieticians as many are way out of date with their knowledge and only understand 'low fat and low salt'. Carbs are the problem for us as any meter reading after a meal will prove. Nuts, bacon, quality sausages and protein and a sensible level of fat are fine. Just choose fruit with some thought. If you low-carb you don't have to have high fat as fat is not relevant to diabetes; you just need enough fat and protein to give you the calories you need. I have 85% dark chocolate and the labels show just how low the carb level is compared with popular milky types