Help! I have so much weight to lose

janewatt

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the hug, it was well received. I might be needing lots of those.! The 7 miles walking, is just 7 miles in a day - not a straight 7 miles, so it's not that impressive really. I sooooo want to get back to this though as I have had a lazy winter.

Thanks so much for your support
Wrong! It is impressive - a great many people do not do this much! So acknowledge this was good and will be when you reach that target again.

Bon courage!
Jane.

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
time for an update before my weigh-in tomorrow.

In the time since I took that huge step in telling you all my problems and plans, I have simply been trying to get back to eating LCHF and moving a bit more. Nothing too structured to start with. I have plenty of time for that later. So I will jump straight into telling you about this weekend which turned out to be surprisingly good.

My husband, younger son and myself had tickets for Wembley. My elder son was going to a wedding. We weren't too hopeful about the football result; I am usually optimistic when I go to support a team, even if on paper there is no way they can win. This time, even I thought defeat was inevitable. We had planned on going to London for the game and then having a meal and coming home. However my son was invited to visit a friend that evening, so we changed things round a bit. We made our way to London separately in two cars, meeting up at a tube station. Our main focus of the day was not football, but having a good bit of family time together. So a walk, lunch, another walk, football was the plan. I made a conscious effort to go up the stairs wherever possible, which to be fair I nearly always do anyway, unless my ankle/knee/hip is playing up. Until Saturday, a mile was the longest distance I had walked in 2014.

We got off the tube at Piccadilly and walked to Covent Garden. We chose somewhere to eat, but they weren't opening for another quarter of an hour, so we retraced our steps and went back to a pub where we had eaten on a previous visit. We ordered drinks, I had a large bottle of sparkling mineral water with ice and lemon, so the others could have some too if they wanted. First big challenge. Food. There were a couple of healthy LCHF dishes on the menu, but I didn't really fancy them. I wanted the burger with blue cheese and caramelised onions. So that was what I ordered, with an extra side salad. The waitress was too hurried (there were several empty tables at that stage, so there was no need to be quite so rushed with us) so she didn't listen properly when we ordered and brought garlic bread (which looked wonderfully delicious) instead of my salad. I was slow to react, my husband didn't notice anything was amiss, but my son quickly said 'excuse me, this isn't what we ordered, we ordered a side salad'.

During the meal the waitress kept trying to take glasses and dishes away when we hadn't finished with them. I'm afraid she didn't get a tip. I ate the burger and salad and left the bun and ate 3 chips. I made a mental note that next time I would ask to exchange the chips for salad as well as having a side salad and the salad that already came with the meal. The waitress did me a favour by being so awful, so we didn't even consider desserts, we were glad to be leaving, even though the meals were very nice.

Next a walk. My son suggested walking to Green Park and my husband suggested Baker Street. Suddenly I felt very down. I would have liked to have suggested we walk to Wembley, but knew I wasn't up to that yet, and anyway we hadn't really left enough time for that. So I chose Baker Street, but not the direct route, we chose roads we had never been to before so it was more interesting and a little further. I don't know how far we walked altogether, but I know it was further than a mile and less than my first goal of 7 miles - the walk from Wembley Park Underground station to our entrance to the ground must have been half a mile or so.

Challenge number 2 came when we were walking round the concourse inside Wembley. I walked past the refreshments. I didn't want anything hot because I had had a lovely lunch. I walked past the snacks and noted my reaction. My favourite crisps...Walkers ready salted and Walkers cheese and onion. The packs did not entice me as they would have 10 days ago. I didn't need or want anything to eat. Good. I looked at the diet Coke (another thing which would have caused me huge problems 10 days ago......you know what I mean.....one won't hurt.....) No, not at all appealing, no craving there then. Good, looks like I was back on track with LCHF. I chose water.

Next the match. We didn't lose!!!!!!!!!! - Largely thanks to the BFG (Per Mertesacker for anyone who doesn't follow football) who scored the equaliser. I will make another post about my reactions to this goal later today, because I felt dreadful (!). This post is already far too long so I'll explain this comment later.

So we won on penalties and whilst still in the ground celebrating this, I had a lovely surprise. Now, as a stay-at-home wife and mother, one of my roles is ticket buying for my family and sometimes their friends, who are also members, but don't have the time to queue endlessly on the phone or computer because they are working. Two of my son's friends made the effort to come over and celebrate with us and say 'thanks' for getting the tickets. This meant a lot to me as I don't see so much of these guys now they are grown up.

Sunday. Aching muscles and pains in feet. How does anyone run a marathon????!!!! Normally I would rest when I ache so much, but in the afternoon we went for a walk by the canal for about a mile.

I will try to get out for a short walk later today, but I have a few things to do first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's days like those that make the struggle to get back up again worthwhile.

It's a pity you weren't wearing a pedometer. I think you might have been surprised how far you went. All those distractions make the steps melt away.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
well done, you've reminded yourself there is a life with LCHF and it's not one or the other

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's a pity you weren't wearing a pedometer. I think you might have been surprised how far you went. All those distractions make the steps melt away.
Yes, I have tried to find my old pedometer, but I have hidden it away far too well. I have now ordered a new one, because I will definitely need one when walking becomes a chore again.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's days like those that make the struggle to get back up again worthwhile

Yes definitely. Can you remind me of this next time I fall, please?! I find your name very calming and I do the 'and breathe' bit every time I read one of your posts!

Last edited by a moderator:

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi again,

In my long post earlier today I said I needed to explain my reaction to a goal being scored at a footie match. When Mertesacker scored the equaliser on Saturday, I was standing. Everyone leapt up and down when he scored. I sat down and cried a little and shook a lot and felt dreadful for quite a few minutes. It wasn't always like this I used to jump about like the rest of them, then one day.......

It was towards the end of last year. I had been to one or two matches, but I wanted to go to a European match again. (not that I have been to that many ever - too expensive) It was just one of my ambitions after my heart procedure, I wanted to get back to normal and enjoy life again. So, November 6th I went to Dortmund with my husband to watch Arsenal in the Champions league. It was a miserable day, raining heavily for most of the time. We had to get up at around 3 am to get to Luton in time for the flight. We flew back that night, so it was 28 hours without more than a few minutes sleep.

All went well until that wonderful moment when Aaron Ramsey scored. This was amazing. Dortmund had only lost at home once in the previous 60ish games. We were all standing anyway, as away fans often do. Our seats were at the front of a block so there was a walkway in front of us and then another block of seats. Obviously the crowd went wild. Then I felt a thud (it was either a foot or a knee) to my back, top left. It was so painful and such a shock that I passed out and fell. I couldn't hear the noise in the stadium anymore or see anything. I was just aware of falling into the blackness. Then I felt a horrendous pain and heard a big crack and went back into the darkness. I stayed there on the ground until my husband shook me and said 'are you OK?' I said 'no, I feel faint'. He told me to stay where I was as people were still going wild. I was aware of him shielding me with his body and I went back to sleep again. until he said I could get up. I later learned that 6 men from our row stood around my husband protecting him from being pushed into me. I was told that a (drunk) young man from several rows back had been jumping up and down on his seat and plunged forward over everyone, landing in the stand in front of me, but kicking me as he jumped over me. I fell and broke my sternum against a metal bar which was supporting the next row of seats. This was the 'crack' I had heard. I also broke a rib high up on my left side. I had landed with one foot on the ground and one knee on the ground. Amazingly my knee was fine, not even slightly sore or grazed. I had no bruises or marks anywhere at all.....just the 2 breaks, but no bruise. I remained sitting for the rest of the game, watching it on the screen.

I was actually very lucky...If I the bar had hit me a bit higher up, I could have broken my collar bone, or hurt my throat, or broken my jaw, or smashed all of my front teeth or turned my nose to a pulp.

I was a bit naughty and took a risk, because I didn't tell my husband that I knew that I had definitely broken something until we landed in Luton. I didn't want anyone to stop me flying home that night. I thought 'they' might say I had to have a check up before I flew, because I was at risk of puncturing a lung while I was in a pressurised cabin. I did as many deep breaths as I could myself and decided my air intake was fine first...Yes I know....what if.....I just wanted to get home.

Now since that night, if I am at a match and the team I am supporting scores, I panic and go to pieces. (Arsenal have been extremely kind in that they haven't scored that many when I have been to watch them since that day).

So how can I get over this fear (not sure if I should call it a phobia or not as, to me, this is a rational fear) ? Do I just keep going and hope that it will gradually get better? Should I stay home and grow old gracefully (boringly)? I do feel stupid when I start to cry and it has happened a few times now. I didn't cry when the accident happened so it's pretty weak to cry now. I am concerned that one day I will be spotted by the cameras of Match of the Day 2, and labelled as the fan with a ticket to the wrong section of the ground, because I am crying when a goal is scored.

This is all fairly trivial I know. It's just that I want to lose weight and get fitter so that I can do things again, not so that I can sit at home safely. Has anyone got any tips to help?

Reactions: 4 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another of those times when you metaphorically, and maybe even literally, drag yourself back to your feet. :)

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Talk about going through the wars! Really glad you're back on your feet figuratively and literally and back on track with LCHF! Good for you! I found this cartoon and thought it might bring a rye smile to your face!
image.jpg

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
Thanks AndBreathe. Today the task does seem enormous. I have tried to walk, but not managed to get very far at all. I thought it would be fairly easy to get back to last Summer's fitness levels but I ache at the slightest effort. I have no inclination to organise my meals either, though I have been making healthy choices. I am beginning to regret telling everyone! I have always just quietly got on with trying to lose weight before. This had limited success, so in the spirit of 'If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got' I decided to change my methods this time.

Maybe tomorrow will be better.

Know what zand? It's never easy to get back to something that used to be...so why try to? What I mean is that what used to be isn't what's now is it? Right now you are the weight you are with the fitness level you have so go with that. Walk as far as you can today then tomorrow off you go again and gradually you will find that you are able to do more each day, walk further each day and feel fitter each day. For now, your calves will ache and your breath will come in gasps, you will be sweaty and you won't feel like the books say you ought to after exercise BUT in time your aches will go and your breath won't feel like it's being dragged up from underground! The only way you will achieve any of this is with persistence. Anyone who has ever achieved anything worth while has done it with day after day persistence. Ask Andy, the King of Persistence :happy: He would never have run that London Marathon without it. Now maybe your next goal is walking around the block without collapsing but at least it IS a goal sweetie. And you will do it, really you will.

You are a magnificent person zand, courageous and willing to work hard. Nothing will stand in your way.

Oh, the Places You'll Go!
by Dr. Seuss

Congratulations!
Today is your day.
You're off to Great Places!
You're off and away!

You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes
You can steer yourself
any direction you choose.
You're on your own. And you know what you know.
And YOU are the guy who'll decide where to go.

This wonderful poem is pretty long so here's the link. Believe it because you can do it.

http://homepages.ius.edu/HARRISLA/places.htm

Go zand!! :joyful:

Reactions: 10 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Popsy. I am feeling much better about things now because I have got back into the swing of things. I have also realised that I am much better off healthwise than I was this time last year - I couldn't walk without being bent double for parts of April last year. Now I can easily walk a mile or so. I am still heavier than then though - Sorry I'll try to stop doing the negative comparisons!

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Zand, reading your posts is incredible, im not trying to be encourageing when i say that, i mean it, you have this inner strength thing going on, you are looking at the goal fear thing as a negative but omg no way this is negative, this is strength to the point of reckless by the fact you are even there, and that you even want to be, that experience would be more than enough to put most people off going anywhere near that situation, to me this proves that you have an inner strength and determination i can only aspire to, you can see your own negative comparisons? wow, you can see your progress even when feeling negative? this is amazing stuff, i wished i had the brains to understand what i see in what you write but my intuition is trying to collate it into something, i feel it in every word and get a overwhelming feeling of what an amazing person you are, you have greatness in you, you can do anything you want to, i am in awe

Reactions: 6 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't be daft! You have run a marathon! That's awesome. One of my regrets is that I'll never manage a Park run now. A marathon was never even in my dreams.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
its all relative, i am just lucky enough to have been able to do that, i read a story of an account at the childrens trust of this child who made a few steps, it was an incredible story, and so inspirational, its not about how far we can go, its about how tough our souls are, thats where the strength is, how strong we are inside, not how far our legs can carry us, but how high our spirit can lift us

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
its all relative, i am just lucky enough to have been able to do that, i read a story of an account at the childrens trust of this child who made a few steps, it was an incredible story, and so inspirational, its not about how far we can go, its about how tough our souls are, thats where the strength is, how strong we are inside, not how far our legs can carry us, but how high our spirit can lift us
Thank you for that Andy. A wonderful post and something I will use to succeed in my daily life. :)

Sent from DCUK App

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
i wished i had the brains to understand what i see in what you write but my intuition is trying to collate it into something,

I think it may simply be sheer stubborn bloody-mindedness.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK so I have been to SW to be weighed this morning (just to be weighed, I don't hang around for the meetings)

This week I have lost 2.5 pounds, so that's 3.5 pounds since I started this thread.

I am writing the next bit for myself, as a reminder,as well as for you guys.
I know that many people lose more weight than this at the start of a new diet/lifestyle. I am truly pleased for them. I suspect that these are mainly folks who have gradually put on weight over the years and then been stopped in their tracks by a health issue, be it diabetes, high blood pressure, whatever. It isn't like that for me, I have spent so many years doing so very many diets, that my body has learned to go into 'famine mode'. I do not lose weight easily (I hope Metformin really does change this for me). ( I am also getting my vitamin D levels and my thyroid checked again this afternoon.) To illustrate this I am going to repeat something I put on another thread, apologies if you have read it before, but when I have a 'bad week' and don't lose any weight (or even put some on) I will need to remind myself.

In 2007 my son and I had flu. Really bad flu. We didn't eat anything at all for 5 days, managing only to sip water. For the next 5-6 days we ate around 200-400 calories a day, that's all we could manage. After this we weighed. My son, who didn't have any weight to lose at the start of the illness lost 11.5 pounds. I lost 0.5 pounds. This was a turning point for me and I knew I had to stop cutting down on what I ate and find a different way. Dieting was never going to work if I couldn't lose weight when eating nothing at all.

So the fact that I have lost as much as 2.5 pounds in a week is massive for me. I haven't been calorie counting but I know I have been consuming a lot more than 200-400 calories, so my body is working better now. I need to compare myself with me, not with others. If I do the latter it usually ends with a box of chocolates and a bottle of wine. Not this time.

Reactions: 4 people