Help is at hand from my good self!

Steve type2prediab

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Not being able to have risotto rice anymore, however, it's possible to make a variant with pasta instead of rice, so maybe that but using buckwheat pasta.
Hi Steve, thanks for your reply.

" I've read so many different sites about nutrition lately and the one thing that gets to me is the fact that nobody really elaborates on their facts."

That's exactly the same theme that has been occurring to me when I read various sites, and I think that in some cases when much attention is focused on various topics without enough critical analysis also being applied to some topics, true understanding is lost, and erroneous conclusions are drawn, which then become accepted almost as dogma, and essential parts of the wider issue and context are lost.

" I can't elaborate too much really, as I'm not a professional, but I am pretty sure that wholefoods are easier on the blood sugar as I've been eating wheat bran with flaxseeds for breakfast using Soya milk, not cow's milk, and it has never raised my blood sugar, yet I still feel full for hours."

I think there is an obvious and common sense explanation of the reason for the advantages of unprocessed whole foods, and you addressed that in your comment about wholemeal bread production, and so does the glycemic load index, because built into the GL index, but hidden from view, is what I think is one of the most important factors in a good diab diet, and that is TIME.

Not just the final amount of glucose that a given amount of a particular food produces, but also how quickly or how slowly it is produced, because one of the most crucial aspects of a good diab diet is not just how much glucose enters the bloodstream but the speed at which it enters, and I think that over emphasis on the source of the glucose is obscuring the critical importance of the time factor, and especially for newly diagnosed diabs that is making it even more difficult for them to find an appropriate diet and the resultant confusion is making them even more fearful and stressed than they already are.

Over emphasis on the details is causing the bigger picture to be obscured.

"Everyone is different though and what is good for me isn't always good for another."

Exactly so, and it seems logical to me to suppose that a person with higher fasting blood glucose levels would be less able to cope with something such as a slice of processed bread than might a person with lower fasting glucose levels, and as you said, there are carbs, and there are carbs, and it always seems to be bread which causes the most problems, and then that is identified as a problem solely because it is a carb, but I haven't yet heard of anyone freaking about lentils.

Sent from my GT-S5363 using DCUK Forum mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Not sure if your post above, (which is essentially not your post as it appears to just quote Jenny) came from a private message? If so, it is bad form, so if you both want to converse with each other privately then, fine go ahead, but keep it private.

I won't be contributing further to the thread other than to say Steve type2prediab, as you are pre-diabetic there is a window of opportunity for you to avoid becoming diabetic. There is lots of advice on the forum from people with experience of T2 who have avoided or reversed T2diabetes. Legitimate advice based on experience and scientific research. Please explore the forum and find the right solution for your individual circumstances.
I wish you well.
Pipp

Jenny39579

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just to tell you more about myself. I'm a type one diabetic, have been for 16 years.

I know very little about type 2 diabetes, but something I do know is being overweight can be a contributory factor towards type 2, therefore, a healthy diet would possibly lead to weight loss which might help prevent type 2. But there are so many factors to consider. In my case, diabetes is rife on my paternal side. My dad is 3rd generation diabetic, but the first in the family to suffer type one. So it's all quite interesting.

Genetics probably play a big part, almost certainly I'm my family.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apparently, I've been told by my epilepsy nurse that high fat diets are supposedly good in controlling seizures. Don't know if she's right or not really. ;););)

She appears to be correct! One of the things I was surprised to discover when I was researching low carb/kKetogenic diets was that they can be used to control epilepsy. Try Google or have a look at this site.

And welcome!

Robbity

Jenny39579

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey Robbity,

Cool to hear from you.

Being the research freak that I am, I have looked into high fat diets to see if they can help epileptic seizures, but all I find was scientific evidence that it improved seizures in children.

I'm 31, so I don't know what to make of that. Haha.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I went on a mission to research the low carbohydrate diet. Many of you who have tried this diet in the past will know the hunger pangs you can get along with headaches when you're missing out on bread, pasta, rice, potatoes etc,

Just wondering Jenny ...have you had these problems yourself? I didn't get headaches, though I know some people get 'low-carb flu', I didn't. I also found that when I cut out those big four high carb things you mention I got less hungry; the less carbs I eat, the less hungry I am. I hesitated for a while before posting this because I don't want to seem like I'm bullying a newbie, it is a genuine question. I know we are all different.

Sorry to hear about your Dad, but it is at least a positive in that it has made you wake up to the possibilities of problems for yourself later on. It's not nice seeing loved ones suffer though is it? All the best for your new health regime, keep us informed of how you are getting on, won't you?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Please remember the forum rules. Personal references will not be tolerated and the use of the word troll, in any form to another member is unacceptable,
Try and keep to the topic guys, and if anyone sees a post they find offensive or inappropriate, please inform the Mod team by clicking report. It's about help and support.

Many thanks

Reactions: 5 people

Jenny39579

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have found all my life to be drawn to carbohydrates. I love meat, but I would swap a nice juicy steak for just the chips any day.

Also, the amount of meat that I needed to replace the carbohydrate was starting to become expensive, and as I was on a budget at the time, I was finding myself struggling financially, but obviously I still needed to eat healthily.

I missed carbohydrate, particularly bread. So I got myself online to get advice about healthy foods that would fill me up but keep my blood sugar ticking over nicely. And read about high fibre foods, and although fibre is carbohydrate, I felt full up for longer, and less inclined to reach for the crisps throughout the meal.

I also bought a book about low gi and low gl foods. I was pleased as punch that nuts, some beans and seeds are not only healthy sources of fat that can bring down your bad cholesterol, but it was something I could snack on, or add to salads to make them more exciting.

But Yeah, I have to admit, I used to get real bad headaches if I missed out on bread, potatoes etc. Even cow's milk was raising my blood sugar.

I don't know, maybe it's just the way my body is. We're all different. :):)

Reactions: 7 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes that's the thing about carbohydrates isn't it? - in the main they are cheap. Also easy to grab as a snack and I find them to be very addictive, so it looks like I'm lucky not to suffer from the headaches, because like you I have been drawn to them all my life too.

Jenny39579

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well, it's not getting me down too much. I love cooking, and I've been enjoying trying new foods to experiment with. Almonds are great if I get the "crisps urge". Ooh, and pork scratchings, but I limit them to once a week because obviously they are pure fat - not good! :)

A

AnnieC

i find those film clips patronising, and for some dangerous advice to follow.
This is precisely the sort of advice I was given when I was prediabetic. Followed it slavishly, and what do you know? I became diabetic! Still not linking the advice to my diabetic status I continued to follow the advice. Diabetes remained and I grew very, very fat! Some of us T2, (probably many of us) have a problem with the carbs, even the 'healthy' whole-food carbs. They just raise blood glucose levels.

Why do you find the videos patronising and dangerous advice seems you are saying we should not take any notice of them. For some the healthy whole foods are perfectly ok and not raise their BG for others they can only tolerate very litte we take what we think is best for us from anything we see or read about Just as Jenny is telling us how her diet is helping her but it may not work for others..

Last edited:

Jenny39579

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Whole foods can be very high in calories, so you do need to be careful with them. Baked beans are very high in calories, but that's due to the sauce they're in. The sauce is packed full of sugar. Baked beans are Haricot beans. You can get them in Tesco in the whole foods section and you can cook up a nice tomato sauce yourself and mix the beans in. You know exactly what's going in them then.

I actually really enjoy using ingredients that are new to me.

:)

C

catherinecherub

Everything I've mentioned in my thread is genuine, and I can reassure people who think I'm selling something that I'm not.

My thread is something I wanted to share with people, because the information I've provided has helped me, as an individual.

I'm not a nutritionist as I've already stated, but have been testing the glycemic load on myself. I've had a few hypos along the way, but when I was eating a higher carbohydrate diet, my blood sugars were very high.

I don't know much about the glycemic load, and I've also stated this in my first post, but I just wanted to share my experiences after trying a diet, which works for me that might help somebody else.

I guess I should have introduced myself more, but I just felt excited about my first thread on here. ;)

Hi Jenny and welcome.

How about changing the title of your thread. It implies that you have found the perfect advice for diabetics and are going to help us all. I think forum members, myself included, would think that you are going to tell us what we need to do to control our diabetes. Diabetes has to be self managed and there are several factors that will affect blood sugar readings, exercise or lack of, genetics, food likes and dislikes, medication for other health problems, stress...the list is endless. Some people have to manage their diabetes whilst battling with other chronic diseases that limit what they can and cannot eat.

There is already a wealth of information on this forum and people are individuals and react differently to different foods. You cannot put forward a blueprint for diet as it does not exist. Many Type 2s are denied test strips and so have to either fund them themselves or rely on their HBA1c test and it is not an ideal situation. They could eat your recipes and not know the outcome.
I suggest you spend time reading the forum and will see that there is also plenty of advice for you and everyone else. There are several methods that people have found success with.

If you would like more information on the GI/GL then I would recommend this site,
http://www.glycemicindex.com/

Reactions: 7 people

Jenny39579

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Catherine,

Thanks for your post.

I realise now that the title I gave to my thread was quite silly on my part. The reasoning behind the name wasn't to give the impression that I had the perfect solution for blood sugar management, but just a light hearted title that seems to have been mis-construde.

My thread is to offer advice for people struggling with their diets. It's not suitable for everyone, and I understand that, but it is working for me and I really thought I could help others.

I have stated in my first post that I'm no nutritionist and I'm no low gl expert, so it's upto the recipients to take or leave my advice.

I just really thought I could make a difference to people like myself.

How do I change the thread title? Because I'm feeling pretty down about the negative comments I've been getting, considering Diabetes is a very serious issue, and I spent an hour writing my first post last night.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi, welcome :)

sorry i missed an opportunity to have a fight and to get in trouble but your title scared me from reading your post hehe

you sound very nice and hope you are able to learn as well as teach us :)

Reactions: 2 people
A

AnnieC

Hi Jenny and welcome.

How about changing the title of your thread. It implies that you have found the perfect advice for diabetics and are going to help us all. I think forum members, myself included, would think that you are going to tell us what we need to do to control our diabetes. Diabetes has to be self managed and there are several factors that will affect blood sugar readings, exercise or lack of, genetics, food likes and dislikes, medication for other health problems, stress...the list is endless. Some people have to manage their diabetes whilst battling with other chronic diseases that limit what they can and cannot eat.

There is already a wealth of information on this forum and people are individuals and react differently to different foods. You cannot put forward a blueprint for diet as it does not exist. Many Type 2s are denied test strips and so have to either fund them themselves or rely on their HBA1c test and it is not an ideal situation. They could eat your recipes and not know the outcome.
I suggest you spend time reading the forum and will see that there is also plenty of advice for you and everyone else. There are several methods that people have found success with.

If you would like more information on the GI/GL then I would recommend this site,
http://www.glycemicindex.com/
I don't think that think Jenny's post implied she had the best advice for everyone she was just sharing what works for her because she is happy about it. Isn't that what the forum is about telling others what we do and how it is working. I am sure she is well aware that one diet does not work for everyone She has obviously done a lot of research weighed it all up and has tried out things until she found what worked best for her and therefore is doing what you say and is self managing her diabetes as everyone has to so well done to her. As for trying her recipe without knowing the outcome isn't that how we all find out what we can eat or not...I think I will give it a try it sounds really nice and hopefully will be ok for me

Reactions: 2 people