Type 1 Help please!!!

Vicky19

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Has anyone taken to many dextro or sugar for a hypo.

My levels were really low and I had some juice and was still going down so I had 5 dextro tablets about 20 mins later, i felt soooooo bad. Has instant diarrhoea, shakes, felt dizzy sweats just really bad. Has anywhere ever had this before? It’s slowing going but still don’t feel great.

Many thanks

Steve_

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your issues. Hope your feeling ok now though? My mum is type 1 and previously when she has had a low, she would have the same side effects that you’ve described with the sweats, dizziness and felt unwell and drained of energy if for several hours after getting back within normal level range. But doesn’t suffer from diarrhoea. Do you have glucose gels for treating your lows? I guess this wasn’t your first low?

Last edited:

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Vicky19 Sorry to read you had problems after treating a hypo. It does not sound pleasant
However, these symptoms are not familiar to me and I have taken more than 5 dextrose in the past.
What were your blood sugars like when you experienced these symptoms? I wonder if your hypo went lower - dizziness, sweats and shakes are all hypo symptoms. I have not heard of diarrhoea being a hypo symptom but maybe it was related to the cause of the hypo - if your stomach did not digest your food properly, you could experience a hypo and diarrhoea. This is only a hypothesis.
I hope you have recovered now. I recommend keeping a closer eye on your levels than usual.

Reactions: EllieM

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It sounds like it maybe the after affects of the hypo making you feel so bad rather than the juice and dextrose.
We’re all different but personally juice and 5 dextrose wouldn’t make me feel bad.
I have made myself feel bad by over treating a hypo but that included far, far more carbs. ( a whole bunch of bananas )

Reactions: EllieM

Vicky19

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Sorry to hear about your issues. Hope your feeling ok now though? My mum is type 1 and previously when she has had the sweats and felt unwell if her level was too high.

Yeah my levels have now gone the other way and really high. Still not feeling right. Think I’ve had a sugar overdose by the looks of it.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
hypos and forum bugs
Yeah my levels have now gone the other way and really high. Still not feeling right. Think I’ve had a sugar overdose by the looks of it.

I think the obvious questions here are how low was your low and how high is your high. It's very very easy to overtreat hypos but I tend to associate bad symptoms afterwards with the depth of the hypo. The lower I go the worse I feel. (The rebound high is just the icing on the cake. :bigtears: )

And honestly, if it's a choice between overtreating and having a rebound high and undertreating (going unconscious and having my brain starved of sugar) I's take the rebound high every time.

Last edited:

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Sometimes we keep dropping before our blood sugars finally start going up. Shakes and sweats are what I get when I go "too low" for me. That too low can vary person to person depending what we are used too.

Vicky19

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My levels dropped down to 2 so that is really low for me, but I actually felt fine until I had the dextro tablets and 20 mins later when my levels were on 6 that’s when I had all these symptoms which was all side effect from those dextro.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
hypos and forum bugs
My levels dropped down to 2 so that is really low for me, but I actually felt fine until I had the dextro tablets and 20 mins later when my levels were on 6 that’s when I had all these symptoms which was all side effect from those dextro.

Honestly, other than the diarrhea those are side effects that I would personally associate with a recovery from a very low blood sugar. I can feel bad for about a day if I go that low. (Luckily it doesn't happen often).