Help please. My BG levels over 19 since after lunch.

Wallin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Help, my BG has been 19.0 since after lunch. All I ate was pasta, and tomato sauce for lunch, and Chicken and rice for dinner. I am very insulin sensitive, and have very brittle diabetes, having had my entire pancreas removed. My doctor has only mentioned corrective doses, but nobody has told me how to calculate the dose, or when to administer it. Any suggestions please.

petdell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Correction doses can be very hit and miss as everyone's insulin needs are different, but I use 1 mark of insulin to reduce BG by 3. Ie if you start at 19 and would like to reduce it to 10 inject 3 marks. But be aware that you could get insulin overlap, which could rapidly reduce levels. Only try this if you are confident in your BG control. My diabetic consultants advice was not to do correction doses whatever the high. But like most type ones I don't like to see highs like that go untreated. Hope this helps a little.

Wallin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
thank you for your reply. 0.5 can lower my BS significantly. However, I am so unstable it can lower me anything from 3-6. I am nervous to do anything, especially as i will be going to bed in a couple of hours.

petdell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Perhaps you could just try increasing your basal dose slightly and hope it comes down overnight.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It must be difficult for you. You don't mention your Bolus ratio and whether you feel you got it right before the two meals.

Wallin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It must be difficult for you. You don't mention your Bolus ratio and whether you feel you got it right before the two meals.
My diabetes doctor has told me to have 5 units of Apidra before breakfast. 4 units before lunch, and 4 units before dinner. My long acting Tresiba is 5 units. I try to limit my carbs to around 40-45 each meal. I only have something sweet if I'm having a hypo.and don't have anything in between meals, and I haven't had a sugary drink or alcohol for over 9 months. Fruit is minimal, and within the overall carbs. Whenever I ask if I can carb count, I'm just told to wait until I've done the DAPHNE course. That is not going to happen until the end of November.
At my wits end, getting nowhere.

Blackers183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Commercial television
Hi Wallin
What is you readings at dinner after you have had pasta and a post lunch reading of 19?
Cheers
David

Wallin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for that. I do try and follow carb counting, but my doctor doesn't want me to alter my unit doses, because I am so insulin sensitive, and can drop from 13.0 to 4.0 within an hour for no apparent reason.
After my panic last night, I did drop to 12.0 before bed.
Thanks again for your advice.

Wallin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Blackers183.before dinner was 18.9, 2 hours later 19.7, then thankfully 13.0 before bed. High I know, but I have been advised not to go to bed under 10.0 as I can also drop very rapidly,.
Thank you for your interest.