Help,what do i do

Anne0257

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been on Metformin for just over a month and have now been given Gliciazide as well,my GP gave me strips for my BG Meter but told me to use them sparingly and there is no need to do regular BGL but the leaflet says i should because i could get Low blood sugars at least at the start of treament,so do i follow my GP who is our Diabetes GP or the leaflets,so confusing....

Anne0257

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If it was me, I would test as much as I felt comfortable with. If you're getting ok results then you can cut back on the testing. If not, or if you do keep feeling as if you're getting a low sugar level, then keep testing. I would also explain why you need to test more to the doctor and if they still refuse to give you more strips, are you able to buy a short supply to cover you during this inital phase whilst you get used to the new medication? They should be available through your pharmacy. It's not ideal but at least you'd be reassured by being able to test more.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Gliclazide can cause your sugars to go down to a level which might cause a hypo so testing for a while will help guide you on this. The good news is that if Gliclazide does have that effect then your pancreas would appear to be producing insulin quite well when prodded by the drug. Do adjust your diet to control carb intake with low-GI types given preference if you are not already doing so. This together with exercise and the meds should help get the sugars right.