Help needed: Diabetes type 2

linashjoe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Iam on 4 glicacide and 4 metformin plus daily injectionamd weekly injection I am on steroids and my blood sugars of 29 to 30 please help

linashjoe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Is there any way to reduce my soaring levels at 30plus I dont know what to do im scared

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Iam on 4 glicacide and 4 metformin plus daily injectionamd weekly injection I am on steroids and my blood sugars of 29 to 30 please help
Hi :) do you adapt your food intake at all. You might find that lowering your carb intake a bit helps.
Careful not to go too low on carbs with the glicazide meds you're on though

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'll tag @daisy1 for the information on diet.
To lower blood glucose eat low carb foods, cut out the high carb ones. You should test to see how various foods affect you as it can be very variable - different people react differently, and your medication should have some effect once your number start to drop.
Eating low carb can be VERY effective in lowering blood glucose so it will be a balancing act.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@linashjoe

Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information, mentioned above, which we give to new members. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 147,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why :)
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children with type 1 diabetes, teachers and HCPs.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome!

How long have you been on steroids? Will you be on them long term?

Steroids are well known for causing raised blood glucose levels, and the increase can be significant!
What are your blood glucose levels without the steroids (before you started them)?

Have your medical team given you any advice on bringing your levels down?

While I agree that reducing the carb intake in your diet may help a lot, you are also on gliclazide, and with the steroids too, I would suggest that you introduce any dietary changes slowly and carefully, testing your blood glucose as you do so.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: Ultramum

linashjoe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am type2 diabetic and my bloods are 33.3 have you any advice im also o prednisone 8 daily

SueNSW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Think the only sensible advice would be to see a doctor as soon as you can. Whatever is causing the high blood sugar readings - they are not good, and long term at that sort of level is only going to cause trouble. Are you experiencing any symptoms of high glucose levels - http://www.diabetes.co.uk/Diabetes-and-Hyperglycaemia.html

Have you been able to lower your carb intake at all - as others have suggested here

Hope you can find a way to lower your levels asap

SueNSW

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
OK - seeing your more recent post - have you double checked the reading, did you wash and dry your hands before testing, have you eaten a particularly high carb meal recently.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi again,

I would definitely agree that you need medical advice and treatment to prevent your blood glucose from getting that high.

In the meantime, avoid carbs (they will just be pushing your blood glucose up even more) and drink lots of water. Avoid anything with sugar in it, including fruit juices.

Make an appointment asap, and I would be telling them to consider it urgent.

If you feel any symptoms of ketoacidosis then you need to seek medical attention immediately.

Hope you get this sorted, and please keep posting to let us know how you are doing.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@linashjoe I'm sorry to hear about this - hope you're feeling not too ropey.

I would recommend contacting your local on-call doctor as you're obviously worried and those sugars are indeed very high. You mention you are on injections - now I'm not a type 2 so bear with me - is this insulin, or something else?

In the first instance I would contact your on-call doctor as I hope they will offer you an appointment for this morning. Drink plenty of water, which will help you feel better and will dilute some of that glucose concentration in your blood. Keep testing. Don't drink or eat anything containing carbohydrate as that will raise you further.

But ringing the doctor is a priority.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Without knowing what the other meds actually are? The "daily and weekly injections."

Like the great advice above. Seek professional medical help..

I would suggest if you have a copy of your repeat prescription? Take that with you.
It will help clarify with any doctor what medication you are currently using to manage your condition.

Wishing you all the best!

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am type2 diabetic and my bloods are 33.3 have you any advice im also o prednisone 8 daily

You need to see a doctor as soon as possible. Get an emergency appointment.

You may need insulin temporarily to,get your blood sugar down or schanges to the meds you take or some other medications. It's important you get some help now. I know it's scary but you'll be ok. Just speak to a doctor and get seen.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@azure could you do this thread a big favour? Relocate it to its proper place to maximise T2 support?
It's in the wrong section..

You can scrub this post..! ;)

linashjoe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am on 4 metformin 4 glicacide daily insulin daily and weekly dilugatide on prednisone my bloods are 33.3 any advice